Some Guy: UConn close to signing Hurley | Page 53 | The Boneyard

Some Guy: UConn close to signing Hurley

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I hope not. We can’t match 3.5 million. Can we?
For some reason, I assume you are young which probably means you never bought a house. For me, well my wife, we had a budget on what we wanted to spend. We then saw the house of her dreams which was priced at the top of our range. We got in a bidding war which we ended up winning. Problem is we shot through our initial budget. The moral of the story is sometimes you get so engaged in winning that money becomes secondary. We can't lose Hurley over a few 100k. Can we afford it? I have no idea. I just know we can't lose him by getting out bid. Today, 10 years later, we are still in the same house and my wife still loves it. Spend the extra dough DB!

Reaction Score
I don't care if we lose him because Pitt offers $4mm. I do care if we thought he was a sure thing at $2.5
We offered, Pitt offered, we countered, looked good, Pitt countered with big bucks. That's the story I'm getting

So you're saying UConn's counter was $2.5m?

BaZZnBOAT

ONIONS!
Reaction Score
Don't give the guy 3.5 million he's done nothing to warrant that number. I'm not even cool with 3M find another coach of impact who will be happy going from 650K to 2.2M and let him work some magic. Kevin Ollie won a NC and deserved that number at that time, well not the extension. Nonetheless 3.5 too much for Danny Hurley not a good move even though it's not my money.

It’s a valid question whether or not he’s “worth” this money. I think he is, but I understand others who think he isn’t.

Reaction Score
So we can still counter I’d assume?
I don't think we'll be able to match. The story I had was that the base has to be low but boosters were willing to pay for incentives.

Reaction Score
Yup. 4m UCONN can't do. Just the way it is. But if we sat back satisfied we had it, then we are the complete fools we've shown ourselves to be.
To be fair, that's money almost certainly foolishly spent. At 4m, they're paying a "we know our job sucks" tax, and taking a pretty big risk; so would Hurley, and there's no guarantee it would pay off.

Reaction Score
We offered, Pitt offered, we countered, looked good, Pitt countered with big bucks. That's the story I'm getting
Does the story you are getting have any more info that we might be privy to? ;)

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Don't give the guy 3.5 million he's done nothing to warrant that number. I'm not even cool with 3M find another coach of impact who will be happy going from 650K to 2.2M and let him work some magic. Kevin Ollie won a NC and deserved that number at that time, well not the extension. Nonetheless 3.5 too much for Danny Hurley not a good move even though it's not my money.

Yes, getting into a protracted bidding war with other schools over this particular guy is insane. There are plenty of others out there.

Reaction Score
Yes, because that's what fans care about, and why coaches personally take jobs. The university getting cash.

Coaches want to win. They don't do that at Rutgers or BC. Outside of 2 years of Howland or so, and a streak with Dixon, Pitt hasn't either.
So the coaches of Rutgers, BC, or Pitt don't want to win. Didn't being coach of UConn kill KO's career? Maybe he didn't want to win either!

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I don't think we'll be able to match. The story I had was that the base has to be low but boosters were willing to pay for incentives.

Can boosters buy houses and golf club memberships and jets hahahah? Let's throw everything into the pot.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score

Seems spot on given the timing of the reports and the report that he met with his URI team today. He knows he's gone. URI is the third horse here.

Reaction Score
But didn’t everyone anticipate Pitt would do this? If so, why would this sway Danny so much? I’m hoping it didn’t and they’re just trying to milk UConn for a couple more hundred thousand

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Hurley fills the arena, sells more clothing, and is solid at PR. Pay up, the man will earn you great ROI.

It's absolutely true. I've never held bball season tickets, and basically stopped going to games after the game at XL vs Temple a couple of years back where we just played absolutely terrible and lazy basketball. I'd buy season tix to XL in a heartbeat if we made this hire

Reaction Score
So the coaches of Rutgers, BC, or Pitt don't want to win. Didn't being coach of UConn kill KO's career? Maybe he didn't want to win either!
What are you talking about? KO killed his own career by not doing what he needed to do.

Where did I say those coaches don't want to win? JC won 3 titles. How many were at Northeastern? Why? Was he a much worse coach there?

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
I was in my last year of grad school and skipped three whole days of classes and had ESPN news burned into my eyes.

Twitter would have ceased to exist.

Basically my thoughts. Damn servers would’ve melted down.

Reaction Score
Seems spot on given the timing of the reports and the report that he met with his URI team today. He knows he's gone. URI is the third horse here.
No way a coach meets with his team and says he is gone with out it all being locked down. This meeting today, if it did happen he told them nothing . If he did we would all know by now.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I'd like a decision by 930 tonight so I can move on with my life. I can tolerate losing to Pitt for stupid money, just not close money (wow, I guess that is what JMick just said!) If its Pitt, Hurley will have his money and a big challenge in the ACC with no roster.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
But didn’t everyone anticipate Pitt would do this? If so, why would this sway Danny so much? I’m hoping it didn’t and they’re just trying to milk UConn for a couple more hundred thousand

My only guess is it is about more than the money. Unless he and his agent somehow undershot the market.

Reaction Score
The only thing I think is that: URI is out

All I’ve been told by people close to the situation at URI and UConn is he’s go Nag to UConn.
I assume you meant going to UConn. When was the last time you heard this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020

Top Bottom