Some Guy: UConn close to signing Hurley | Page 54 | The Boneyard

Some Guy: UConn close to signing Hurley

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
But didn’t everyone anticipate Pitt would do this? If so, why would this sway Danny so much? I’m hoping it didn’t and they’re just trying to milk UConn for a couple more hundred thousand
I said pages ago that we won't lose him because of money. that changes if we're over $1mm off from what Pitt is offering. My point is that if we went into this not expecting/not able to pay $3mm/yr if we had to then we're idiots.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
No way a coach meets with his team and says he is gone with out it all being locked down. This meeting today, if it did happen he told them nothing . If he did we would all know by now.

Why not? He's either taking Pitt's job or ours. He's not coming back. I didn't say he told them which job he's taking but it's clear it's between us and Pitt. Why not be up front with his players?

Reaction Score
Pitt should offer more.

- they’re in a better conference
- they’re a much tougher, riskier rebuild
- even if they don’t get Hurley - they have a very angry fan base and need to keep up an appearance that they did everything they could.
- their facilities aren’t as nice and the program doesn’t have the history.

Reaction Score
Giving an extension to Ollie was not our mistake. At that time, everyone felt he deserved it and the fear was losing him. The ironclad buyout was the mistake.

I wouid agree...still the AD's mistake which was similarto Pitt's AD in the opposite direction -lessening Dixon's buyout so he could leave esier to go to TCU....always a crap shoot with these kinds of things....only time tells how things work out

Tucker

Free Beer!..... Yesterday
Reaction Score
We’re like the guy at the poker table taking off his watch, rings and pink slips to try and match the pot. Screw it give him the cows.. name an ice cream flavor after him. Give him the pavilion. This is madness where does it end......lol

BaZZnBOAT

ONIONS!
Reaction Score
I'd like a decision by 930 tonight so I can move on with my life. I can tolerate losing to Pitt for stupid money, just not close money (wow, I guess that is what JMick just said!) If its Pitt, Hurley will have his money and a big challenge in the ACC with no roster.

“Please make your life-altering decision at my earliest convenience.”

Reaction Score
Pitt should offer more.

- they’re in a better conference
- they’re a much tougher, riskier rebuild
- even if they don’t get Hurley - they have a very angry fan base and need to keep up an appearance that they did everything they could.
- their facilities aren’t as nice and the program doesn’t have the history.
Leaking the number only makes sense in one of two scenarios:

1) Pitt did it - showing everyone they tried;
2) Hurley's camp did it - negotiate more effectively with the place he actually wants.

I genuinely can't think of a third.

BaZZnBOAT

ONIONS!
Reaction Score
I wouid agree...still the AD's mistake which was similarto Pitt's AD in the opposite direction -lessening Dixon's buyout so he could leave esier to go to TCU....always a crap shoot with these kinds of things....only time tells how things work out

They wanted him to leave.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
To be fair, that's money almost certainly foolishly spent. At 4m, they're paying a "we know our job sucks" tax, and taking a pretty big risk; so would Hurley, and there's no guarantee it would pay off.

I don't want to lose to Pitt more than anything haha. But I'm not putting up the money.

My biggest fear is who we'll end up with. I don't think it will be Oats or Mussleman or someone like that. It will probably be a 'safe' middling coach.

Reaction Score
I thought 3mil would be a given
me too. If the offers are 3.5 from pitt and we move up to 3 then he'll probably be here. Basically everyone else aside from a few people I talk to thinks UConn is still a done deal so I'm happy to be crucified for relaying info that ends up not meaning anything if that means we get Hurley.

BaZZnBOAT

ONIONS!
Reaction Score
Why not? He's either taking Pitt's job or ours. He's not coming back. I didn't say he told them which job he's taking but it's clear it's between us and Pitt. Why not be up front with his players?

What, did he make them sign an NDA?

Reaction Score
Hurley fills the arena, sells more clothing, and is solid at PR. Pay up, the man will earn you great ROI.
He will in year 1. If he doesn't make the tourney the first year with Jalen (which is very possible) then what...
Frank Martin can't recruit to save his life. It'll only get worse in the AAC. Hurley recruits well to the A-10 and has nowhere to go but up

Basically Keita, Thornwell, Dozier, Silva, Beatty, Judge and Southwell (Bronx) were his top recruits. He parlayed that into an E8 & FF. Take Frank Martin and have him coach this URI team this year and you have a second weekend team that doesn't tank on Senior night and blow a 6 seed.

Not saying Martin is the guy either. But...

Reaction Score
me too. If the offers are 3.5 from pitt and we move up to 3 then he'll probably be here. Basically everyone else aside from a few people I talk to thinks UConn is still a done deal so I'm happy to be crucified for relaying info that ends up not meaning anything if that means we get Hurley.
No appreciate the honesty. If a kick is coming I want to be prepared lol

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
It’s a valid question whether or not he’s “worth” this money. I think he is, but I understand others who think he isn’t.

While I think he was the best “fit” as a candidate, because he is from the region, can recruit here and is likely to stay at UConn if he comes, he’s not head and shoulders above the other candidates like Oats as a straight basketball coach. So if it’s $1m more a year for Hurley...pass.

I don’t get the sense that he’s all about the money. I think he wants to go to the right place and I doubt that’s Pitt. If he goes to Pitt it’s a pure money issue.

Reaction Score
The Pitt board says they’re hearing they have hired a coach. But a couple connected posters over there say it may not be Hurley.

Reaction Score
I don't want to lose to Pitt more than anything haha. But I'm not putting up the money.

My biggest fear is who we'll end up with. I don't think it will be Oats or Mussleman or someone like that. It will probably be a 'safe' middling coach.

Yep not a Becker fan I'd rather take back my other post and hand Hurley 3.5M. I guess I really don't have that answer but let's hope there's no "safe" play here.

Reaction Score
The Pitt board says they’re hearing they have hired a coach. But a couple connected posters over there say it may not be Hurley.
Goodman quoted earlier in an AZ article tonight that Miller would be interested in Pitt.

Reaction Score
No appreciate the honesty. If a kick is coming I want to be prepared lol
Yeah I just don't want people to be shocked if he ends up at Pitt now that they've upped the ante. If we made a fair market offer and lose him because Pitt bet the farm on him then so be it. It won't look good for the athletic department, though.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
Leaking the number only makes sense in one of two scenarios:

1) Pitt did it - showing everyone they tried;
2) Hurley's camp did it - negotiate more effectively with the place he actually wants.

I genuinely can't think of a third.

#2 most likely. Always find a way to float a number you'd like to get, you begin to set the market that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom