Some Clarification from the Courant | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Some Clarification from the Courant

Reaction Score
Source?
Courant is reporting sources indicate NCAA has already conducted over 100 hours of interviews of coaches/players past & present & others outside the the program....if that is accurate, we know the NCAA does not operate at rocket speed.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Why don't you think the $ will be available?

I was probably too unclear with that. I'm guessing that the $10m will be more spread out.

I think they've learned something about contracts in the past couple of years. It'll be in the range of 1.5-2m per year, much closer to 1.5. Heavy on performance bonuses.

Rutgers contract to Pikiell is probably a good model. Here are contract details for Steve Pikiell's extension

The buyout would be tricky, because they don't want to handcuff themselves, but anyone who comes will want significant insurance.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The biggest problem with an NCAA issue isn’t the penalty, it’s the uncertainty.

The NCAA penalties are rarely much of a problem - vacating stuff is what hurts. The scholarship reductions and missed recruiting days are an aggravation, but they rarely seem to really slow anyone down.

So hiring a coach after the case is closed...no problem. Hiring one during an investigation...problem.

We’re may really be witness to a historic level of coaching malpractice here. We have a true triple threat on our hands.

I’m impressed.

Reaction Score
It is probably blasphemy to say it here, but at what point do you look at ADB regarding his handling of the basketball program? He signed KO to the big extension even though it was negotiated with Warde and now we are potentially looking at recruiting violations. He deserves credit for getting rid of Diaco, and for general fan engagement and improvements re football games being more fan friendly but the buck stops with him, and with where the program is now, doesn't he deserve some of the blame?

UC313

Knucklehead
Reaction Score
We must have sold our soul to the devil for those 4 rings. The amount of times we've been punted in the nardino's since is just astounding. I just had to take a slug out of the bottle of my desk whiskey.

Reaction Score
Courant is reporting sources indicate NCAA has already conducted over 100 hours of interviews of coaches/players past & present & others outside the the program....if that is accurate, we know the NCAA does not operate at rocket speed.

Gotcha. I don't think you can take from that report that people at the university were notified but it's not crazy to think whispers would get back to them.

sammydabiz

I sport NewBalance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
Reaction Score
I know Benedict has been trying to do everything to come up with the money and or finance the buyout. My guess is this will be the sufficient cause he was looking for.
Bingo,
This is the only silver lining in this whole fiasco

Reaction Score
It is probably blasphemy to say it here, but at what point do you look at ADB regarding his handling of the basketball program? He signed KO to the big extension even though it was negotiated with Warde and now we are potentially looking at recruiting violations. He deserves credit for getting rid of Diaco, and for general fan engagement and improvements re football games being more fan friendly but the buck stops with him, and with where the program is now, doesn't he deserve some of the blame?
My understanding is that the extension was essentially agreed upon by both sides before Benedict started. He made it official, but he really didn’t have a choice at the time - it would’ve been foolish to start out his career alienating one of the school’s most prominent head coaches. (Plus, the extension didn’t look like an incredible disaster at the time.)

Not positive about the above, but that’s my general impression of what happened.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
Two things.

I have always liked Jacob's tougher than par takes on UConn as a so called "beat writer" for the program, but his article is in my opinion unfair and unprofessional from a journalistic standpoint. He writes an "article" nearly two pages long of nothing more than fearmongering with literally zero details or information, and he keeps repeating over and over again just how clueless he is throughout his paragraphs of rousing the program for the sake of clicks. This is the journalistic equivalent of writing an entire article on someone else's "tweet", somehow making it news. I don't doubt there is something going on, but Jacobs took it way too far in a harmful to the program manner for his own professional and financial gain.

Secondly, to those frustrated that we were promised a "clean program". I don't think this investigation is in any way cheating related or malicious. I simply think this investigation will punish UConn in one way or another, even by the media perception blow, and is simply the result of incompetence in the athletic department and coaching staff. Rules get "unknowingly" broken when the captain of the men's program has zero prior experience manning a ship of this magnitude. Incompetence can be punished by the NCAA just as well as malicious intent, that's all I'll say about this situation.

Last edited:

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I have always liked Jacob's tougher than par takes on UConn as a so called "beat writer" for the program, but his article is in my opinion unfair and unprofessional from a journalistic standpoint. He writes an "article" nearly two pages long of nothing more than fearmongering with literally zero details or information, and he keeps repeating over and over again just how clueless he is throughout his paragraphs of rousing the program for the sake of clicks. This is the journalistic equivalent of writing an entire article on someone else's "tweet", somehow making it news. I don't doubt there is something going on, but Jacobs took it way too far in a harmful to the program manner.

I'm not even being sarcastic when I say that this qualifies as 'journalism' these days, in all walks of life, not just sports.

Reaction Score
I know Benedict has been trying to do everything to come up with the money and or finance the buyout. My guess is this will be the sufficient cause he was looking for.

If there is even a semblance of a program left sure...

Larrier: gone
Adams: gone
Cobb: gone
Anderson: gone
Big Dave: gone
Akinjo, Matthews, Kisunas: I don't know how any of these guys could justify coming to a program under this type of heat

this would leave you with Vital, Whaley, Carlton, Diarra, Polley, Sid, and Kwintin. Of these I can't see Sid transferring again so he's back because he has to. Kwintin seems like a ride or die. the others are up for debate.

DED

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Ahh modern times, where a bare allegation and investigation equates to guilt. No need for evidence or a trial or hearing. Why are people assuming that (a) we did anything at all and (b) that whatever it is, it is something significant? I'll wait and see what is going on here. We don't know anything except that they are investigating and that we hired a top notch law firm in this area, meaning we don't intend to roll over on this. Since it has been known for months, and since our team prospects this year have been poor, if our leadership knew the NCAA had something, I think we would have self imposed sanctions.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Ahh modern times, where a bare allegation and investigation equates to guilt. No need for evidence or a trial or hearing. Why are people assuming that (a) we did anything at all and (b) that whatever it is, it is something significant?

Because they think it will propagate a coaching change sans $10M buyout.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
If there is even a semblance of a program left sure...

Larrier: gone
Adams: gone
Cobb: gone
Anderson: gone
Big Dave: gone
Akinjo, Matthews, Kisunas: I don't know how any of these guys could justify coming to a program under this type of heat

this would leave you with Vital, Whaley, Carlton, Diarra, Polley, Sid, and Kwintin. Of these I can't see Sid transferring again so he's back because he has to. Kwintin seems like a ride or die. the others are up for debate.

DED

And Gilbert as well. Whether he can even play is another story.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Ahh modern times, where a bare allegation and investigation equates to guilt. No need for evidence or a trial or hearing. Why are people assuming that (a) we did anything at all and (b) that whatever it is, it is something significant? I'll wait and see what is going on here. We don't know anything except that they are investigating and that we hired a top notch law firm in this area, meaning we don't intend to roll over on this. Since it has been known for months, and since our team prospects this year have been poor, if our leadership knew the NCAA had something, I think we would have self imposed sanctions.

When the NCAA puts in 'reportedly' a 100 hours of interviews, there's something. What it is who knows?

As someone else said, it's not even the sanctions that matter. It's the cloud over the program that's the problem.

Reaction Score
My understanding is that the extension was essentially agreed upon by both sides before Benedict started. He made it official, but he really didn’t have a choice at the time - it would’ve been foolish to start out his career alienating one of the school’s most prominent head coaches. (Plus, the extension didn’t look like an incredible disaster at the time.)

Not positive about the above, but that’s my general impression of what happened.
That's how it went down, I still think signing the dotted line on something that huge your first couple weeks on the job isn't the smartest move in the world. You're right about things looking different then though.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
That's how it went down, I still think signing the dotted line on something that huge your first couple weeks on the job isn't the smartest move in the world. You're right about things looking different then though.

I'm sure he took the job knowing full well he had no choice. It's not like that sort of thing didn't get discussed in the interview process.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom