Some Clarification from the Courant | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Some Clarification from the Courant

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
It will be hard to make a good hire if guilty and the sanctions are bad enough. we will have to find a nobody with potential

I do know one thing. While the 'NCAA penalizing UCONN' jokes are stupid, I can in all honesty see the NCAA justifying harsher penalties because UCONN didn't 'clean up their house'. If Emmert has his way, it's not an unrealistic idea.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
That has nothing to do with it, strawmaster

“Our history and tradition outweigh recent developments” is not a strawman, I’ve been seeing it here for weeks.

Reaction Score
Not if the recruits say "Yeah, UConn tried some shady stuff to get me to sign."

The implication being that the other schools didn't do anything shady in actually signing them? That for the first time in the history of college athletics, a kid picks a clean, inferior program over a dirty, superior program?

Reaction Score
Ok, I've taken a deep breath.

The courant report is bad.

Like, v bad.

But, the only place I've seen the immunity stuff mentioned is from Wolken. Is that right?

Reaction Score
“Our history and tradition outweigh recent developments” is not a strawman, I’ve been seeing it here for weeks.
But there were no possible sanctions in the equation until this came out

Reaction Score
....you are now entering the "cloak of secrecy"......the NCAA compels folks they've interviewed not to comment under sanction to have to work in their offices for 3 years if they do comment.....so let the speculation explode for.......remember, the NM case took approximately 3 yrs for the National Collegiate Association of Autocrats to resolve......

Reaction Score
This obviously sucks but we're still a school that's won 4 titles and we'll have 10 million dollars off the books for our next hire.

Do you think good coaches will want to come to a school with sanctions? Louisville has a ton more money. They're going to hire Padgett soon.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Pay the damn players already and this whole stupid recruiting cloak-and-dagger routine goes away.

You're not wrong about paying the players, but it's not going to change the cloak and dagger thing. At all. The best guys will just get offered money on top of their stipend/salary. The best will still get funneled where agents/shoe companies/boosters want them. Too much money involved to solve this problem.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
But there were no possible sanctions in the equation until this came out

I don’t think they change people’s calculus all that much. I’m likely wrong though.

Reaction Score
What kind of sanctions do you think we will get?

A one year ban and scholarships. If we're caught giving any benefits or cash inducements to recruits. At a minimum. And if they roll the Nate Miles thing into this, much more than that.

Reaction Score
How did we cheat with recruits if none of them committed to UCONN? That means there was no money/perks exchanged and it's just a matter of he said/she said (recruit/UCONN).

Also, if there were cash payments involved, wouldn't the FBI be involved??

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I don’t think they change people’s calculus all that much. I’m likely wrong though.

It absolutely changes the calculus. Potential sanctions/brand hits/defections etc leaves a scorched earth to deal with.

Reaction Score
A one year ban and scholarships. If we're caught giving any benefits or cash inducements to recruits. At a minimum. And if they roll the Nate Miles thing into this, much more than that.
Does this mean we get new coaching staff or keep current staff. This shocked me when I saw this article around 1 in the morning

intlzncster

Reaction Score
What kind of sanctions do you think we will get?

Again, not a UCONN/NCAA joke, but do you honestly think Emmert and Co are not going to pull out all the stops to do something?

I guarantee this has been on Emmert's plate since Shabazz spit in his eye.

Reaction Score
The implication being that the other schools didn't do anything shady in actually signing them? That for the first time in the history of college athletics, a kid picks a clean, inferior program over a dirty, superior program?
What difference does it make what other schools did? My only concern is UConn and I could care less what penalties other schools receive.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
It absolutely changes the calculus. Potential sanctions/brand hits/defections etc leaves a scorched earth to deal with.

The brand hits caused by terrible performance/transfer exodus/erosion of on-person fan support over the past 4 years didn’t seem to move the needle with people. I don’t know if this is different.

Reaction Score
How did we cheat with recruits if none of them committed to UCONN? That means there was no money/perks exchanged and it's just a matter of he said/she said (recruit/UCONN).

There are stories out there of athletes taking improper benefits from a school & going elsewhere...alluded to in the ESPN 30 on 30 story about SMU football.......

Reaction Score
Again, not a UCONN/NCAA joke, but do you honestly think Emmert and Co are not going to pull out all the stops to do something?

I guarantee this has been on Emmert's plate since Shabazz spit in his eye.
Trust me I know NCAA never cared for us. It just doesn’t make sense why they pulled this now. Why did they wait so long

intlzncster

Reaction Score
The brand hits caused by terrible performance/transfer exodus/erosion of on-person fan support over the past 4 years didn’t seem to move the needle with people. I don’t know if this is different.

It's not remotely the same man. I mean, most confident coaches think they can resurrect a struggling program. But way less people are motivated to join a sanctioned school. You are already taking a risk resuscitating a program, but to then hand cuff yourself with sanctions to start? Not good.

I'm not saying no one will come, but it definitely could scare away some very good candidates.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wesw1963

Top Bottom