Some Guy: UConn close to signing Hurley | Page 20 | The Boneyard

Some Guy: UConn close to signing Hurley

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Here's Rhode Island's revenue:

Rhody ranks 111th in revenues across the country. Like UNH, Rhode Island does not field an FCS football program. URI is the first New England-based program where student fees do not contribute toward athletic department revenue, which has been the case since 2009.

School funding ($20.8 million) makes up most of URI’s revenues. It spent $9.62 million on coaches in 2016 and $8.6 million in scholarships.

In all, URI athletics makes $26.63 million in revenue and spends $26.17 million.

LOL--if the school gives $20.8 million to athletics, how can they say athletics "makes" $26.63? They have a very definition of "makes" than I do.

Reaction Score
$15 million is what they've raised since 2007.

On Thor Bjorn's bio:

Rhode Island’s external revenue efforts have reached unprecedented heights under Bjorn. He rebuilt and reenergized the business development and corporate partnership office. In 2013, he orchestrated the partnership between URI and Nelligan Sports. The following year, after industry leader Learfield Sports acquired NSM in 2014, Bjorn ushered in Rhody Sports Properties - the dedicated corporate sales and athletics sponsorship unit through Learfield Sports.

In total, Bjorn has been directly responsible for securing more than $15 million from external and internal sources for facility enhancements. These projects include over $500,000 for renovations to the men’s and women’s basketball office suites, $300,000 for the men’s basketball locker room, $500,000 for construction of eight new varsity tennis courts, $300,000 for tennis pavilion, $500,000 for new indoor batting barn used by baseball and softball, $1 million for Meade Stadium bleachers and press box renovation, $1.3 million for new baseball playing surface (FieldTurf), $1 million of resurfacing indoor track with state-of-the-art Mondo surface, soccer practice facility, $200,000 to renovate volleyball and women’s soccer locker rooms.

He helped cultivate the first-ever $1 million dollar gift in Rhody athletics history in November, 2007. That gift helped to transform Bill Beck Field - home of the highly successful URI baseball program - into one of the top facilities in the Northeast. Upgrades included a new synthetic surface installed in the infield, a sod and sprinkler system in the outfield, and an indoor training facility that can be used by the baseball and softball teams.
Lol didn’t the Werth Center cost like $40 million. I get that it was all through private donations but these schools are in two different universes when it comes to basketball investment.

Reaction Score
What are you on Windows 98 still?

upload_2018-3-20_16-49-39.png

Reaction Score
I would love to have George back but he is a couple years older than Calhoun - and a better golfer LOL - lives on the Cape and in FL - Coming back? Is he crazy?
George is done with college basketball and work of any kind. He'll be available by phone between rounds.

Reaction Score
LOL--if the school gives $20.8 million to athletics, how can they say athletics "makes" $26.63? They have a very definition of "makes" than I do.
We count taking money out of students' pockets as revenue too.

Reaction Score
Why would a rising star like Hurley take a job with ANY school that would throw one of its own under the bus to free up the cap space to hire him? I'm no Kevin Ollie fan, but there's no denying he was a Husky through and through. It was time, I get it. But pay the guy what you owe him. Don't try to "build a case to fire him for breach." No class program would do that. That's the toxic environment Hurley is walking into. A school that's virtually bankrupt. An AD with training wheels. A university president with thin skin and no vision. And, oh yeah, a conference that is trying to wish itself into "Power" status. If I'm Hurley, I run as far and fast as I can from Storrs.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
I really hope this isn’t gonna drag out as Hurley waits to see if Willard ends up at pitt.

Reaction Score
Hurley would be stupid to not explore all options. Hurley would be stupid to choose Pitt over UCONN.

Let the man do his due diligence and then come home to UCONN.

It’s interesting to me that he’s moving fast, interviewing 2 days after a loss. Either he’s moving fast to get a better offer out of URI and to please the fans, or he’s very very very interested in UConn and/ or Pitt. I can’t take it anymore

Reaction Score
Hurley would be stupid to not explore all options. Hurley would be stupid to choose Pitt over UCONN.

Let the man do his due diligence and then come home to UCONN.
I disagree. This is UConn. If you need to explore all options, then we aren't the option. Especially with this list of schools, his decision should be easy. This should not go on longer than today. I have had this happen to me twice in my career. After negotiating the offer, the firm said you have 24 hours to decide. One time I took it, the other time I didn't, and neither time did I look back with regret. Time isn't always the solution. If UConn is the place for him, he already knows.

Reaction Score
This is the guy who tweeted last night that Hurley to UConn was done and multiple sources have confirmed that. Now that’s been deleted and replaced with...

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
This is the guy who tweeted last night that Hurley to UConn was done and multiple sources have confirmed that. Now that’s been deleted and replaced with...

this is just agony at this point.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
The insiders say it's done. Some of the media says it's close. Some of the media says it's not close... yet. Chief says he's not telling. Someone come get me when there's white smoke.

Reaction Score
I'm sure AD Dave is all over this. Oats and Musselman are on speed dial and AD Dave will be applying maximum pressure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom