Sid Wilson suspended | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Sid Wilson suspended

Status
Not open for further replies.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Hate to break it to everyone but Sid is going to be a big part of this program the next 4 years. Jalen is going to be leading this team this year, and Hurley is not purging anybody. Why don’t we put the stones down until we hear what he did? The people who are slandering his name, please knock it off, it’s a terrible look.

Reaction Score
I never like to post second hand rumors but someone i personally know that has close ties to the school also hinted at this. Take this with a huuuugggeeee grain of salt but supposedly there was failed test last year that came with some minor discipline with the understanding that another violation would be more severe. So could it be he violated last years condition to not violate again this year? Is this even possible?

This is what I’m thinking. Recall Wiggins / Dyson in 2007-08

Reaction Score
He can't wait to move on from the kid. Check out these harsh words from 2 weeks ago.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Dan Hurley: “Sid (Wilson) was one of the reasons I took the job.”</p>&mdash; Daily Campus Sports (@dcsportsdept) <a href="">October 15, 2018</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I don't know what to tell you other than Hurley is pumped about the job and the turnaround but he's not exactly pumped about the talent, he knows how important the 5 or so players he brings in for this class will be for the turnaround.

I'm not saying Sid doesn't have some talent but I wouldn't be expecting too much early with him.

Reaction Score
And I have to say this. The negative light that Jalen's name keeps getting put in on this board is completely unwarranted. He's a good kid who cares a ton by all accounts. We aren't in a hurry to get rid of Jalen or CV. They've been failed not the other way around

Reaction Score
I've been trying to brace people and get them to lower and have more realistic expectations. People telling me I was making excuses when I said it's totally unfair to expect something like 25-28 wins as they were predicting. The culture was incredibly bad and Hurley is doing great things in changing that but it doesn't happen overnight. He loves being at UConn but doesn't love what he inherited in terms of talent and culture (he does love the challenge of turning it around and making it great again which he knows he will.) Our frontcourt talent simply isn't anywhere close to where it needs to be at this level which makes guys like Kofi, Akok, and Mitchell so incredibly important, they would start day 1 and get as many minutes as they want. He loves everything about Alterique.

The best we can realistically hope for is sneaking into the tournament, IMO.
25-28 wins? Hurley is an amazing coach, he is not a magician. Ollie left the cupboard bare. Its that simple. On coaching alone, I expect a +3-5 bump in wins. The talent is what it is. Sid was a project with tremendous upside. If he gets to play, great. It would be fun to see what Hurley can do with him. If he doesn't, oh well. Dan Hurley is a rock star. This team is void of rock stars. The only person I would hate seeing leave is the first year Coach.

Reaction Score
I don't know what to tell you other than Hurley is pumped about the job and the turnaround but he's not exactly pumped about the talent, he knows how important the 5 or so players he brings in for this class will be for the turnaround.

I'm not saying Sid doesn't have some talent but I wouldn't be expecting too much early with him.

I agree with your overarching point about the roster but don't see why you would post that in this thread because it's not relevant to Sid when Hurley recruited him.

I have spent more time warning people to be cautious on Sid than anyone. The 90th ranked recruit is no guarantee to be a stud at any point in their career, let alone their first year. But he still gives many reasons for optimism, especially long term.

Reaction Score
I’m guessing he misses a few games, comes back, becomes a solid citizen that makes his country and a dopey message board proud and the world keeps spinning.

Would be nice if he were back by the 3rd and 4th games considering how important all the neutral games will be for any post season aspirations whatsoever.

Reaction Score
25-28 wins? Hurley is an amazing coach, he is not a magician. Ollie left the cupboard bare. Its that simple. On coaching alone, I expect a +3-5 bump in wins. The talent is what it is. Sid was a project with tremendous upside. If he gets to play, great. It would be fun to see what Hurley can do with him. If he doesn't, oh well. Dan Hurley is a rock star. This team is void of rock stars. The only person I would hate seeing leave is the first year Coach.
Please not the rock star thing, lol. I wouldn't call Hurley an amazing x's and o's coach but I think he can be a truly great college coach. I didn't even consider Calhoun an amazing x's and o's coach and he might be the best college coach ever. Hurley has a lot of the same things in him that made Calhoun great. We will be bringing in a lot more talent next year, soon we should have a clearer picture on that.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
'No further comment' translates into a personal issue around criminal, academic or health (drug use) issue that the University can't legally disclose. Not good.

“No further comment” translates into “no further comment”, a phrase that would be used if the kid was suspended for missing a practice or shooting the Archduke Ferdinand.

Reaction Score
Please not the rock star thing, lol. I wouldn't call Hurley an amazing x's and o's coach but I think he can be a truly great college coach. I didn't even consider Calhoun an amazing x's and o's coach and he might be the best college coach ever. Hurley has a lot of the same things in him that made Calhoun great. We will be bringing in a lot more talent next year, soon we should have a clearer picture on that.
Calhoun was perfect for this school. I believe Dan Hurley is as well. From his northeast pedigree and connectiions,, to his personality, to his style of coaching. Personally, I don't think there was a single person better for this job. To me, that is a rock star. He will get UConn back to where it needs to be.

Reaction Score
Calhoun was perfect for this school. I believe Dan Hurley is as well. From his northeast pedigree and connectiions,, to his personality, to his style of coaching. Personally, I don't think there was a single person better for this job. To me, that is a rock star. He will get UConn back to where it needs to be.
It's just that phrase, we've had horrible results whenever that phrase is uttered.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
You'll have to take that up with @swami7774 . He's a hangman by trade. Not sure if he wants to give up his role. Might be Union anyway.

Former college baseball player. I can throw a stone....kind of...damn injuries. Maybe we can recruit Matt Barnes for a celebrity shot.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I've been trying to brace people and get them to lower and have more realistic expectations. People telling me I was making excuses when I said it's totally unfair to expect something like 25-28 wins as they were predicting. The culture was incredibly bad and Hurley is doing great things in changing that but it doesn't happen overnight. He loves being at UConn but doesn't love what he inherited in terms of talent and culture (he does love the challenge of turning it around and making it great again which he knows he will.) Our frontcourt talent simply isn't anywhere close to where it needs to be at this level which makes guys like Kofi, Akok, and Mitchell so incredibly important, they would start day 1 and get as many minutes as they want. He loves everything about Alterique.

The best we can realistically hope for is sneaking into the tournament, IMO.

Been pretty much my take as well. I'm hoping for 18-20 wins which would be a very significant turnaround from 14. I'd like us to finish Top 4 in the American.

Reaction Score
I have spent more time warning people to be cautious on Sid than anyone. The 90th ranked recruit is no guarantee to be a stud at any point in their career, let alone their first year. But he still gives many reasons for optimism, especially long term.

You've largely touched on the reason for my skepticism of his game. He was the only recruit of note we've gotten in years, so of course we're going to over-hype him.

He's a skinny 'tweener who seems to have the ability to do different things on the court, but it's not obvious how it translates to the team game. This is the kind of guy who almost always falls short of expectations. Terry Larrier 2.0 perhaps. Hope I'm wrong.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Sid was a project with tremendous upside. If he gets to play, great. It would be fun to see what Hurley can do with him. If he doesn't, oh well. Dan Hurley is a rock star. This team is void of rock stars. The only person I would hate seeing leave is the first year Coach.

I wouldn't call Sid a project. He's got plenty of skills. It's not like he's a raw athlete who can't yet play basketball.

Sure, he's got plenty of areas to develop, as do most kids coming in yr 1.

Reaction Score
You've largely touched on the reason for my skepticism of his game. He was the only recruit of note we've gotten in years, so of course we're going to over-hype him.

He's a skinny 'tweener who seems to have the ability to do different things on the court, but it's not obvious how it translates to the team game. This is the kind of guy who almost always falls short of expectations. Terry Larrier 2.0 perhaps. Hope I'm wrong.

I believe that's factually wrong and an unnecessary exaggeration. Weren't Enoch, Jackson and Durham all more highly ranked or comparably ranked as Wilson? There are three right there within the last few years. How about Hamilton? Jalen Adams? See what I mean?

Reaction Score
I believe that's factually wrong and an unnecessary exaggeration. Weren't Enoch, Jackson and Durham all more highly ranked or comparably ranked as Wilson? There are three right there within the last few years. How about Hamilton? Jalen Adams? See what I mean?

I meant in the years since that class, which was the last hopeful time of the KO era. In 2017 and 2018 we brought in basically nobody of note. That's 2 years in which he's been the only decently-rated recruit.

Reaction Score
I meant in the years since that class, which was the last hopeful time of the KO era. In 2017 and 2018 we brought in basically nobody of note. That's 2 years in which he's been the only decently-rated recruit.

OK, but when you say "in years" you make it seem like you're talking about a decade or so. Using that phrase to refer to a 2-year period is pretty misleading. Can we not agree on that? As I said, an unnecessary exaggeration.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom