Sid Wilson Transferring | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Sid Wilson Transferring

Reaction Score
Wish you the beat Sid! Definitely showed some promise and talent.

Reaction Score
Its not a love affair with Sid, nor do I even know the kid. I also didn't see Sid at practice or know anything about what he chose to do off the court that put him in Hurley's doghouse. I do know that his lack of PT had more to with that than it did his ability. How do I know? Because, simply put, Sid had more ability than half the roster last year. He still does. If Hurley wants to play smaller and fast, Sid is better than most of the players that are being speculated about on this board, sans Nolley and a potential reclassification. Other than that, I wouldn't get your panties wet. It seems like Ole Miss and Georgia are desperate for players. Sid would get plenty of minutes on either team. Unfortunately, Sid was unable to get his act together and meet Hurley's standards. I do know, the few times he did play, we were far more athletic and played a better brand of basketball with him on the floor. Sometimes things don't work out, especially when a new coach inherits a bad team. Just like I don't blame Hurley for this decision, I certainly wouldn't belittle Sid's ability and potential as a basketball player.

I think what you are missing is the lack of any discernable skillset. While very athletic, Sid never showed any handle or much passing ability. He also wasn't a very good shooter or rebounder. Yes, the highlights (like the insanely high block that should have been a goaltend) are memorable. Sid had some great moments to be sure, but his lack of fundamentals prevented him from producing consistently.

I could see Sid flourishing in a real uptempo system. I hope that fit is out there for him.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Another comment from Sid...
Screenshot_20200404-094544_Chrome.jpg

Reaction Score
I think what you are missing is the lack of any discernable skillset. While very athletic, Sid never showed any handle or much passing ability. He also wasn't a very good shooter or rebounder. Yes, the highlights (like the insanely high block that should have been a goaltend) are memorable. Sid had some great moments to be sure, but his lack of fundamentals prevented him from producing consistently.

I could see Sid flourishing in a real uptempo system. I hope that fit is out there for him.
Some people get enamored by the occasional highlight reel play and assume that can be extrapolated. In Sid’s case, that is clearly not true. How do we know this??? BECAUSE IT DIDN’T HAPPEN. He had every opportunity. How someone can assume a change of scenery is all of a sudden going to result in a miraculous improvement in fundamental skills that are so clearly missing is beyond me. Playing time was as available here as it is at Ole Miss or Georgia or anywhere else and the kid couldn’t stay on the floor.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Sid should stop commenting. He was given every opportunity.

Was he? He’s not a practice guy but he tended to play better the more he played. Whaley was buried and given no opportunity. He worked his butt off an still only really got a chance due to injuries. Not saying Sid isn’t at fault for not working harder, but I don‘t think he got much chance in games.

I wish him well. I do t think Hurley is the right coach for him. He came to play for Ollie who was probably a better match.

Reaction Score
Sid should stop commenting. He was given every opportunity.

In Sid’s defense, it was one conversation, and the writer keeps taking pull quotes and making it a new tweet. I get that Sid would be frustrated and how that could very well be his perspective. His future in basketball kind of depends on him being right about this, that he wasn’t used right or given an opportunity. One can disagree with his opinion, but it doesn’t make it less true for him.

OTOH, players like Sid are the type to get coaches fired (slight hyperbole but a little accurate)- they see some of his physical skills and the occasional flashes and think, “I can work with that, I’m the one that can help him put it together.” All coaches have egos like that. It just doesn’t always work out.

pj

Reaction Score
Sid is entitled to voice his opinions, and they are reasonable ones -- it's proper that he should believe in himself more than others believed in him. Personally I prefer to hear honesty and openness from kids rather than the words of a professional PR guy who always puts a fake "classy, gracious" gloss on everything.

Sid wasn't good enough to play here but hopefully he will find the right coach, the court time, and the inner resources to develop his talents.

Reaction Score
I just hope Sid remembers that colleges do issue degrees. And that the free ones are the best with lifetime benefits (i.e. no student debt). The biggest perk is that he is allowed to have fun 'playing' basketball as well.

Just saying. . .

Reaction Score
Bummer on Sid, so much potential. I'm of the opinion his issues were more off the court than on, when he played he contributed.

He did improve during his time at Uconn, that 3 point shot was a nice addition that didn't just happen. He put in work.

Reaction Score
He transferred here under KO. He was the typical KO wing, like Larrier, who looked like he should have been a much better player than he was, and didn't have much skill and awareness that translated to in-game situations.

Hurley didn't know how to use him because there wasn't much he excelled at besides the occasional big dunk or block. On a possession by possession basis, he didn't make the team function better on either end.
Great point! My comment does not apply to this situation. Thank you.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Was he? He’s not a practice guy but he tended to play better the more he played. Whaley was buried and given no opportunity. He worked his butt off an still only really got a chance due to injuries. Not saying Sid isn’t at fault for not working harder, but I don‘t think he got much chance in games.

I wish him well. I do t think Hurley is the right coach for him. He came to play for Ollie who was probably a better match.
I guess I'd say he was given "ample" opportunity to show he deserved more time on the floor and, whether it was on-court or off-court issues, time and again he failed to earn it. Most of his highlights were on recoveries from plays he screwed up, like that freakish block, which was from behind.

Reaction Score
When I think of Sid I will think of two things -
1) highlight reel blocks
2) coming in and giving up wide open shots with lethargic effort.
To me, he couldn’t get run with 8 guys and one playing miserably. Tells me everything I need to know about his effort and intensity. There were tons of games Adams struggled too. If it was there, no doubt he’d have played more. I trust Coach Hurley, I don’t believe Sid controlled his controllable. Hopefully, he learns that lesson as I’m sure Hurley tried.
Wish him all the success in the world. He could see writing on wall with Jackson coming in and possibly Vaughn, Nolley.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
He should make videos with Kwintin, Sid at least had an occasional flair for the spectacular In a game.

Reaction Score
Very athletic kid with limited basketball skills. And based on his various suspensions limited self control too. He could do very well at Iona or someplace where his athleticism will be superior to many guys.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom