SMU | Page 3 | The Boneyard

SMU

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
What a choke
Stepping out of bounds missing free throws coming up the court as if you have 30 seconds to make a play
An absolute hideous choke job in the final minute

He was channeling his inner Rodney Purvis. That was all I could think of when the dude stepped OOB.

I'm not surprised. SMU historically blows in the NCAAs.

Reaction Score
Sterling Brown going out terribly. Missing front ends and stepping in the baseline at the end of the game. Inexcusable.

UConnNick

Reaction Score
Congrats to the Trojans. They're a very resilient and tough minded team, and they've got talent. Beating SMU twice in the same season is no fluke.

Reaction Score
Another dagger for the AAC! Get out any way you can...forget football, I don't want to sacrifice basketball for that failed experiment.

UConnNick

Reaction Score
Yeah, they took three of 'em to their grave. It was also a virtual home game for them.

UConnNick

Reaction Score
The moral of this story is you've gotta have more than six players in this tournament because more fouls are gonna get called. SMU got themselves in foul trouble and couldn't aggressively defend down the stretch.

Just ask Jamie Dixon how that works for you when you're Pitt and you go in having played an entire season of old Big East thugball. It's tough to flip a switch and suddenly quit playing thugball.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
After watching that game it occurred to me as a UConn fan how strongly my familiarity of teams is skewed to the AAC, to the point where the last two years I have had SMU going to a FF/E8, respectively. Why? Because they were the best team I watched those years. Why? Because we are stuck in this conference.

I think living inside the AAC bubble has lowered all of our standards as to what high level D1 basketball looks like. The worst thing we can do is "fit in" with our conference peers, because it's becoming obvious the level that we all are playing at is a tier below the real "contenders". Seeing what USC did (in albeit a close game) to the "best" team in this conference only highlights how far our team is from where our fan base thinks we are and/or need to be.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
SMU doesn't have a point guard and someone actually made them pay for it.

Southern Cal beat them easily earlier this year, so today was not a fluke.

Reaction Score
Had them to final 8 and toyed with final 4, their star needed the ball for last shot. As far as relationship to AAC, I don't make muchof it because anything can happen and does in this tourney. This is why we shouldn't bum rush Ollie out of his job. Not easy in pressure situations and KO is not the worst at that when he has players.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Had them to final 8 and toyed with final 4, their star needed the ball for last shot. As far as relationship to AAC, I don't make muchof it because anything can happen and does in this tourney. This is why we shouldn't bum rush Ollie out of his job. Not easy in pressure situations and KO is not the worst at that when he has players.
Ollie gets one more year and we should all be fully supportive of that. However, if we don't get to the tournament and win 23+games, it will be time for him to go. I don't want to see a JT3 situation here. Our conference blows come tournament time. Cincy is known for first weekend exists, SMU is known for first game exists, Memphis is know lately for first weekend exits, and Temple is as well. Nobody else has much of a basketball pedigree. Not good.

UConn_Top_Dog

"Your school wins games... WE WIN CHAMPIONSHIPS!"
Reaction Score
THANKS A LOT SMU! WAY TO REPRESENT THE AMERICAN! I AM SO DONE WITH THIS DAMN CONFERENCE...

Reaction Score
SMU doesn't have a point guard and someone actually made them pay for it.

Southern Cal beat them easily earlier this year, so today was not a fluke.

Not a fluke, just unreasonable match-up selection by the committee to put them up against one of 4 teams that beat them this year in the first round, for a team that is ranked 11th in the country in the AP poll. It's bad enough they were given a 6 seed, but that match-up choice was brutal. Especially considering how they were screwed by that goaltending call a couple years ago in the first round. They deserved better treatment than this.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Ollie gets one more year and we should all be fully supportive of that. However, if we don't get to the tournament and win 23+games, it will be time for him to go. I don't want to see a JT3 situation here. Our conference blows come tournament time. Cincy is known for first weekend exists, SMU is known for first game exists, Memphis is know lately for first weekend exits, and Temple is as well. Nobody else has much of a basketball pedigree. Not good.

Who will be the first to chime in with either, a) we should offer URI a spot in AAC; or b) we should replace KO with Danny Hurley?

Reaction Score
Not a fluke, just unreasonable match-up selection by the committee to put them up against one of 4 teams that beat them this year in the first round, for a team that is ranked 11th in the country in the AP poll. It's bad enough they were given a 6 seed, but that match-up choice was brutal. Especially considering how they were screwed by that goaltending call a couple years ago in the first round. They deserved better treatment than this.

I did find the matchup strange. SMU lost only 4 times this year, and one of those losses was to USC.
So who does the committee have them play in the First Round...USC.

Hmmm

UConnNick

Reaction Score
I did find the matchup strange. SMU lost only 4 times this year, and one of those losses was to USC.
So who does the committee have them play in the First Round...USC.

Hmmm

USC had to win a play in game or the matchup never happens. Are we now arguing the committee was out to get SMU?

UConnNick

Reaction Score
It's hilarious looking at the arena in Tulsa for the second game. The SMU fan section is totally vacant. They've already hit I-44 W toward OKC and the Big D.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
So by my math, SMU got UConn something like $154K for showing up. They blew an additional $154K by not winning.

If Mick gets to the FF, it should be worth about $770 to us. Is that enough reason to bite the bullet and root for the filthy leprechaun?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom