Sid Wilson visting Thursday | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Sid Wilson visting Thursday

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chief00

Whaley did, blake harris did. This late in the game it happens all the time. Our chance drop significantly when they leave campus uncommitted

See you listening to Chief coaching dudes up!

pj

Reaction Score
Sid is in a different category from a Whaley or Blake Harris - they started visits a year ago and are definitely in the 2017 class, Wilson is just beginning visits and has the option to wait until 2018. He is taking visits on a rapid pace so he can complete visits and still enroll for summer session. There's no reason not to take visits and make an informed decision. If I were Sid Wilson Sr., I would require that.

Reaction Score
Sid-Vicious kinda has that hamidou-like athleticism while I was watching his highlights. Maybe not right now, but he's getting there. His explosiveness when he dunks put a mess in my pants.

C

Chief00

Sid is in a different category from a Whaley or Blake Harris - they started visits a year ago and are definitely in the 2017 class, Wilson is just beginning visits and has the option to wait until 2018. He is taking visits on a rapid pace so he can complete visits and still enroll for summer session. There's no reason not to take visits and make an informed decision. If I were Sid Wilson Sr., I would require that.

PJ - come on - this is recruiting. The more schools he sees the more BS he hears and the more negative recruiting against UConn.

Let's not go back to the Miller recruiting era of laying out the perfect class schedule and reviewing course catalogs for class content. Hopefully, those days are thankfully over!!!

pj

Reaction Score
PJ - come on - this is recruiting. The more schools he sees the more BS he hears and the more negative recruiting against UConn.

Let's not go back to the Miller recruiting era of laying out the perfect class schedule and reviewing course catalogs for class content. Hopefully, those days are thankfully over!!!

UConn should push for the commitment by all means. I was only pointing out that it's not irrational for him to want to take his visits before deciding, even if he loves UConn.

C

Chief00

Wow, thanks for the new info about Miller and previous recruiting tactics... I had not heard that before!
Yeah, ideally you would advise someone to visit all schools, gather all pertinent accurate information and do a compare. But, that's not how recruiting works at this level. Coaches make a lot of money - their jobs are on the line - everyone wants to win but every game has a winner and loser - so there is lots of pressure that makes it a less than perfect process for the recruit - even if his side is trying to do it the right way.

Reaction Score
How encouraged should i be by this. Lol
Really what do you expect him to say? Hard to bad mouth people who just put you up and paid for dinner. I wouldn't put much stock in those comments.

Reaction Score
Really what do you expect him to say? Hard to bad mouth people who just put you up and paid for dinner. I wouldn't put much stock in those comments.
I think he was being sarcastic.

Reaction Score
I think he was being sarcastic.

He could of said nothing....and no i wasnt being sarcastic. Plenty of recruits have visited and left saying nothing.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Yeah, ideally you would advise someone to visit all schools, gather all pertinent accurate information and do a compare. But, that's not how recruiting works at this level. Coaches make a lot of money - their jobs are on the line - everyone wants to win but every game has a winner and loser - so there is lots of pressure that makes it a less than perfect process for the recruit - even if his side is trying to do it the right way.

I understand that the coaches need to put on a hard sell, but I believe that there are probably some kids turned off by it. It's like buying a car. I tell them I'm not deciding, and expect that they will still try to get me to commit. If they push on that though, I'm gone and I'm not coming back. Lots of people react negatively to hard sell tactics. The smart coach will read the kid and his family correctly and determine the right approach.

Reaction Score
IMG_6431.jpg

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I understand that the coaches need to put on a hard sell, but I believe that there are probably some kids turned off by it. It's like buying a car. I tell them I'm not deciding, and expect that they will still try to get me to commit. If they push on that though, I'm gone and I'm not coming back. Lots of people react negatively to hard sell tactics. The smart coach will read the kid and his family correctly and determine the right approach.

I agree with this. That said, in this day and age, I feel the game/pitch has changed. It's really hard to do the Calhoun "you're promised nothing. You earn what you get" pitch. Not as many kids around who respond to this.

Kids want smoke blown up their @ss. They want promises of playing time. Promises of being the man. They've been told how great they are from a young age, and they expect that to continue, to an even greater degree. Most of all, they want to be wanted. Respect, etc. The hard sell feeds the ego. jmo

Obviously this is not universal, but just seems like the trend. The AAU/twitter effect.

C

Chief00

True - but it's got to be a harder sell than meandering through the class catalog discussing class times and requirements. Maybe that works in the Ivy League?

Reaction Score
I would doubt there is a one-size-fits all approach to recruiting. To me recruiting is nothing more than sales. The best salespeople know the product they are selling, get to know the client and his needs and work to build a trusting relationship. For some kids it might be 100% about basketball (roster, style, mins, TV appearances, etc) and to others it may include understanding the academics, trusting the coaching staff, etc.

I would think the approach might differ based not only on the kid, but his parents/influencers. Sounds to me like the recruiting and retention of a Vance Jackson is a bit different than the recruitment of a Tremont Waters.

Reaction Score
The FC recruiting seems rudderless

Let's bring in a bunch of similar 2-3 star players and hope a couple work out, but we have zero idea who will

At a minimum hopefully the coaching will improve tremendously and maybe there is a stud or 2

Reaction Score
I agree with this. That said, in this day and age, I feel the game/pitch has changed. It's really hard to do the Calhoun "you're promised nothing. You earn what you get" pitch. Not as many kids around who respond to this.

Kids want smoke blown up their @ss. They want promises of playing time. Promises of being the man. They've been told how great they are from a young age, and they expect that to continue, to an even greater degree. Most of all, they want to be wanted. Respect, etc. The hard sell feeds the ego. jmo

Obviously this is not universal, but just seems like the trend. The AAU/twitter effect.
Part of selling is understanding your customer.
I wouldn't suspect that kind of work would be too difficult to accomplish given the number of recruits ,the staff, and sometimes multiple years the process takes.
One size fits all is seldom an effective approach.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
True - but it's got to be a harder sell than meandering through the class catalog discussing class times and requirements. Maybe that works in the Ivy League?

If you are trying to tell me that that was Glen Miller's sales pitch...I simply don't believe you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom