Some Guy: UConn close to signing Hurley | Page 24 | The Boneyard

Some Guy: UConn close to signing Hurley

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I know nothing (as do most of us), but my understanding is that Hurley is a pretty stand up guy and would not just leave URI without first meeting w/ the AD et al. There's an article out there about him leaving St. Benedict's and how he was shaken and initially was unable to even state that he was leaving due to his belief in loyalty. Generally, where there's smoke, etc. So I'd expect Hurley to properly address his departure with URI and then make wherever he's going, official. Certainly hope it is here.

Reaction Score
from what i hear they were close to a deal yesterday but I was worried that if we didn't get a signature that URI still has their last chance to get him to stay today. Still expect him to be coming here but if we didn't close it last night and he ends up staying at URI then Benedict needs to be on the hot seat
Agreed

Reaction Score
I'm from Pburgh & have friends that are former Pitt fb players from the Matt Cavanaugh/Tony Dorsett era that are annual mid-range donors to Pitt athletics; they tell me Pitt is ponying up a 3-3.5 million a year 5 year offer & a contingent of the donors is willing to go higher if necessary....if accurate, I guess we'll see if money talks.....

Reaction Score
ESPN's Jeff Goodman Talks Pitt Coaching Search
SN– It appears to be a battle between Pitt and UConn for Danny Hurley. Is UConn his likely choice?

Jeff Goodman- “Yes, I think that’s safe to say. I don’t know that 100% but from everyone I’ve talked to close to Hurley the only thing that would stand in the way is money from him not taking the UConn job. If Pitt offers $3 million and UConn only offers $2 million, that’s a significant difference but if UConn can close the gap and get closer to Pittsburgh, I’d be surprised if Danny Hurley isn’t the next coach at UConn.”

Reaction Score
I’m sure whatever stupid crap you waste your time on I couldn’t imagine doing either.

At least you figured out the sarcasm. Puts you ahead of many.

Next time I’m waiting in line at CVS I’ll try to do something more productive than pointing out SS is a moran.

I assume the irony is an attempt at humor.

Be well.......

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I'm from Pburgh & have friends that are former Pitt fb players from the Matt Cavanaugh/Tony Dorsett era that are annual mid-range donors to Pitt athletics; they tell me Pitt is ponying up a 3-3.5 million a year 5 year offer & a contingent of the donors is willing to go higher if necessary....if accurate, I guess we'll see if money talks.....

This is sort of how I envision this playing out.

Another kick to the nuts.

Reaction Score
If this is true, and I sort of doubt it, it's a silly thing for them to do, chase after an east-coast guy when they're essentially a midwest school.

Reaction Score
If this is true, and I sort of doubt it, it's a silly thing for them to do, chase after an east-coast guy when they're essentially a midwest school.

I can see Pitt making a big push for Hurley since they supposedly missed out on their first few options (not sure who they were) and are probably feeling the pressure not to end up with a no name. Going > $3.5mm and 5 years for Hurley seems crazy, but the comment about the east coast vs. midwest thing seems misplaced (unless it was a dig on Pitt, which is cool). They had their only real success in decades by being an east coast-centric school. I can't imagine them recruiting the midwest for the ACC, and they can't compete with the southern ACC schools in that region. The ACC has a known void between Boston and the Carolinas. It would be smart for Pitt to focus on that void.

The Hurley situation reminds me of UConn and the ACC. We were the early favorites, and then we just got beat down. Hopefully we'll come out winners here, but hopefully the AD has a second option ready to go immediately.

Reaction Score

Pitt seems more desperate than we are at this point...that could make them do crazy things - they've done crazy things in sane moments.. It would be nice to get this wrapped up so we can move onto the fun things of getting back to the top. Being from Pittsburgh, Pitt does not consider itself a midwest school, rightfully or wrongfully, in 'burghers eyes, the PA-Ohio border is the line of demarcation..

Reaction Score
We count taking money out of students' pockets as revenue too.

It is revenue.

I was talking about the word "makes." Athletics "makes."

Athletics "takes" is more like it.

In Trenton, they say, "Trenton makes, the world takes." Probably not true there anymore either.

Reaction Score
I can see Pitt making a big push for Hurley since they supposedly missed out on their first few options (not sure who they were) and are probably feeling the pressure not to end up with a no name. Going > $3.5mm and 5 years for Hurley seems crazy, but the comment about the east coast vs. midwest thing seems misplaced (unless it was a dig on Pitt, which is cool). They had their only real success in decades by being an east coast-centric school. I can't imagine them recruiting the midwest for the ACC, and they can't compete with the southern ACC schools in that region. The ACC has a known void between Boston and the Carolinas. It would be smart for Pitt to focus on that void.

The Hurley situation reminds me of UConn and the ACC. We were the early favorites, and then we just got beat down. Hopefully we'll come out winners here, but hopefully the AD has a second option ready to go immediately.
With no real access to NYC with any regularity (BET), and no teams in the NE except Syracuse, Pitt's not really an east coast team anymore. They aren't going to beat out Syracuse, Duke, Villanova (and soon UConn) on those TriState kids, so they're better option is mining southern and midwest areas, and trying to be more national like UConn was in the early 1990s. NE kids are unlikely to consistently go to Pitt, and NJ kids might, but if they're really good they'll go elsewhere, so Hurley's connections aren't as strong at Pitt as they are at UConn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom