Small forward Terry Larrier (6-7) from the Bronx is expected on campus next Tuesday. | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Small forward Terry Larrier (6-7) from the Bronx is expected on campus next Tuesday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chief00

I believe Larrier will be a Husky. One source compared Purvis to Dyson in terms of athletic ability. Have to see more on his decision making ability quite frankly.

Reaction Score
Hopefully Purvis develops into a point. But I have a hard time believing we are going to bench Omar Calhoun for Hamilton.

It will be Purvis or Hamilton coming off the bench it shouldnt be a big deal because both will play at least 25 min a game with Purvis getting some time at point. I think Purvis is going to have the leg up with a year or practice under his belt. Purvis averaged 8 a game shot good percentages in an offense that never put him in a ball screen and had him sitting on the wing. Were all just guessing at this point but I think its safe to say Omar Calhoun wont be coming off the bench and if he is then he had a very disappointing sophomore season.

Reaction Score
I believe Larrier will be a Husky. One source compared Purvis to Dyson in terms of athletic ability. Have to see more on his decision making ability quite frankly.
Purvis is definitely a better athlete than Dyson, he's close to John Wall and D. Wade.

Reaction Score
Purvis is definitely a better athlete than Dyson, he's close to John Wall and D. Wade.

Wade might be in another category than the other 3. But, this video shows some things about Dyson:

Reaction Score
Just check out any of Rodney's high school youtube vids or his summer league vid, he is as athletic as anyone.

Reaction Score
You are assuming he is going to come in and either start over a 5 star guard that is 2 years older than him or a Junior that also averaged double figures as a freshman. Unless Purvis plays the 1 there is very little chance of Daniel Hamilton starting from day 1.
Daniel Hamilton is the best scorer in the class of 2014. Barring injury, he will start. He is simply too good to not start.

Reaction Score
The 2014-2015 season is way too far away to be arguing about what our starting lineup will be. A whole lot could happen in 1 year.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
The 2014-2015 season is way too far away to be arguing about what our starting lineup will be. A whole lot could happen in 1 year.
For most UConn fans yes. But this group no. Fun exercise as long as people don't get too enamored with their positions. What I love the most is dreaming about all the possibilities.

Reaction Score
My point is that no matter who else is on the roster, Daniel Hamilton will start. That is not a slight to Omar or Purvis. Hamilton would start at any school in the country, he is simply that good.

BTW, I love Purvis and I am thrilled that we landed him the second time around.

C

Chief00

As far as the point guard position, I am always skeptical that a guy at college age can transform into a PG. A PG ha a mindset that's difficult to teach if the guy doesn't have the mental approach.

Reaction Score
As far as the point guard position, I am always skeptical that a guy at college age can transform into a PG. A PG ha a mindset that's difficult to teach if the guy doesn't have the mental approach.

Virtually every trend at the highest levels of basketball has put this outdated idea to bed. (And to anticipate your response, no, I'm not downplaying the mental aspect of playing point guard, I'm just saying that in the modern game the idea of a pure point is outdated and guys are routinely converted from shooting guard and wing to something resembling a modern point guard, and not at the college level, but after playing another position at the college level and becoming a point guard in the NBA.)

Reaction Score
Virtually every trend at the highest levels of basketball has put this outdated idea to bed. (And to anticipate your response, no, I'm not downplaying the mental aspect of playing point guard, I'm just saying that in the modern game the idea of a pure point is outdated and guys are routinely converted from shooting guard and wing to something resembling a modern point guard, and not at the college level, but after playing another position at the college level and becoming a point guard in the NBA.)

NBA trends do not equal NCAA trends. The last title-winning point guard who wasn't drafted was Taliek - guards, specifically point guards who can manage the game, are still a must if you want a banner.

2013: Siva
2012: Teague
2011: Kemba
2010: Smith
2009: Lawson
2008: Chalmers
2007: Green
2006: Green
2005: Felton
2004: Taliek

Only Taurean Green and Nolan Smith haven't left a mark in the NBA (and Siva, as of yet), though Green has been very successful in Europe and IMHO is NBA caliber.

You need a point guard to win a title. Purvis ain't it.

Reaction Score
Taliek Brown left a mark in the NBA? Nolan Smith wasn't a true point. And I think scheye ended playing point for that team.

Reaction Score
Taliek Brown left a mark in the NBA? Nolan Smith wasn't a true point. And I think scheye ended playing point for that team.
I clearly meant everyone after Taliek, as I'd explained in the previous paragraph.

And say what you want about Smith, but he averaged 5+ assists as a senior.

C

Chief00

Don't underestimate a point guard who makes everyone else better. Quite frankly, my guess is you never played the game, because if you did you would instantly get it.

Reaction Score
None of those pgs you mentioned were even the most important players on their respective teams, except kemba. Maybe chalmers. The speculation that we can't win with purvis running the show is baseless, He has gobs of potential lets just wait and see.

Reaction Score
Chalmers split a lot of the PG duties with Sherron Collins. Kemba split them with Bazz (and played against a Nored-Mack platoon in the final). You necessarily don't need one dominant guy there - but you do need options. If Purvis shares them with someone else with someone like Samuel who has more of a role player mentality, we could be fine. But we'll have to see.

Even Taliek shared a lot of them with Ben - especially late in games when Ben was the closer with the ball in his hands.

Reaction Score
Don't underestimate a point guard who makes everyone else better. Quite frankly, my guess is you never played the game, because if you did you would instantly get it.

"You've never played the game" is code for "I don't have anything to support what I'm saying."

"Quite frankly," what you're saying is flatly contradicted by the fact that the NBA is littered with guys who nominally play the role of point guard after having grown up - or played in college - as shooting guards.

Reaction Score
NBA trends do not equal NCAA trends. The last title-winning point guard who wasn't drafted was Taliek - guards, specifically point guards who can manage the game, are still a must if you want a banner.

2013: Siva
2012: Teague
2011: Kemba
2010: Smith
2009: Lawson
2008: Chalmers
2007: Green
2006: Green
2005: Felton
2004: Taliek

Only Taurean Green and Nolan Smith haven't left a mark in the NBA (and Siva, as of yet), though Green has been very successful in Europe and IMHO is NBA caliber.

You need a point guard to win a title. Purvis ain't it.

You're saying something different. You need someone playing the lead guard position, sure, but this idea of the natural born, pure point guard is outdated. Listing a bunch of guys who were drafted - and by the way, wasn't the knock on Kemba always that he wasn't a pure point guard? - does nothing for you.

Taurean Green is an NBA caliber point guard if the league suddenly expands to 80 teams.

Reaction Score
You are forgetting the one who is the most athletic as well as the toughest
And most physical

Fuchs will defend all 5 positions. Match up problem.on offense Sf too weak. Guards to small pf too slow to defend him

Samuels aau teammate. And friend. Calhoun. Hs teammate and friend. Facey aau teammate and friend.

Reaction Score
You are forgetting the one who is the most athletic as well as the toughest
And most physical

Fuchs will defend all 5 positions. Match up problem.on offense Sf too weak. Guards to small pf too slow to defend him

Samuels aau teammate. And friend. Calhoun. Hs teammate and friend. Facey aau teammate and friend.
Can't wait for Fuchs to get here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1