Some Guy: UConn close to signing Hurley | Page 23 | The Boneyard

Some Guy: UConn close to signing Hurley

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
from what i hear they were close to a deal yesterday but I was worried that if we didn't get a signature that URI still has their last chance to get him to stay today. Still expect him to be coming here but if we didn't close it last night and he ends up staying at URI then Benedict needs to be on the hot seat

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Lol. Obtuse

The exit fee would be the destruction of the infrastructure of the athletic dept. With the upcoming TV negotiations, monetizing FB with the new TV deal in 2020 is crucial to being able to afford this coach.

It doesn’t matter if we have large crowds for ECU. The uneven scheduling in the AAC means that UConn only plays an underling once a year.

All the other city teams (SMU, etc) are cool with me. They bring solid teams and coaches. Thank God I don’t have to see DePaul and Leitao 2x a year.

It would be nice if we hear from Hurley today to go with the Penny announcement at Memphis. This is getting to be a fun league.

DePaul was better than SEVEN teams in the AAC this year.

SO MUCH FUN.

Reaction Score
The only reason that Hurley coming here is even a question (as opposed to a given) is because of the league. The league is a disaster.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Why would a rising star like Hurley take a job with ANY school that would throw one of its own under the bus to free up the cap space to hire him? I'm no Kevin Ollie fan, but there's no denying he was a Husky through and through. It was time, I get it. But pay the guy what you owe him. Don't try to "build a case to fire him for breach." No class program would do that. That's the toxic environment Hurley is walking into. A school that's virtually bankrupt. An AD with training wheels. A university president with thin skin and no vision. And, oh yeah, a conference that is trying to wish itself into "Power" status. If I'm Hurley, I run as far and fast as I can from Storrs.

Thank you for your interest in 4-time champion UConn Men's Basketball.

Reaction Score
His team was a lot better this season.

How else would you like to measure it?

The StunningSteve Index of Insanity?

Lmao How did San Diego State work out for you genius. I hope you didn’t put them in any of your parlays

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Which is hard because a lot of it is contradictory.
Everyone wants to be first with the story, but there is no story yet because he hasn't made an announcement, and everyone else is guessing based on their best information.

I am guessing that UConn presented an offer that it felt confident he would accept, and that he gave them enough comfort that it would be acceptable that they still feel confident based on whatever information was gleaned over the past few months or more. But he said he wants to go back and talk with URI's AD just to close it out the right way.

I am also guessing that Pitt's offer--likely the richest and yet the least likely to be accepted--caused him to reconsider his priorities and think about what matters most to him, in that Pitt would mean more money, better conference, better city and lower expectations than UConn.

All of which could lead him back to URI, if URI is able to step up to the table with a significant raise and an even more significant investment in its facilities. It's clearly the lowest risk for him, and in some ways the greatest likelihood of continued success.

I have no idea what URI's ability is to commit to an investment in its facilities that would satisfy Hurley enough for him to stay, but I think today is a monumental day in the history of both of our programs. If Hurley leaves URI, they are undoubtedly taking a huge step backwards instead of capitalizing on what he has built there. If he stays, UConn has struck out in a major way on its universally acknowledged top choice, and his choice to stay with a lower-tier program within the region will speak volumes about the directions of our respective programs. And we will be rudderless and still potentially on the hook for Ollie's contract, with our best hope being someone who everyone knows was far from our first choice to replace him.

Reaction Score
Yet he had a way better team in a way better league than SEVEN AAC coaches.

Other than that tidbit you seem SPOT ON.
People forget that teams have to lose. We focus on the strength of the teams that win, but the Big East is a wrecking ball of a league for the last few years, and DePaul's been at the bottom of it almost simply because someone has to be. They're not a great team, but they'd have finished in the top half of the AAC this year.

Reaction Score
This seems like he is trying to slip out of RI by asking for outrageous for their budget things, then URI says no and then he leaves.

Right, and there's a management term used in this manner of turning down offers, it's called a "s__t sandwich". If the candidate doesn't want to burn bridges but doesn't want to take the offer he counters the offer made by asking for more money, vacation time, travel reimbursement for his wife to attend meetings with him, etc. When the hiring entity gags on the request, the candidate is free to leave with a clean conscience, knowing also that the hiring entity, if desperate enough, could come back and offer more.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
People forget that teams have to lose. We focus on the strength of the teams that win, but the Big East is a wrecking ball of a league for the last few years, and DePaul's been at the bottom of it almost simply because someone has to be. They're not a great team, but they'd have finished in the top half of the AAC this year.

I suspect this is a trolling sock from one of our regular friends. It’s too stupid to be real.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
If UConn was still in the Big East there's not a question whether or not he would accept the offer.

UConn's certainly been there own worst enemy in the AAC, but the leagues aren't comparable from a competition and prestige standpoint.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
In my wildest dreams I couldn't imagine spending as much time as you do on this board in a constant state of anger and frustration. You are constantly in either a sarcastic or hostile state in your interactions with fellow posters. Honestly, I find it bizarre.

I’m sure whatever stupid crap you waste your time on I couldn’t imagine doing either.

At least you figured out the sarcasm. Puts you ahead of many.

Next time I’m waiting in line at CVS I’ll try to do something more productive than pointing out SS is a moran.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom