Some Guy: UConn close to signing Hurley | Page 21 | The Boneyard

Some Guy: UConn close to signing Hurley

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
lol, but I thought he was already recruiting for us?

We all know how this one ends.
Maybe it's conditional recruiting.. "What IF I go to UConn, will you go too?" What about Pitt? ..and Seton Hall?" lol Ugh!

Reaction Score
Hopefully AD Dave is outside the Hurley residence right now with the contract.

Screenshot_20180320-084647.jpg

Reaction Score
Why would a rising star like Hurley take a job with ANY school that would throw one of its own under the bus to free up the cap space to hire him? I'm no Kevin Ollie fan, but there's no denying he was a Husky through and through. It was time, I get it. But pay the guy what you owe him. Don't try to "build a case to fire him for breach." No class program would do that. That's the toxic environment Hurley is walking into. A school that's virtually bankrupt. An AD with training wheels. A university president with thin skin and no vision. And, oh yeah, a conference that is trying to wish itself into "Power" status. If I'm Hurley, I run as far and fast as I can from Storrs.
There’s a very good chance Kevin Ollie broke NCAA rules and could be subject to forfeiting his whole buyout. There’s incentive for both sides to reach a settlement, which is likely what will happen.

I know you’re just a salty Pitt or URI fan, but uninformed takes like this are getting old.

And congrats to P5 basketball teams for their conference affiliation, but UConn is still a better basketball program than most of them provided we have a competent coach. People are way too obsessed with the P5 label these days. Yawn

Reaction Score
Source: Coach Hurley set to meet with URI regarding future
But Hurley plans on meeting with URI Athletic Director Thorr Bjorn on Tuesday, with the source also saying Hurley will remain at URI -- for less money -- if Rhode Island's pitch is strong.

Hurley's wish list includes more money for his assistants, more charter flights for the team's road games and a practice facility.

I'd be shocked if URI is able to provide all of that for Hurley.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
But Hurley plans on meeting with URI Athletic Director Thorr Bjorn on Tuesday, with the source also saying Hurley will remain at URI -- for less money -- if Rhode Island's pitch is strong.

Hurley's wish list includes more money for his assistants, more charter flights for the team's road games and a practice facility.

This seems like he is trying to slip out of RI by asking for outrageous for their budget things, then URI says no and then he leaves.

Reaction Score

Yeah...a practice facility? Where is a school like URI going to get money for a practice facility? They'd be much better off letting Hurley go and elevating his Associate Head Coach, and going from there.

It's possible, with a few more years of success, they can be something more akin to VCU or something, and maybe get something like that through, but when their biggest donors is someone giving $800K....they ain't there yet.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Why is it so hard for us to land anyone? Recruit, coach? Always down to the wire and Drama?

Reaction Score
Why is it so hard for us to land anyone? Recruit, coach? Always down to the wire and Drama?
Why are we believing everything that's being posted? Most of these people don't know anything.

Those who are in the know see this as a done deal. Everyone else is blowing smoke or looking for clicks. @tcf15 posted something here that I can believe and seems pretty reasonable, but even that is Hurley asking for the moon and knowing all he'll get is a block of cheese.

Reaction Score
The guy has made a home in RI for 6 years. They are a decent program and while we are a much better brand, we're not exactly Duke or Kentucky. Just a few months ago, people were saying Hurley would only leave for the P5. It would honestly be weird if it didn't come down the wire.

Reaction Score
quoting the zags of the east is serious business Head bang

Content:
N/A
Given By:
A moderator, 1 minute ago
Details of Warning:
Inappropriate Language
Warning Points:
1 (Expires May 20, 2018)

Quick someone publicly warn me too. I wanna known as a bad boy.

Reaction Score
Yeah...a practice facility? Where is a like URI going to get money for a practice facility? They'd be much better off letting Hurley go and elevating his Associate Head Coach, and going from there.

It's possible, with a few more years of success, they can be something more akin to VCU or something, and maybe get something like that through, but when their biggest donors is someone giving $800K....they ain't there yet.
Yeah, and I can't find anything regarding a plan for practice facilities to be built at URI and it's been something Hurley has wanted for a while according to this tweet from Oct 2015. So Hurley probably wants something more than a handshake deal from URI that a practice facility will be built.

Reaction Score
but A10 > AAC - haven't you read the Keaney Blue?
I know. They look just at total number of bids, instead of looking at seeds.

A10 had 4 sub-200 Kenpom teams this year and only 3 in the Top 100. 0 Top 20.
AAC had 2 sub-200, 5 Top 100 (with 3 Top 20). And that's with UConn, Memphis, and Temple down.

The A10 is a pretty good league. It's not a league equal to the American in terms of brands, facilities, etc. When those last three teams get their act together, the conversation is going to seem really silly.

Reaction Score
This was yesterday.
All their sources are saying this. All the sources close to the universities seem to be saying this. It would be a huge epic fail on their part if they got this wrong.

Reaction Score

No way I'm working for a guy named Thorr Bjorn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom