Sid Wilson suspended | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Sid Wilson suspended

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
You've largely touched on the reason for my skepticism of his game. He was the only recruit of note we've gotten in years, so of course we're going to over-hype him.

He's a skinny 'tweener who seems to have the ability to do different things on the court, but it's not obvious how it translates to the team game. This is the kind of guy who almost always falls short of expectations. Terry Larrier 2.0 perhaps. Hope I'm wrong.

First of all his game is extremely different from Terry Larrier's and he is not coming off 2 ACL's so that is a bad comparison. He is also rated a bit higher on RSCI at #77 than I recalled. My main point was that guys like these usually end up as good players but usually take a couple of years. This is the Vance Jackson, Jeremy Lamb, Kentan Facey range. Some are good immediately and some bust but most likely Sid will be good as an upperclassmen. My pushback is against people expecting him to be a stud immediately, which is very unlikely.

Reaction Score
First of all his game is extremely different from Terry Larrier's and he is not coming off 2 ACL's so that is a bad comparison. He is also rated a bit higher on RSCI at #77 than I recalled. My main point was that guys like these usually end up as good players but usually take a couple of years. This is the Vance Jackson, Jeremy Lamb, Kentan Facey range. Some are good immediately and some bust but most likely Sid will be good as an upperclassmen. My pushback is against people expecting him to be a stud immediately, which is very unlikely.

Bouknight in the same vein ?

Reaction Score
Bouknight in the same vein ?

In terms of rankings, yes. Usually bigs and more raw players in general develop later (duh) and I expect Bouknight to be productive earlier. His scouting report and playing style remind many of Jeremy Lamb, a guy who he was ranked slightly lower than JB. I think he will be a very solid player by his sophomore season.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
Bouknight and Gaffney are both better than him. I think Gaffney has a chance to be awesome.
Those 2 with a healthy Al is a STUD backcourt. Will likely take time though.

Reaction Score
Bouknight is complete. Very polished for a young kid. Great form, a top notch talent. He is the kind of guy you see on a very successful team.

Reaction Score
“No further comment” translates into “no further comment”, a phrase that would be used if the kid was suspended for missing a practice or shooting the Archduke Ferdinand.

I heard from someone close to the program Hurley is working on a new drill called the Schlieffen.

#bigiftrue

Reaction Score
Would a positive drug test for weed or even alcohol be enough to trigger this?

Reaction Score
Finally catching up on this thread, and I’m shocked to see that the reactions so far have been a bit extreme.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
He was the only recruit of note we've gotten in years, so of course we're going to over-hype him.

As others have already noted, this is hyperbolic and not particularly reflective of reality.

This is the kind of guy who almost always falls short of expectations.

I always had you pegged as the type of guy who favors data and other forms of hard evidence before jumping to conclusions. Calling someone "the kind of guy who almost always falls short of expectations" before they've played a single minute of regulation collegiate basketball seems almost comically premature. Although if your expectations are far higher than anyone else's here, I guess I can't fault you for saying that.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
I agree with your overarching point about the roster but don't see why you would post that in this thread because it's not relevant to Sid when Hurley recruited him.

I have spent more time warning people to be cautious on Sid than anyone. The 90th ranked recruit is no guarantee to be a stud at any point in their career, let alone their first year. But he still gives many reasons for optimism, especially long term.

Someone who follows this more closely than I do, correct me if I'm wrong...but wasn't #90 the ranking after his 2017 reclass? I seem to recall him being ranked considerably higher when he was grouped with the other 2018s.

Reaction Score
Finally catching up on this thread, and I’m shocked to see that the reactions so far have been a bit extreme.
One of the pieces we're depending in this season and probably our third most talented plaayer is suspended and is going to miss games, possibly a significant amount of time after he along with our supposed best player and senior leader miss the scrimmage for screwing up. The reaction seems pretty fair especially considering the garbage this fanbase has had to endure the past couple of years

Reaction Score
Typically getting caught breaking the law warrants some kind of repercussion, yes.
There’s breaking the law like B&E and there’s weed which is perfectly legal in many states though against U rules. There are degrees of offense. This can’t stay a secret for very long.

Reaction Score
Someone who follows this more closely than I do, correct me if I'm wrong...but wasn't #90 the ranking after his 2017 reclass? I seem to recall him being ranked considerably higher when he was grouped with the other 2018s.

Nah, don't think so. He may have had a higher ranking at some point earlier in his HS career but I just checked it out on the wayback machine and his final ranking before reclassing was actually 89. I think its just an oft repeated albeit inaccurate Boneyard meme.

Reaction Score
Nah, don't think so. He may have had a higher ranking at some point earlier in his HS career but I just checked it out on the wayback machine and his final ranking before reclassing was actually 89. I think its just an oft repeated albeit inaccurate Boneyard meme.
Rivals had him at #58 and Scout had him at #50 and 247 had him at #78 in their 2018 rankings before he reclassed to 2017.

Reaction Score
Would a positive drug test for weed or even alcohol be enough to trigger this?
It depends on the semantics of the statement I guess. The "university" wouldn't drug test him exactly whereas the team/NCAA would. If he failed a drug test it'd be a team rules/NCAA eligibility issue, not a university policy issue. But if he were caught with/using weed/alcohol by say an RA or the cops, that would violate the university drug policy. But would that be enough to suspend him indefinitely? Doubt it. Timing could suggest some funny business as well.

Reaction Score
It is almost like the timing of the violation was while Kevin Ollie was in charge and they are still haven’t settled with Kevin Ollie and if Kevin Ollie didn’t suspend ineligible players for failed drug tests you might be able to use that against him in the settlement discussions.

Almost.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc