Some Guy: UConn close to signing Hurley | Page 52 | The Boneyard

Some Guy: UConn close to signing Hurley

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score

I fairly certain you have not donated more than state taxpayers have paid - and the UConn Senate University Budget Committee (SUBC) says as much.
https://senate.uconn.edu/wp-content...Senate-UBC-Report-on-AD-Subsidy-to-Senate.pdf

On the whole the UConn athletic department is now heavily subsidized. If your aren't familiar with public budgeting terminology, in this case "subsidy" means State appropriations to UConn. ANd for the record, this doesn't even account for capital expenditure (like the Gample roof). ;)

- Between 2005 and 2017, expenditures for the AD grew 70% from $47 million to $80 million.
- During this same period, despite numerous high-profile achievements in women’s and men’s basketball, earned revenues increased by less than 10%.
- Fairly stagnant revenues meant that most (83%) of the $33 million increase in the Athletics budget has been subsidized by UConn; an additional $8.3 million comes from mandatory student fees.
- The subsidy has increased by a factor of almost nine from $3.5 million in 2005 to an estimated $31 million in 2017.
- The extent to which the AD budget is subsidized grew from 7.3% in 2005 to 38.6% in 2017.

- Only one of UConn’s sports teams—men’s basketball—receives sufficient direct revenues to cover its costs.
- Despite the outstanding achievements made by the women’s basketball team during the period of analysis, the low revenues for women’s sports compared to men’s, resulted in the team being subsidized.
- UConn’s football team was the team with the largest deficit in absolute dollar terms, requiring a subsidy of $7.5 million for 2014.​

So UCONN men’s basketball pays for itself. Again, S T F U and go away. We couldn’t care less about your rantings or your opinion.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Seriously. What actual new information has actually come out? We knew roughly what we offered, we knew roughly what Pitt would offer, and we were the leaders. Now, suddenly, just because time has passed, we're doomed?

Nothing. This was probably the best possible day for me to be unable to check the boneyard. I missed nothing but you people watching a pot boil...slowly.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
My gut feeling is, like any good businessman, Hurley heard our pitch earlier yesterday. He took the offer to Pitt last night and told them give him something today. They did. He's taking their offer back to us and giving us last right to match. URI is already out of it. That's how I'm reading this.

BaZZnBOAT

ONIONS!
Reaction Score
Frank Martin can't recruit to save his life. It'll only get worse in the AAC. Hurley recruits well to the A-10 and has nowhere to go but up

Am I missing something on PJ Dozier and Thornwell? Let’s be real, South Carolina and KState are not easy places to recruit to regardless of conference.

Reaction Score
My gut feeling is, like any good businessman, Hurley heard our pitch earlier yesterday. He took the offer to Pitt last night and told them give him something today. They did. He's taking their offer back to us and giving us last right to match. URI is already out of it. That's how I'm reading this.
I hope not. We can’t match 3.5 million. Can we?

Reaction Score
I don't buy this narrative. It has been reported multiple places that UConn made their pitch and offer on Monday and have felt good about it the whole way. They aren't idiots; they knew Pitt would come swinging with ACC money. They knew that going in. Maybe we lose him but i don't think we got "blindsided" here
I don't care if we lose him because Pitt offers $4mm. I do care if we thought he was a sure thing at $2.5

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
The only thing sillier than this that I can remember was the 3-4 days it took for the Red Sox to trade for Adrian Gonzalez. Twitter/Red Sox internet land was a mess.

TheMark Texeira sweepstakes was something else too.

This one is up there.

If twitter existed the arod trade stuff in 03-04 would’ve been a blast

Reaction Score
Did Pitt make this offer yesterday before all of the done deal to UConn talk. Or did they up it after the UConn talk?(I know no one can answer this question. Just thinking out loud)

Reaction Score
Don't give the guy 3.5 million he's done nothing to warrant that number. I'm not even cool with 3M find another coach of impact who will be happy going from 650K to 2.2M and let him work some magic. Kevin Ollie won a NC and deserved that number at that time, well not the extension. Nonetheless 3.5 too much for Danny Hurley not a good move even though it's not my money.

Reaction Score
Did Pitt make this offer yesterday before all of the done deal to UConn talk. Or did they up it after the UConn talk?(I know no one can answer this question. Just thinking out loud)
We offered, Pitt offered, we countered, looked good, Pitt countered with big bucks. That's the story I'm getting

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I don't care if we lose him because Pitt offers $4mm. I do care if we thought he was a sure thing at $2.5

Yup. 4m UCONN can't do. Just the way it is. But if we sat back satisfied we had it, then we are the complete fools we've shown ourselves to be.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
god that was LOL

Picturing Chief writing a brief from prison does make me LOL. I imagine it would look something like this...

Attachments

• MLK.jpg
    MLK.jpg
    427.6 KB · Views: 43
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads