Small forward Terry Larrier (6-7) from the Bronx is expected on campus next Tuesday. | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Small forward Terry Larrier (6-7) from the Bronx is expected on campus next Tuesday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

pj

Reaction Score
JC played the great recruits right away. Nobody was "nailed" to the bench; they may not have started but they all played substantial minutes, even if they weren't as good as another more skilled player who had less upside. JC knew as much as anyone that his future depended on turning the great talents into NBA stars. He used minutes as both a carrot and a stick, but mostly a carrot for the great players, they got 20-25 minutes coming in and with a bit of improvement would get up to 30 and a starting position.

I bet Ollie does it similarly. JC's way worked. The only thing that changes is the tone of voice the news is delivered in.

Reaction Score
It took a special type of kid to play for Calhoun. They knew going in that they would have to do things Coach's way(not always popular) but if they did, success would follow. Coach was able to do this because he had a proven track record and could draw on past players experiences. Either a recruit could embrace it(Kemba) or fight it(Oriakhi) and the results says all we need to know.

Reaction Score
Terry Larrier is just this kind of kid. The Boneyard should be psyched about this kid's visit to campus. There was a lot more heat in talk of Brandon Austin last year, and this kid is 3x the player that Austin is.

Reaction Score
JC played the great recruits right away. Nobody was "nailed" to the bench; they may not have started but they all played substantial minutes, even if they weren't as good as another more skilled player who had less upside. JC knew as much as anyone that his future depended on turning the great talents into NBA stars. He used minutes as both a carrot and a stick, but mostly a carrot for the great players, they got 20-25 minutes coming in and with a bit of improvement would get up to 30 and a starting position.

I bet Ollie does it similarly. JC's way worked. The only thing that changes is the tone of voice the news is delivered in.

Maybe, but I can't see it. There are two ways to develop a player.

1. You develop him on the court.

or

2. You develop him on the bench and in practice.

Both can work perfectly fine. I see KO as encouraging guys to get it right after they make in-game mistakes. I see JC as punishing mistakes so that kids think harder about effort and decision making when they get back on the court. I love Jim Calhoun, but KO does not operate just like him. I can also assure you that while JC would have had a really hard time coaching NBA players, KO probably wouldn't. Stylistically, they are polar opposites. They still want hard work and discipline but their approach to getting it is very different.

I give KO major credit for developing Deandre Daniels. I'm not sure JC would have gotten the same performance out of him last year that KO did. I think Deandre responded to KO's approach better.

Reaction Score
Yes, this lineup could challenge for a FF and NC if the chemistry happens quickly and the production is there from the 4-5.

I'm leaning toward Larrier over Robinson. I like his build and athleticism better for the 3. I'll say we land AMA, Snider, and Larrier for now. I'll leave Chukwu off for now, but I think he is the 2nd most important recruit next to AMA. And I think we are in a much better position with Chukwu if AMA comes to UConn. With Joseph going to Cuse and AMA in Storrs, he may just follow AMA.

PG: Snider, Purvis, Samuel
SG: Calhoun, Purvis, DHAM
SF: DHAM, Larrier, Tolksdorf
PF: AMA, Facey, Larrier
C: Nolan, Brimah, Facey

I think we'd be OK with this lineup ;)

Reaction Score
I assume that if a college offers, a prospect could accept immediately, if not early, as Hamilton did.

Therefore, I assume that when they do not it is because the college they prefer could be involved with a kid that could keep a great, but lesser, prospect on the bench. I don't think a Hamilton type would be worried about that happening to him. I don't think a Samuels type cared if he had to wait if he could have UConn coaching and a jersey with UC on it. Between those types, I think this happens.

There probably are a lot of kids who make it seem that they are cool on UConn who might get warmer where they to find out that the kid the college was after who they feared would sit them has chosen somewhere else. That is where the out of nowhere kid comes from. I bet KO is in contact with a few. It has to be secret because UConn wants an Abu to know he is the focus and the alternate has an ego, even if he agrees he could lose a spot to the priority recruit. If we lose primary targets, it will be interesting to see who emerges from the wood work. Who do we think we can't get who may be waiting to see where others go?

If you agree with my premise, Abu is an expensive recruit to lose because others are committing who might have considered to UConn if they knew Abu was not coming. This is especially so because Abu and his family seem skilled playing the recruiting game. He not only freezes others from committing, but he is in no rush and keeps his cards face down. Larrier and White need to know that Boat and DD will probably be gone and Neils definitely will be gone. It is not impossible that Calhoun goes, too. Next season, Facey, tragically, may be newly eligible for limited years, but I am hopeful about Tolksdorf. Brimah and Nolan are 5s. Come on 4s this is a great opportunity.

Jaybo

I hate you
Reaction Score
Anyone know if his visit went on as planned? Or if he pulled a Abu on us.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
JC was a hard guy to play for. I think Ollie will be a little more nurturing of freshmen and show more patience.

I expect we won't see many top recruits "nailed" to the bench with KO in charge. JC took a much different approach than we'll ever see from KO.

While I generally agree with your statement, I wouldn't say anyone was 'nailed' to the bench with JC in charge either. DeAndre had his shots early in the year as a freshman and didn't produce enough to EARN his minutes.

I remember fans, students especially, screaming for Calhoun to pull Thabeet off the floor his freshman year. Calhoun kept him in there. That worked out pretty well.

Reaction Score
Anyone one know if visit went on as planned? Or if he pulled a Abu on us.

What do you mean? Larrier showed up several days ago to everyone's surprise?

Reaction Score
I hate to knock Dham but where is he a top ten recruit? His brother Jordan was top five in the country and came off the bench.

If Purvis can play point problem solved. If not one has to be sixth man and will get PLENTY of minutes. Maybe Omar would be the one mature enough to accept that. But some of you are are throwing Purvis/Omar on the bench way too easily, and I love DHam.
Purvis is going to have to overcome whatever his problem was that got him thrown to the bench at NC State. We know what we have with Omar (assuming he is healthy) and Hamilton is going to have to prove himself. As of today, I like Omar the best of the 3.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Purvis is going to have to overcome whatever his problem was that got him thrown to the bench at NC State. We know what we have with Omar (assuming he is healthy) and Hamilton is going to have to prove himself. As of today, I like Omar the best of the 3.

I disagree. Purvis no longer has to overcome Gottfried's inability to coach.

caw

Reaction Score
I disagree. Purvis no longer has to overcome Gottfried's inability to coach.

Gottfried is a poor coach. There is no question about that. However, Rodney did have some issues. First he had serious foul shooting issues for a SG/PG. Secondly, he was an absolute horrid fit for the system they employ. He should fit better in how Ollie runs things, but needs serious work on his FT shooting.

Reaction Score
Samuel should now him from playing the nyc circuit? Correct

Reaction Score
I like the idea of three nyc kids playing major minutes for us , four including Facey.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
[quote="Goat, post: 673090, member: 3826"

If you agree with my premise, Abu is an expensive recruit to lose because others are committing who might have considered to UConn if they knew Abu was not coming. This is especially so because Abu and his family seem skilled playing the recruiting game. He not only freezes others from committing, but he is in no rush and keeps his cards face down. Larrier and White need to know that Boat and DD will probably be gone and Neils definitely will be gone. It is not impossible that Calhoun goes, too. Next season, Facey, tragically, may be newly eligible for limited years, but I am hopeful about Tolksdorf. Brimah and Nolan are 5s. Come on 4s this is a great opportunity.[/quote]
KO has essentially gone all in for Abu! People in the know had to be aware of KO's presence watching Abu. However, his expense diminishes because he set a deadline for an announcement. Recruits interested in UConn but fearing they could have a reduction in playing time will wait. Without the announcement of 9/7 I would agree with your premise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom