Sidney Wilson's first visit: St. John's | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Sidney Wilson's first visit: St. John's

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chief00

If you are comparing Mullen vs. Ollie as a coach, it's night and day. Doesn't surprise me that the coaches prefer UConn because of this.

In terms of popularity Mullins is the least popular coach in the Big East with other coaches. Not exactly sure why? I met Chris a few times and he was always nice.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
In terms of popularity Mullins is the least popular coach in the Big East with other coaches. Not exactly sure why? I met Chris a few times and he was always nice.
I sat with Chris M once for about 15 minutes up in a box during the OBE tourney
Yeah he's areal nice guy - taller than I thought
But I can see why he gets some negatives as a coach - he has an edge and does have an ego - but then again, what coach doesn't

Reaction Score
Of course his parents might love St John - not sure if the rule still applies - but the scholarship gives room and board money - so he can live at home - and get paid the room and board money.
I'm under the impression the NCAA has rules against that

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Of course his parents might love St John - not sure if the rule still applies - but the scholarship gives room and board money - so he can live at home - and get paid the room and board money.

Thought board 'meant' the equivalent of a room provided by the school.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Jamaica Queens is just about the furthest away you can be from Manhattan and still be in NYC.

Not to mention it's a dump and St. John's hasn't been nationally relevant in 20 years.

Can't predict what a kid will decide but I can't imagine any scenario where someone could look at both schools and choose The Johnnie's over UConn.

That being said everyone is different.

Reaction Score
Jamaica Queens is just about the furthest away you can be from Manhattan and still be in NYC.

Not to mention it's a dump and St. John's hasn't been nationally relevant in 20 years.

Can't predict what a kid will decide but I can't imagine any scenario where someone could look at both schools and choose The Johnnie's over UConn.

That being said everyone is different.

Very true. But family is family

Reaction Score

I heard this on a podcast a while back. Long story short, St. John's cannot do this anymore.

For the long part, the podcast (I'm forgetting the name right now, but if anyone is interested I can look it up later) talked about how St. John's used to have a huge advantage in recruiting because of a certain NCAA rule. That rule was that if you did not have on-campus dorms, you could pay student-athletes in cash the money needed to live near the respective university.

As you can imagine, recruits loved this especially those that already lived in NYC as they could pocket the cash. However, I forget exactly when this happened but St. John's built on-campus dorms at which point St. John's could no longer offer this sweet deal to recruits.

St. John's has been nothing short of garbage in the college basketball world ever since.

I also found this article that summarizes the subject back in 2008: Did Growing as a School Cost St. John's Hoops?

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Ah Chief I don't think you've ever tried to make the trip from the Bronx to Douglaston Queens. As they say in Maine you can't get theyah from heahh

Reaction Score
I'm under the impression the NCAA has rules against that

There should be no rules against that. One of my housemates played D1 hockey. Made bank living off campus.

BaZZnBOAT

ONIONS!
Reaction Score

When I saw the Johnnies in person at Mohegan a few years back, I don't think Mullins did enough to actually be considered a "coach". He does this thing where he sits on the scorer's table and just... watches. I'm sure there is more to it, but it seems like he doesn't take this job super seriously. He could go 0-30 and the St. John's fanbase would love him still. He's a god there.

C

Chief00

During St John's glory days - Chris Mullins, Mark Jackson, Walter Berry - that was their big advantage - not just the guys in Queens took advantage of it.

C

Chief00

I heard this on a podcast a while back. Long story short, St. John's cannot do this anymore.

For the long part, the podcast (I'm forgetting the name right now, but if anyone is interested I can look it up later) talked about how St. John's used to have a huge advantage in recruiting because of a certain NCAA rule. That rule was that if you did not have on-campus dorms, you could pay student-athletes in cash the money needed to live near the respective university.

As you can imagine, recruits loved this especially those that already lived in NYC as they could pocket the cash. However, I forget exactly when this happened but St. John's built on-campus dorms at which point St. John's could no longer offer this sweet deal to recruits.

St. John's has been nothing short of garbage in the college basketball world ever since.

I also found this article that summarizes the subject back in 2008: Did Growing as a School Cost St. John's Hoops?

I read this differently - they can still do it - but only up to the cost of room and board of a student living in the dorm. Previously, they could index it to the cost of living in that part of NYC. My guess is room and board in a dorm is probably around $15,000. So they could still live at home and pocket that.

C

Chief00

I can't imagine any kid playing major college basketball living at home.
Ha ha - Chief being cynical here - pocket the $15k and have some alumnus give him an apartment on the cheap or split the costs with roommates who pay it all.

Reaction Score
I read this differently - they can still do it - but only up to the cost of room and board of a student living in the dorm. Previously, they could index it to the cost of living in that part of NYC. My guess is room and board in a dorm is probably around $15,000. So they could still live at home and pocket that.

The article I cited previously reads that way, but the way I understood it from the podcast and these two article below, I read it how i had originally explained it. Either way, national writers seems agree it has had a noticeable effect on St. John's ability to recruit.

Outlook for five college basketball programs that have fallen off sharply

Mail: Will St. John's ever be relevant again?

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
well selfishly I hope he listens to his coaches if they're really pushing UConn. I won't ever blame someone for staying home, though.

One thing I just realized - if Brewster coaches are pushing him to UConn, that means the MAL debacle didn't burn as many bridges as we may have thought. Not sure if there is anything to this or just my mind running wild, but potentially a good thing to consider.

Reaction Score
I envy you. I find it impossible to not get excited about good recruiting news, and this is very good news
I used to be on edge with every word that came out of recruiting. And then after many years I learned to go with the flow and not get too excited or down with any of the news. You just learn to realize that until the recruit commits and then ultimately signs a LOI a lot of the time all the noise just doesn't mean much. Look at Hamidou Diallo's recruitment as an example.

Reaction Score
I used to be on edge with every word that came out of recruiting. And then after many years I learned to go with the flow and not get too excited or down with any of the news. You just learn to realize that until the recruit commits and then ultimately signs a LOI a lot of the time all the noise just doesn't mean much. Look at Hamidou Diallo's recruitment as an example.

Don't try to make sense of how one should act regarding recruiting Hooper it sounds silly. ;)

Reaction Score
One thing I just realized - if Brewster coaches are pushing him to UConn, that means the MAL debacle didn't burn as many bridges as we may have thought. Not sure if there is anything to this or just my mind running wild, but potentially a good thing to consider.

Maybe it's out of guilt over the MAL situation?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

I highly, highly, highly doubt that there were any bridges burned or even singed.

The Brewster group are good people.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Maybe it's out of guilt over the MAL situation?

Don't think they had anything to do with it. It was likely a lot on KO, a fair amount on Cooley, and some on Miller.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom