SMU | The Boneyard

SMU

Reaction Score
I don't mean to be an AAC homer, as if there is such a thing. I really am bullish on SMU. Does anyone else think they can win the East and potentially win it all. I think they are a match up nightmare and have only lost 4 games all season. 3 in the beginning before they were playing "positionless" and then one loss Jan 2 at Cinci. I dont see Baylor, Duke or Villanova beating them. Kansas to me is the one team that when they fire on all cylinders can beat anyone. That said, Kansas has internal issues with Josh Jackson. I know I am a homer and crazy but at 40-1. I really want to thrown down 5k and not tell the wife.

Reaction Score
I mean they're in the most difficult region so if they get to the final four they have as good a shot as anyone. I have them losing to Duke.

Reaction Score
I think you should pump the brakes on them winning it all, I think they're very good and very underrated or unknown. Duke is definitely a tough hurdle to get by unfortunately, but I think their ceiling is very high. I think its safe to assume most UConn and AAC fans will be rooting for them to get thru the weekend and take down Duke.

I have them losing in the final 4 in one bracket, losing to Duke in the other

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
SMU is the kind of team that scares me - if they can push a team around, they look great. If they can't, they're in trouble.

No one in the AAC put any pressure on their guards - the team that can do that will knock them out of the tournament.

I think they win today, but it is interesting that USC beat them pretty easily during the preseason.

Reaction Score
AAC was weak as hell this year. I feel like we don't really know what they are. They stunk OOC but I'm sure they've improved...but so has everyone else, including the team they play today and lost to a few months ago.

Reaction Score
6 guys really gives me pause. Generally in tournament play foul trouble is more prevalent than in regular season. Its troublesome if/when they get to Dook, just don't see anyway they can get past the blatantly favorable whistle Dook gets.

Yankees32123

'99, '04, '11, '14, '23
Reaction Score
Their Achilles heels will be their depth, or lack thereof. Get into serious foul trouble at any point, and they'll be toast.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I have them losing to Kansas in the National Championship game
They are the hottest team in the country, they haven't lost since late December/early January
Yeah having only 6 scare me but those 6 are SOLID

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
I have them losing to Kansas in the National Championship game
They are the hottest team in the country, they haven't lost since late December/early January
Yeah having only 6 scare me but those 6 are SOLID

One of my brackets has the exact same outcome. We're both either geniuses or idiots.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
When they play a game with some weakazz PAC12 ref squad they'll be effed.

Reaction Score
I have thought for a few weeks now that SMU is a bad match-up for Duke. Unfortunately, it will be tough to get that far - Baylor waits in round two if they can get by USC.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I have thought for a few weeks now that SMU is a bad match-up for Duke. Unfortunately, it will be tough to get that far - Baylor waits in round two if they can get by USC.

Baylor is overrated. I think SMU can handle them. Duke...have to catch them on one of their bad days. SMU doesn't have the talent to beat Duke if Duke is playing well.

Reaction Score
In one bracket I have USC beating them. In another, I have Duke taking them out.

Reaction Score

What specifically do you see as being a bad matchup for Duke? Their great defense? My impression is that Duke is too good offensively. Tatum can score regardless of how covered he is. It will come down to how many 3's Duke makes, if SMU limits those then they can win.

Reaction Score
There's no way they survive a game with Dook. Dook will foul them out in 25 minutes

Reaction Score
They purposely put SMU in a situation where they could play Duke, due to the Ojeleye history. The committee picks so many match-ups/potential mathcups based on little sub-plots and rivalries, etc. And they go overboard in my opinion. (The Providence/USC rematch for example).

Reaction Score
If Baylor loses to SMU (SMU beats USC first), that would obviously be HUGE for SMU

Reaction Score
They purposely put SMU in a situation where they could play Duke, due to the Ojeleye history. The committee picks so many match-ups/potential mathcups based on little sub-plots and rivalries, etc. And they go overboard in my opinion. (The Providence/USC rematch for example).
They appear to be definitely doing that with the women's brackets.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
When they play a game with some weakazz PAC12 ref squad they'll be effed.

There's no way they survive a game with Dook. Dook will foul them out in 25 minutes

Agree with the 2 quotes above. And as @Fishy said, they'll face a team that can match up with them physically and the officials will end up controlling the game. They will get a crap officiating crew that calls everything close and it will expose their lack of depth and screw them over.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
If you need more ammo against SMU, I picked them in a knockout pool today.

That might be enough to do them in.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
What specifically do you see as being a bad matchup for Duke? Their great defense? My impression is that Duke is too good offensively. Tatum can score regardless of how covered he is. It will come down to how many 3's Duke makes, if SMU limits those then they can win.

Yup.

Duke would blitz them - way, way too much offense.

Reaction Score

They're just a lot bulkier than Duke. That's the first thing that sticks out. Second, they can pretty much switch 1-5. Duke will still score their points, but long, athletic type teams have been the sort that have given Duke problems over the years.

I think they can get whatever they want on the other end. Duke is not very good defensively and SMU runs some of the best stuff in the country.

Duke is certainly way more talented but SMU is more experienced and more cohesive. That counts for something.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom