Some Clarification from the Courant | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Some Clarification from the Courant

Reaction Score
If there is even a semblance of a program left sure...

Larrier: gone
Adams: gone
Cobb: gone
Anderson: gone
Big Dave: gone
Akinjo, Matthews, Kisunas: I don't know how any of these guys could justify coming to a program under this type of heat

this would leave you with Vital, Whaley, Carlton, Diarra, Polley, Sid, and Kwintin. Of these I can't see Sid transferring again so he's back because he has to. Kwintin seems like a ride or die. the others are up for debate.

DED
Adams and Larrier were going anyways and there were going to be transfers whether we hired another coach or gave Ollie another season. We suck with all those guys, never understood why people all of a sudden thought we would magically be any good with another season under Ollie.

sammydabiz

I sport NewBalance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
Reaction Score
Secondly, to those frustrated that we were promised a "clean program". I don't think this investigation is in any way cheating related or malicious. I simply think this investigation will punish UConn in one way or another, even by the media perception blow, and is simply the result of incompetence in the athletic department and coaching staff. Rules get "unknowingly" broken when the captain of the men's program has zero prior experience manning a ship of this magnitude. Incompetence can be punished by the NCAA just as well as malicious intent, that's all I'll say about this situation.
***Breaking News***

Direcrtor Comey just explained our recruiting efforts were not grossly negligent, but rather extremely careless

Nothing to see here, no wrong doing.....we're fine folks!

Reaction Score
That's how it went down, I still think signing the dotted line on something that huge your first couple weeks on the job isn't the smartest move in the world. You're right about things looking different then though.

It was a no-brainer from Benedict's perspective. Ollie just won a title and looked good doing so. We had a 5-star recruit in Hamilton and another 5-star (Jalen) committed three months after we won the title.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
That's how it went down, I still think signing the dotted line on something that huge your first couple weeks on the job isn't the smartest move in the world. You're right about things looking different then though.
You can thank the clause Warde put in Ollie's initial contract, removing the buyout KO would owe the school if the AD (Warde) left. At ther time Ollie was still a hot commodity who also could have become a free agent at will.

Benedict needed to be both swift and decisive as soon as he took the job.

Reaction Score
It was a no-brainer from Benedict's perspective. Ollie just won a title and looked good doing so. We had a 5-star recruit in Hamilton and another 5-star (Jalen) committed three months after we won the title.
You got the year wrong.

Reaction Score
We’ll have to agree to disagree on that. If I were DB, I wouldn’t want to sign that contract right off the bat. But his and Ollie’s relationship would’ve started off on a sour night if he tried reneging on the agreed-upon deal.

(Of course, with hindsight being 20/20, that would’ve been a blessing.)

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
You can thank the clause Warde put in Ollie's initial contract, removing the buyout KO would owe the school if the AD (Warde) left. At ther time Ollie was still a hot commodity who also could have become a free agent at will.

Benedict needed to be both swift and decisive as soon as he took the job.

This.

Also, the New Jersey Nets...

Reaction Score
When the NCAA puts in 'reportedly' a 100 hours of interviews, there's something. What it is who knows?

As someone else said, it's not even the sanctions that matter. It's the cloud over the program that's the problem.

Does anyone else have a problem with a "source" who knows of a "100 hours of interviews," and "immunity" being tossed around like poker chips in Vegas, not knowing anything about the subject matter being discussed?

Reaction Score
When the NCAA puts in 'reportedly' a 100 hours of interviews, there's something. What it is who knows?

As someone else said, it's not even the sanctions that matter. It's the cloud over the program that's the problem.

Kind of where I'm at. Sounds like they've been at this for a while.

Reaction Score
The biggest problem with an NCAA issue isn’t the penalty, it’s the uncertainty.

The NCAA penalties are rarely much of a problem - vacating stuff is what hurts. The scholarship reductions and missed recruiting days are an aggravation, but they rarely seem to really slow anyone down.

So hiring a coach after the case is closed...no problem. Hiring one during an investigation...problem.

We’re may really be witness to a historic level of coaching malpractice here. We have a true triple threat on our hands.

I’m impressed.
It may even exceed Diaco's malpractice which is no small feat

Reaction Score
Why would Herbst claim in the media a few months ago that UConn is squeaky clean if this were true? Only if the AD refused to say anything to her. Highly doubtful.

And why would they sweeten AD Daves deal last month. Not adding up.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Does anyone else have a problem with a "source" who knows of a "100 hours of interviews," and "immunity" being tossed around like poker chips in Vegas, not knowing anything about the subject matter being discussed?
In all candor I expected no less.

A bunch of sniveling weasels hiding behind anonimity.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
It’s a state institution. There should be transparency.

If there was more they would end up in these situations less often.

The NCAA requires the University not comment.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The NCAA requires the University not comment.

I know all the nonsense.

Yet we still found out and they still released a statement.

Suzielax jammed in a raise for the head of this tire fire while this was happening.

She is going to be gone too.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Whoa!
We are not helping the NCAA investigate a bigger fish.
We know almost nothing, except an outside source raised the concern.
We may be innocent. It may be a tiny violation.
Herbst may have said "we are clean" because they reported to her that we were clean. want a new coach but I think Ollie deserves the benefit of the doubt on this. I think he was less likely than most to cheat. Other coaches have said as much.

Now, check of a game last night, wasn't it?

Reaction Score
I know all the nonsense.

Yet we still found out and they still released a statement.

Suzielax jammed in a raise for the head of this tire fire while this was happening.

She is going to be gone too.
She is actually staying. She is doing a good job with fund raising and getting the UCONN-business partnership going. The thing that could make her go is if the election results this yr does not look good n UCONN funding gets cut

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
She is actually staying. She is doing a good job with fund raising and getting the UCONN-business partnership going. The thing that could make her go is if the election results this yr does not look good n UCONN funding gets cut

We’ll see.

This is going to go south for her very quickly.

I’m not talking about by choice.

Reaction Score
If she knew about an NCAA investigation into the mens basketball program and still gave Ollie a raise she will be in more trouble than if the state goes R

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

Of course there's doubt. But there's also possibility. There's no doubt the NCAA is investigating. That ain't a good thing.

JakeTheDog

Makin’ bacon pancakes
Reaction Score
Can someone generalize what we think our infractions might be? I can't read all these threads at work(I guess I need to Boneyard harder).

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
I think Ollie deserves the benefit of the doubt on this. I think he was less likely than most to cheat. Other coaches have said as much.

Not on The Boneyard he doesn’t! The moral compass and litmus test which all coaches are gauged! Pure, unadulterated malpractice without even a modicum of evidence yet.

Reaction Score
Can someone generalize what we think our infractions might be? I can't read all these threads at work(I guess I need to Boneyard harder).

We have Lightfoot NOT Bond. If we had Bond and not Lightfoot then a Bond guy could chit chat with one of Joel's RATS and "someone" could get back to ya in 20 mins.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom