Some Guy: UConn close to signing Hurley | Page 55 | The Boneyard

Some Guy: UConn close to signing Hurley

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The Pitt board says they’re hearing they have hired a coach. But a couple connected posters over there say it may not be Hurley.

This may be self serving, but I don’t even think he’s their best choice. I think he’s probably ours but they may be better off with Matta if they can get him, or others who know the region.

Reaction Score

I fairly certain you have not donated more than state taxpayers have paid - and the UConn Senate University Budget Committee (SUBC) says as much.
https://senate.uconn.edu/wp-content...Senate-UBC-Report-on-AD-Subsidy-to-Senate.pdf

On the whole the UConn athletic department is now heavily subsidized. If your aren't familiar with public budgeting terminology, in this case "subsidy" means State appropriations to UConn. ANd for the record, this doesn't even account for capital expenditure (like the Gample roof). ;)

- Between 2005 and 2017, expenditures for the AD grew 70% from $47 million to $80 million.
- During this same period, despite numerous high-profile achievements in women’s and men’s basketball, earned revenues increased by less than 10%.
- Fairly stagnant revenues meant that most (83%) of the $33 million increase in the Athletics budget has been subsidized by UConn; an additional $8.3 million comes from mandatory student fees.
- The subsidy has increased by a factor of almost nine from $3.5 million in 2005 to an estimated $31 million in 2017.
- The extent to which the AD budget is subsidized grew from 7.3% in 2005 to 38.6% in 2017.

- Only one of UConn’s sports teams—men’s basketball—receives sufficient direct revenues to cover its costs.
- Despite the outstanding achievements made by the women’s basketball team during the period of analysis, the low revenues for women’s sports compared to men’s, resulted in the team being subsidized.
- UConn’s football team was the team with the largest deficit in absolute dollar terms, requiring a subsidy of $7.5 million for 2014.​

Idk what ur trying to do here. I feel like you post on here to stir up a little drama. I love ccsu and went to ccsu... But I don’t go onto the boneyard to drop bombs. If you feel the need to gather the students and alumni and march down capital lane demanding more funding for ccsu (or as I like to call it CSU ;) ) then by all means do it! But this is the boneyard for UConn fans. I don’t see UConn fans hopping all over ccsufans.com saying cut the athletic programs and lower them down to d2 or d3 to save the state $.

Reaction Score
What are you talking about? KO killed his own career by not doing what he needed to do.

Where did I say those coaches don't want to win? JC won 3 titles. How many were at Northeastern? Why? Was he a much worse coach there?
Your post: " Coaches want to win. They don't do that at Rutgers or BC". And...by the same logic, if KO killed his own career then the coaches of those other schools killed their own careers, not the schools themselves.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Yeah I just don't want people to be shocked if he ends up at Pitt now that they've upped the ante. If we made a fair market offer and lose him because Pitt bet the farm on him then so be it. It won't look good for the athletic department, though.
Isn't there another Hurley we could get for less? Bob Sr is just 70. Surely there is a cousin or Bob has a younger brother.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Idk what ur trying to do here. I feel like you post on here to stir up a little drama. I love ccsu and went to ccsu... But I don’t go onto the boneyard to drop bombs.

@steveaustinBSR does not approve.

Reaction Score
Your post: " Coaches want to win. They don't do that at Rutgers or BC". And...by the same logic, if KO killed his own career then the coaches of those other schools killed their own careers, not the schools themselves.

Can someone ban this turd already?

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I’m happy to contribute lol. I’m too invested, I’m insane

Wasn't even a comment about your post. By all means, carry on.

I just think the entire thread is getting to the "HURLEY JUST WENT TO THE BATHROOM IN THE EAST SIDE OF HIS HOUSE. UCONN IS EAST OF PITT>>>>>>>HE LOVES UCONN!!!!!" stage.

Reaction Score
Here. Let me help with the grammar: "Coaches want to win. They don't do that [i.e. win] at Rutgers or BC." Not "They don't want that at Rutgers or BC."

Nobody has ever won anything of substance at any of those schools. Seriously. So either there's something about the school that makes that difficult, or they have pretty much for years on end hired bad coaches.

UConn had regional success for a while, and then in the 1990s won a lot. You should know that. The school showed that it can win big. KO even did that himself for a few years. Then he stopped working hard and he stopped winning. That's on him.

Stop being obtuse.

Reaction Score
Anyone else feeling a bit numb? If we get Hurley, great. If he takes $3.x million per for 7 years at Pitt, good luck to him but it could be an albatross for Pitt. Of course, we still have to find someone solid which could be a worry, but I’m kind of done with the Hurley stuff. I hope we get him, but he’s not a sure bet.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
For some reason, I assume you are young which probably means you never bought a house. For me, well my wife, we had a budget on what we wanted to spend. We then saw the house of her dreams which was priced at the top of our range. We got in a bidding war which we ended up winning. Problem is we shot through our initial budget. The moral of the story is sometimes you get so engaged in winning that money becomes secondary. We can't lose Hurley over a few 100k. Can we afford it? I have no idea. I just know we can't lose him by getting out bid. Today, 10 years later, we are still in the same house and my wife still loves it. Spend the extra dough DB!

The old Winners Curse.

Reaction Score
Anyone else feeling a bit numb? If we get Hurley, great. If he takes $3.x million per for 7 years at Pitt, good luck to him but it could be an albatross for Pitt. Of course, we still have to find someone solid which could be a worry, but I’m kind of done with the Hurley stuff. I hope we get him, but he’s not a sure bet.
I’m just terrified of another week of this coaching search stuff. It needs to end tomorrow lol. The boneyard may not make it haha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lilmisangel

Top Bottom