Shifting in AP top 25: Does Tennessee drop out? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Shifting in AP top 25: Does Tennessee drop out?

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Here's the change in point totals from last week. Note almost no change in top 9, and that SoCar had a relatively small drop (-28) but it came in a tight part of the chart. TX & Syr had much point drops but were in a soft spot so they only fell by 1.

Gonzaga's loss to BYU was the killer -- they had the 2nd largest point loss (after a certain Orange school).

View attachment 38562
Nice color-coding!

Reaction Score
Nice color-coding!
What's up with Marquette #10? Appear to have beaten Michigan by 11, and tearing up the Big East, but pretty rare air for a mid-major to get in the top 10!

Reaction Score
So ASU beat OSU, both rank higher,
ASU maybe (if one forgets they scored 39 points in their loss to unranked Arizona), but OSU moves up in rank as well.
To me South Carolina should not drop as they lost to a higher ranked MSST. AP ranking is always kind of off. Maybe they should delay one day and comes out on the same day as coaches’ poll.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
As the new morning breaks and I have had time to reflect on the Tenn game and Holly’s presser, I am less full of snark and glee and more irritated.

To be blunt, how Holly handles her press conferences is a disgrace. She’s on the verge of tears most times after losses and while this particular presser did not have the usual amount of “I don’t know’s” she did admit she “wasn’t sure” a few times. IT’s THE HEAD COACHES JOB TO KNOW EXACTLY THAT! She simply is out of her depth in concept of basketball analysis and public relations with the media. She is not a leader. Great she bleeds Orange, go put her in the “Friends of Lady Vols/Booster” department and trot her out once a year at the “We Back Pat festivities”.

After watching the Tenn AD’s mischoose so many coaches these years and the fact they seemed married to a Pat Legacy, I am confident they will choose another underwhelming former Pat player for the role!

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
One notable thing: the top 8 was unanimous! Those 8 teams got all the top 8 votes.
No other team got higher than 9. Rare to see that kind of break in the data.
Great in a sense they know how to pick the “entree’s”, but many miss the rest of the slotting-Maryland????? Texas????

IWearShoes

Mississippi State
Reaction Score
One notable thing: the top 8 was unanimous! Those 8 teams got all the top 8 votes.

Good observation.

I haven't commented much on polls, but it is beginning to stick in my craw that MSU has been consistently in the top 4 of the Massey Ratings (currently 4th) for weeks, while remaining 7th in the AP poll. Largest disparity of that type in the Top 10.

Guess I'm overly hopeful that the program has earned a level of respect in the last two years that warrants better treatment.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Good observation.

I haven't commented much on polls, but it is beginning to stick in my craw that MSU has been consistently in the top 4 of the Massey Ratings (currently 4th) for weeks, while remaining 7th in the AP poll. Largest disparity of that type in the Top 10.

Guess I'm overly hopeful that the program has earned a level of respect in the last two years that warrants better treatment.
Who are they supposed to be move ahead of, based on whom they've beaten and whom they've lost to?

IWearShoes

Mississippi State
Reaction Score
Who are they supposed to be move ahead of, based on whom they've beaten and whom they've lost to?

They're ranked ahead of UL, Stanford and Oregon in Massey. Those teams and MSU are all likely comparable at this point with comparable resumes, but only one of them has played in the last game of the year the last two seasons and that team is ranked behind the other three by AP voters.

Again, no big deal, it will sort itself out.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Let's see if they ultimately become the Elite Eight in March.

Reaction Score
I also would have a hard time ranking the top eight. The team I feel is overranked is ND, I feel Baylor should be number 1, UCONN number 2, then ND. After the top three I feel you could have the next five in any order.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Speaking of shifting, here is Creme's latest bracketology article:

South Carolina climbs while Tennessee tumbles in bracketology

Tennessee: Yes, the Lady Vols are still in the field despite their first four-game losing streak since 1970, but their place is as tenuous as it has ever been. Tennessee still has three top-50 wins and five against top-100 competition. That's more than some others in this week's bracket (not to mention some teams that aren't). But the loss to Alabama was the most stunning in its margin (21 points), timing (coming off three close losses) and quality of competition (the Crimson Tide entered the game at 9-8 and followed the Thursday upset with a Sunday loss to LSU). Tennessee tumbled from a No. 6 seed to a No. 10, the biggest drop of any team. Arkansas, Notre Dame and LSU loom for the Lady Vols, and anything short of 2-1 record in those games means they will need plenty of help to stay in the field.​

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score

Tennessee: Yes, the Lady Vols are still in the field despite their first four-game losing streak since 1970, but their place is as tenuous as it has ever been. Tennessee still has three top-50 wins and five against top-100 competition. That's more than some others in this week's bracket (not to mention some teams that aren't). But the loss to Alabama was the most stunning in its margin (21 points), timing (coming off three close losses) and quality of competition (the Crimson Tide entered the game at 9-8 and followed the Thursday upset with a Sunday loss to LSU). Tennessee tumbled from a No. 6 seed to a No. 10, the biggest drop of any team. Arkansas, Notre Dame and LSU loom for the Lady Vols, and anything short of 2-1 record in those games means they will need plenty of help to stay in the field.​
Don't think they can get that. More likely 1-2 or 0-3 now.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
They're ranked ahead of UL, Stanford and Oregon in Massey. Those teams and MSU are all likely comparable at this point with comparable resumes, but only one of them has played in the last game of the year the last two seasons and that team is ranked behind the other three by AP voters.

Again, no big deal, it will sort itself out.

You are totally right it will work itself out, but I'd argue you dont' have a case to be moved ahead of Oregon (who beat Miss St) or Stanford (who has beaten Baylor). Louisville, on the other hand,doesn't have a marquee win on their resume right now.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Don't think they can get that. More likely 1-2 or 0-3 now.
It'll take a miracle for them to beat ND. The loss to Arkansas puts them on the wrong side of Charlie's bubble for now, but Tennessee will have lots of opportunities left in the SEC schedule to shore up its at-large resume. They just need to have some of these close games fall their way.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
It'll take a miracle for them to beat ND. The loss to Arkansas puts them on the wrong side of Charlie's bubble for now, but Tennessee will have lots of opportunities left in the SEC schedule to shore up its at-large resume. They just need to have some of these close games fall their way.
It's gonna get harder and harder though. They already are looking really discouraged.

Reaction Score

Charlie needs to turn a tv or a computer and watch some games instead of just looking at the results and crunching numbers. Tennessee is bad team, just as bad some others he has out of the tournament.

Reaction Score
Charlie needs to turn a tv or a computer and watch some games instead of just looking at the results and crunching numbers. Tennessee is bad team, just as bad some others he has out of the tournament.
He's always been a LV homer. Simply look at his history. Sometimes its hard to let go of "legacy" systems!

Plebe

Reaction Score
Tournament selection is overwhelmingly based on results, not on the so-called "eye test." He's not there to impose his personal opinion, but to predict what the selection committee would decide.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Temple is 4-13, #202 in Massey
Kansas is 11-5, #52 in Massey.

Speaks for itself.
I see the stats. However, if Kansas played Temple, I believe Temple would win. Who has Kansas played and beat that is a good team?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom