Sid Wilson Transferring | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Sid Wilson Transferring

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Best of luck to Sid.

This is a win win for both parties.

He can find a better fit and a fresh start. UConn can add a guy who better fits their current roster.

Reaction Score
If you remember, when Hurley took the job he said something to the effect that Sid's presence on the roster was one of the reasons he accepted the offer. It is hard to therefore believe Sid wasn't given every opportunity to succeed. I do wish him luck in the future!

Reaction Score
Sid’s got pro level tools but it hasn’t come together for him. He needs to play to develop heading forward and no matter what his tools are, that’s not happening at a high major because those tools haven’t turned into ability.

And frankly - you can’t be a low motor guy in practice and expect playing time. Anywhere. College sports is littered w/ guys like him. That’s all on him.

Also there was clearly clashes w/ Hurley and when you’re not playing when your team is down to 7/8 guys, you’re cooked. With what’s coming in, he didn’t have a shot. And at his age - you’re really wish casting if you think there’s a huge developmental curve for a guy in two years. And to boot - wishing on that development curve given the potential of everyone else there - who are just flat out better.

Great lottery ticket guy at a program who needs some athleticism and who is building towards something - but that’s really all he is right now. Totally wish him the best but that’s really it in a nutshell.

Reaction Score
I definitely wish Sid the best wherever he goes and he definitely made some very good splash plays throughout the course of the last 2 years. Hurley has been subliminally talking about him needing to step up in practice for almost 3 years now- he was given three years to improve/step up and failed to do so / playing time was there /the straw that broke the camels back was even after Polley and akok got hurt - he got suspended and could not step up /how many chances do you want Hurley to give the kid ? hope he lands on his feet somewhere And does damage but his time has run out here - enough is enough.

Reaction Score
The subtext is pretty clear with Sid's comments that he did not want to leave. I don't like seeing bitter departures but I have to trust Hurley on this one. Sid is more athlete than basketball player and when you throw in off the court issues and motivation/intensity issues then it's going to be hard for a college kid to find success.

It's a little bittersweet; losing him to St. John's and then having him transfer in so quickly brought a shot of optimism to the program. He was a ray of hope during the darker stretch of KO's tenure. We all had high hopes for him and wanted him to be a key piece in turning this thing around. I never expected him to give us 4 pts & 2 rebs a game over two years before transferring out. I wish him the best of luck at his next stop.

Reaction Score
Good luck Sid. I was kinda hoping he'd turn into our 2020's version of Stanley Robinson. But alas it was not meant to be. I hope he succeeds wherever he goes. Did anyone do a highlight video for him?

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
So how many scholarships does Marshall still have open at Wichita? Seems like Sid would be of interest.

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
We all know Sid's potential and we've discussed ad nauseam the perceived (based upon bench time?) work ethic and possible character issues. I believe he exhausts his potential if he can do the following. Asap.
1. Work religiously on a reliable 15-18 foot jumper, foul line extended. His ability to get open in the middle is uncanny. He has to be a zone killer when he gets in the middle.

2. Same w/ corner three. Should be in his arsenal. His goal 35 percent. Shoot thousands of catch and shoot and fly drill 3's.

3. Develop a tighter handle. I'm not suggesting Kemba, or Paul George but a reliable handle which allows you to better create and play-make. He's 6'7" and lean, most coaches would expect him to have a tighter handle. Developing a handle is simple, not easy, but simple. Just put work into it. There are a million drills, some guys never needed that stuff i.e., Jamal Crawford, but for everyone else, this one deserves the Ollieism of "get in the gym". That's it.

4. Some wiry-thin guys are strong, think Sprewell. But in Sid's case, until he shows otherwise, he's a 3-4, which means he needs five or more lbs, he needs to add as much as possible w/out decreasing his athleticism. Particularly his core. Also, though explosive in the open, he needs to work on gaining strength allowing him to steady himself on out of range rebounds, recover, go strong utilizing his leaping ability and gathering and one's.

5. More inner core strengthening allowing him to use his length and stride to shuffle and defend guards, and the lower body strength to muscle with fours to some degree.

If he tightens up points 1,2 and 3 and develops guard-like skills, he'll have a long and successful G league/overseas career, if not he'll play pro ball but won't make as much money in leagues which value shooting and ball movement.

Reaction Score
Won’t be a popular take, but I think Syracuse would be a great style fit for Sid and vice versa.

Best of luck to him, wherever he ends up.

Reaction Score
I have no problem with his departure.... And i wish him well where ever he winds up.....

Reaction Score
my favorite in these threads is when people wish the kids well as if that person's default is to wish them ill, but they are choosing to be magnanimous or something?

Performative humanity is very weird.

And despite your great insight into performative humanity, you chose to post this anonymously on a basketball message board. Look in the mirror dude. But I think the 'Yard is probably more a funhouse mirror than anything, so take it with a grain of salt

Reaction Score
And despite your great insight into performative humanity, you chose to post this anonymously on a basketball message board. Look in the mirror dude. But I think the 'Yard is probably more a funhouse mirror than anything, so take it with a grain of salt

Its.. a message board... where we... post things... that we... think about.

but thanks for the lesson in, in guess, what a message board is?

Reaction Score
A post just like every person who wished Sid well in this thread. The point is that your complaint is useless, much like the other posts in this thread Sid will never read.

Thank you so much for pointing this out. Really was super helpful. It was a tough night on the keyboard but I wish you well moving forward.

Reaction Score
After watching the highlight video it's pretty sobering to look at his stats for his two years at UConn. Even though they're highlights and aren't reflective of his overall minutes, it's hard to imagine how poorly he performed overall when you can see such flashes of real ability.
Hopefully he'll embrace this opportunity and do what he needs to do to enhance his skills and his attitude so he can be the best he can be. The team seemed to genuinely like him and it's disappointing to see him walk away from this team.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
my favorite in these threads is when people wish the kids well as if that person's default is to wish them ill, but they are choosing to be magnanimous or something?

Performative humanity is very weird.
Kind of an odd take, but whatever.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Disagree, I think it's a pretty open and honest quote from Sid. Don't see what's bad about it

I guess you and the 40+ people like to bury your head in the sand. When a playersays they want to “be themselves” after getting suspended for smoking and not working hard enough to get on the floor when the team has 7 guys. I guess it’s easy to see how there is nothing bad with the quote.

Reaction Score
Sid’s got pro level tools but it hasn’t come together for him. He needs to play to develop heading forward and no matter what his tools are, that’s not happening at a high major because those tools haven’t turned into ability.

And frankly - you can’t be a low motor guy in practice and expect playing time. Anywhere. College sports is littered w/ guys like him. That’s all on him.

Also there was clearly clashes w/ Hurley and when you’re not playing when your team is down to 7/8 guys, you’re cooked. With what’s coming in, he didn’t have a shot. And at his age - you’re really wish casting if you think there’s a huge developmental curve for a guy in two years. And to boot - wishing on that development curve given the potential of everyone else there - who are just flat out better.

Great lottery ticket guy at a program who needs some athleticism and who is building towards something - but that’s really all he is right now. Totally wish him the best but that’s really it in a nutshell.
Pro level tools??? WTF?? Good athleticism. Almost zero fundamental basketball skills. FAR from pro level tools. The kid averaged 3.5 ppg where he had a chance for unlimited minutes. What exactly are his “pro level tools”?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom