SMU | Page 4 | The Boneyard

SMU

Reaction Score
I don't mean to be an AAC homer, as if there is such a thing. I really am bullish on SMU. Does anyone else think they can win the East and potentially win it all. I think they are a match up nightmare and have only lost 4 games all season. 3 in the beginning before they were playing "positionless" and then one loss Jan 2 at Cinci. I dont see Baylor, Duke or Villanova beating them. Kansas to me is the one team that when they fire on all cylinders can beat anyone. That said, Kansas has internal issues with Josh Jackson. I know I am a homer and crazy but at 40-1. I really want to thrown down 5k and not tell the wife.
Lol. Nice call!!! Our conference sucks, SMU proved that with an 11 seed taking out the best the AAC can offer.

Reaction Score
Serious question, how many tourney wins does the AAC have (minus Uconn)?

Reaction Score
After watching that game it occurred to me as a UConn fan how strongly my familiarity of teams is skewed to the AAC, to the point where the last two years I have had SMU going to a FF/E8, respectively. Why? Because they were the best team I watched those years. Why? Because we are stuck in this conference.

I think living inside the AAC bubble has lowered all of our standards as to what high level D1 basketball looks like. The worst thing we can do is "fit in" with our conference peers, because it's becoming obvious the level that we all are playing at is a tier below the real "contenders". Seeing what USC did (in albeit a close game) to the "best" team in this conference only highlights how far our team is from where our fan base thinks we are and/or need to be.

I've been watching this tournament thinking to myself "wow, all of these teams aren't just better than us - they're a lot freaking better than us."

Reaction Score
At least it will quiet down their cocky fan base. A team who has not won a NCAA tournament game in forever.... We have 4 rings since they won 1 game and they talk smack...

Our team last year got out of the first round !
It sucks because the loss hurts us financially and it's not good for optics, but I hate SMU fans. They are by far my least favorite fanbase in this conference next to UCF football fans

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
As @ConnHuskBask noted, SMU's choke cost UConn some money.

Now we have to root for Cronin to make it into next weekend for our own good. That's a horrible feeling.

Can not root for that horrible excuse for a human being.
I hate the tourney enough as it is. Can't watch it, because I find myself rooting for the underdog -- cheering on teams I've picked to lose in my brackets.
But never in a dozen lifetimes could I root for cronin.

Reaction Score
I heard on Twitter that the AAC is 10-10 all time since its inception. UConn is responsible for a 7-1 record.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score

Record, with appearances in parens.

UConn 7-1 (2)
Louisville 2-1 (1 LOL)
Memphis 1-1 (1)
Cincy 1-3* (4)
Temple 0-1 (1)
Tulsa 0-1 (1)
SMU 0-2 (2)

*still playing in 2017

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
I've been watching this tournament thinking to myself "wow, all of these teams aren't just better than us - they're a lot freaking better than us."
I've been thinking that for about 3 years now honestly when going from UConn games to watching the nationally televised non-UConn games pretty consistently, as much as it pains me to say.

Reaction Score
USC had to win a play in game or the matchup never happens. Are we now arguing the committee was out to get SMU?

You think the committee doesn't look beyond the first round games? And yes, they were "out to get" SMU, because they are a small school from a non power conference without many fans. Otherwise, they would have gotten a 3 seed with a game against New Mexico State and an easy trip to second round, like all the other AP #11 teams get every year.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score

Well we did win a game last year, so it can't be all of these teams.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
You think the committee doesn't look beyond the first round games? And yes, they were "out to get" SMU, because they are a small school from a non power conference without many fans. Otherwise, they would have gotten a 3 seed with a game against New Mexico State and an easy trip to second round, like all the other AP #11 teams get every year.

Can't forget that last year we had four schools in the tourney, and three of them were in the same regional. When has that ever happened to another conference?

Reaction Score
Record, with appearances in parens.

UConn 7-1 (2)
Louisville 2-1 (1 LOL)
Memphis 1-1 (1)
Cincy 1-3* (4)
Temple 0-1 (1)
Tulsa 0-1 (1)
SMU 0-2 (2)

*still playing in 2017

Aren't we 7-2 or am I missing something?

Reaction Score
tumblr_mnd5zspGVt1qk2ix2o1_500.gif

I want to like this, but as a Knicks fan in the mid-90's, I just can't.

Reaction Score
It took all of one half of one tourney game for SMU's lack of depth to kill them. A couple of guys get four fouls and they lost all rhythm.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Aren't we 7-2 or am I missing something?

This is 4th year we're in AAC, right? We won it all in 14 (6-0), missed in 15 (NIT, lost 1st round), went 1-1 in 16, missed in 17.

Athlete94

UCONNGRD
Reaction Score
I don't mean to be an AAC homer, as if there is such a thing. I really am bullish on SMU. Does anyone else think they can win the East and potentially win it all. I think they are a match up nightmare and have only lost 4 games all season. 3 in the beginning before they were playing "positionless" and then one loss Jan 2 at Cinci. I dont see Baylor, Duke or Villanova beating them. Kansas to me is the one team that when they fire on all cylinders can beat anyone. That said, Kansas has internal issues with Josh Jackson. I know I am a homer and crazy but at 40-1. I really want to thrown down 5k and not tell the wife.
Sure hope you didn't throw down 5k

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score

It's already been discussed at length in at least two other threads. SMU has nobody to blame but SMU for their seed. They played an OOC schedule which consisted of the Little Sisters of the Poor NSEW, and along the way they lost to one of those (Boise State). Their two best OOC opponents were losses.

AAC teams play in a crap conference. That's a given. You play a largely cupcake OOC schedule like the Ponies did and you're not gonna get cut any slack on selection Sunday, because you won't be rewarded by mowing down a bunch of AAC nobodies. Maybe SMU deserved a five seed, but a three would have been preposterous. As they showed today, they would have gone home after one or two games either way. Lucky for them it wasn't a long trip to Tulsa.

You're correct that the AAC gets no respect from the committee, but after looking at the results from the past few tournaments, can you honestly say it deserves any?

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Now that you are healthy again, I can retort properly, without feeling like a heel.

You are both idiots.

I'm healthy wealthy and wise
up yours

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wilson