SMU | Page 5 | The Boneyard

SMU

Reaction Score
I wanted SMU to win more because when they play well they're fun to watch at both ends. They looked to be in total control for most of the game as if they could turn it on and off at will. Unfortunately the last time they turned it off and on it wouldn't go back into gear.

Reaction Score
SMU wrecked my bracket but anyone who doesn't think they're good is on meth. Good team that lost to another decent squad. End of story.

Reaction Score
They aren't good. They played almost no one outside of the AAC and had average results.

The AAC blows. It does a disservice to these teams. They are probably going crazy about it too. Cincy will lose on Sunday.

SMU wrecked my bracket but anyone who doesn't think they're good is on meth. Good team that lost to another decent squad. End of story.

Reaction Score

I think I will count how many times again today we say this "conference blows" "sucks" "is terrible" "awful" or anything to that point. I'm not sure we can have as many as yesterday but I'm guessing with repeat offenders we have a shot to break the record?

Really?

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Knock out games you need more than 6 players and need a player or two who can get you buckets

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
SMU = the best team money can buy.

Reaction Score
You gotta at least hold serve in the tourney and beat lower seeded teams. SMU's been a dominant team within the AAC the last 3 years and have gone down twice now 1st round as a 6 seed. (yes, I know, bad goaltending call vs UCLA). Still. Despite how they do next year they won't get respect until they can make a tourney run. Or at least win a game. ONE game.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score

I think I will count how many times again today we say this "conference blows" "sucks" "is terrible" "awful" or anything to that point. I'm not sure we can have as many as yesterday but I'm guessing with repeat offenders we have a shot to break the record?

Really?
This is a young conference, and at its start was UConn, Cincy and Louisville, and flotsam, and Louisville is gone. Every other program is a building from near scratch job. Some will be successful, some won't.

The question isn't how bad is the conference now, but where can teams like Memphis, Temple, Tulsa, UCF, USF, Houston and SMU get to, and how quickly. Larry Brown built up SMU, but wasn't long term at his age and with his history. Jankovich will have to keep it going (and learn that depth and coaching in the last minute of close games are important). But there is talent in Houston and Dallas, Memphis has Memphis, Temple has Philly and New Jersey, Wichita State can be successful so there's no reason Tulsa can't, and there's plenty of talent in Florida. If you can coach and recruit at all you should be able to build reasonably strong teams in all of these locations.

Should. Regardless, though, with our pedigree we have to be the flagship. I think we take two steps up next year, and are poised for a big year in 18-19. It'll help every other team in the league if we can do that.

Reaction Score
This is a young conference, and at its start was UConn, Cincy and Louisville, and flotsam, and Louisville is gone. Every other program is a building from near scratch job. Some will be successful, some won't.

The question isn't how bad is the conference now, but where can teams like Memphis, Temple, Tulsa, UCF, USF, Houston and SMU get to, and how quickly. Larry Brown built up SMU, but wasn't long term at his age and with his history. Jankocich will have to keep it going (and learn that depth and coaching in the last minute of close games are important). But there is talent in Houston and Dallas, Memphis has Memphis, Temple has Philly and New Jersey, Wichita State can be successful so there's no reason Tulsa can't, and there's plenty of talent in Florida. If you can coach and recruit at all you should be able to build reasonably strong teams in all of these locations.

Should. Regardless, though, with our pedigree we have to be the flagship. I think we take two steps up next year, and are poised for a big year in 18-19.

Yeah well stated Doc. Here's my take, it's not that good of a conference - basically Conference USA. And yeah we should be dominating if indeed that's the level.

I doubt all the programs will rise and it seems there's a couple key programs going the wrong way by the numbers (minus us) like Memphis and Temple. But they both have a chance and the support for basketball to take positive steps. Not sure on the others although I expect Sampson, if he stays, to keep UH up there. Tulsa, UCF, USF, Tulane - who knows? Yankovich should be able to keep the Mustangs near the top as well as Cronin who will always be there.

It's up to the UConn brand to potentially help the lower tier get better, kind of like what GTown, Cuse did for JC and our own Huskies in the late 80's. SMU and Cincy are not UConn as far as recognition as we know so now it's time to step up. Agree with most everyone, next year is a key year to make some positive steps moving in that direction, we will see!

Reaction Score
Maybe, but bigger issue is AAC wants to be a football conference, even though it's equally a joke and awful at that too.

The whole AAC had a total of 3 4* football recruits. Alabama, UGA, Mich, LSU, OU each had more than 15.

The AAC is a wasteland. Did you see the crowds in Hartford last week, even for the UConn games?

It may be a young conference but what does that have to do with programs that have been around for decades like Houston, Temple, Tulsa, UConn, Cincy, etc.

Also, anyone see where Houston lost to Akron in the 1st round of the NIT.

Are people still thinking that was a quality win last Friday?

I do agree UConn can be very good in 2018-19 if everyone stays (JA, TL) and they get good play at the 4-5 with the combination of players they have.

The question isn't how bad is the conference now, but where can teams like Memphis, Temple, Tulsa, UCF, USF, Houston and SMU get to, and how quickly. Larry Brown built up SMU, but wasn't long term at his age and with his history. Jankovich will have to keep it going (and learn that depth and coaching in the last minute of close games are important). But there is talent in Houston and Dallas, Memphis has Memphis, Temple has Philly and New Jersey, Wichita State can be successful so there's no reason Tulsa can't, and there's plenty of talent in Florida. If you can coach and recruit at all you should be able to build reasonably strong teams in all of these locations.

Should. Regardless, though, with our pedigree we have to be the flagship. I think we take two steps up next year, and are poised for a big year in 18-19. It'll help every other team in the league if we can do that.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

Really?

Why torture yourself man? What's the benefit? Go play an ice cold round of golf or something instead.

Reaction Score
Why torture yourself man? What's the benefit? Go play an ice cold round of golf or something instead.

I was kidding but golf's not in the picture until at least next week and that sucks when the Huskies aren't dancing. May need to head further south.

Anyway, I can't count that high!

Reaction Score

Really?

"Yeah well stated Doc. Here's my take, it's not that good of a conference - basically Conference USA. And yeah we should be dominating if indeed that's the level."

I'm confused

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
After raising program's expectations, SMU must learn from March misses to make run at Sweet Sixteen next year | SportsDay

TULSA, Okla. -- Tim Jankovich stood near the entrance of SMU’s locker room at the BOK Center on Friday afternoon, hoping what happened to the Mustangs didn’t take away from the rest of their season.

Prior to No. 6 SMU’s 66-65 loss to No. 11 Southern California in the first round of the NCAA tournament, the American Athletic Conference champions were on a 16-game winning streak and set the school record for most victories in a season.

“We’re a bucket away from even extending this story,” Jankovich said Friday.

For years, SMU’s story didn’t include playing in mid-March. The objective now shifts from making it to the NCAA tournament to lasting multiple rounds

And experiencing the pressures in March might help the returning Mustangs get over that hump next season.

The Mustangs have proven they can consistently reach the postseason. Now SMU has to show it can do more than that the next time it’s playing in the middle of March.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom