OT: - Shellfish | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: Shellfish

Reaction Score
I had an amazing shell fish dinner recently while in Scotland. All of the fish from the north sea. Scallops, linguistne, lobster, clams, amazing quality.

Reaction Score
For the shrimp people, crazy thing is I hate shrimp when they cooked or warm. Only like them when cold and as "cocktail." I will say when I golf in Ocean City MD area they warm'em up with Old Bey sauce and I can handle a few of those for some reason, but mostly any other way just not for me.

Old Bay steamed shrimp. Make them all the time. Steam them in beer. Old Bay seasoning and cut up scallions. That’s it. Peel and eat. Quick dinner.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
So for those of you that love oysters, do you actually chew them or just let them slide down whole? If you just let them slide down whole, how are they different? I've never actually had them, but maybe I should give a try. I'm just not understanding the concept of swallowing a lugy if that's what you are doing.

I really enjoy most any shellfish - clams, lobster, mussels, crab. I've just never tried an oyster cause I guess I don't get the idea.

Reaction Score
So for those of you that love oysters, do you actually chew them or just let them slide down whole?

Chew... it releases the liquor(liquid within the oyster where most of the flavor is).

If chewing a raw oyster gags you... start w/ a grilled oyster to get over the hump. Best grilled/charbroiled oysters I’ve ever had where @ Drago’s in New Orleans (can be replicated @ home).

‪Corrected link:Grilled Oysters at Drago's

Last edited:
Reaction Score
So for those of you that love oysters, do you actually chew them or just let them slide down whole? If you just let them slide down whole, how are they different? I've never actually had them, but maybe I should give a try. I'm just not understanding the concept of swallowing a lugy if that's what you are doing.

I really enjoy most any shellfish - clams, lobster, mussels, crab. I've just never tried an oyster cause I guess I don't get the idea.

Try them this way at first, really good and chewable:

Oysters Rockefeller
six rhode island oysters baked with pernod, spinach, bacon breadcrumbs and fresh herbs
$11.95

Matunuck Oyster Bar

Reaction Score
Holy crap - can you say overcooked shrimp?
I was thinking after you take the shrimp out you can play some hand ball with your rubber shrimp lol
Seriously id take the shells off and put them in the garlic and wine sauce let it reduce turn off the heat and toss in the shrimp for a few minutes and they should be perfect.

Reaction Score
I love raw oysters and would say this. I’ve been lucky enough to have oysters from Wellfleet MA, Chesapeake Bay MD, New Orleans and Puegot Sound in Seattle. When you eat them from different areas, you can pick up the regions differences. The Puegot Sound oysters were crisp and clean. The Wellfleet ones were very briny. Oysters taste like where they’re from.

Any from New Haven harbor? :rolleyes:

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
@jleves ..if you have an opportunity to try a good quality oyster po'boy sammich this would be a great gateway to trying raw oysters. When I tried my first raw ones I already knew I enjoyed them before.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I’m all over the map like OP

Love sea scallops.
Like lump blue crab meat or King crab legs. Wouldn’t touch soft shell.
Love shrimp if they have been cleaned fully first. Except when cold. I don’t get shrimp cocktail.
Lobster meat is ok, but I won’t eat it out of the carcass. Essentially I won’t eat anything that still has eyes or intestines, including crab.
Clam chowder is great, fried clam strips are ok. Don’t like mussels, oysters or whole belly clams.
Crawfish - same as crabs and lobster. Put the meat in gumbo and I’m game. Sucking meat out of individual crawfish, no thank you.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Chew... it releases the liquor(liquid within the oyster where most of the flavor is).

But only enough chewing to get that flavor, which is usually no more than a couple chews. After that I get kinda grossed out, which is why I won't do really big clams or other huge chewy shellfish. Just not enjoyable. But the small stuff is tasty.

People talking about scallops... best I've ever had, dockside on Digby Bay in Nova Scotia. In fact, other than the Cabot Trail, those scallops are the only reason to visit Nova Scotia.

Reaction Score
People talking about scallops... best I've ever had, dockside on Digby Bay in Nova Scotia. In fact, other than the Cabot Trail, those scallops are the only reason to visit Nova Scotia.
My favorite shellfish is lobster, king crab and scallops! I absolutely love scallops. I think the best ive ever had was at nordic lodge but mostly I just get some at stop n shop or big y and make scallop linguini at home. Would give anything to have some world class scallops. I just dont see myself going to NS no time soon lol

Reaction Score
My favorite shellfish is lobster, king crab and scallops! I absolutely love scallops. I think the best ive ever had was at nordic lodge but mostly I just get some at stop n shop or big y and make scallop linguini at home. Would give anything to have some world class scallops. I just dont see myself going to NS no time soon lol

Check Big Y. They have Bomster scallops from Stonington at points in the summer. Very very good.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Check Big Y. They have Bomster scallops from Stonington at points in the summer. Very very good.
I'm really picky about my seafood but Stop & Shop had an insane deal on Stonington scallops several weeks ago that were incredible. My wife bought a few large containers of them and froze them in several freezer sandwich bags. We're still eating them and they are still incredibly good.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
But only enough chewing to get that flavor, which is usually no more than a couple chews. After that I get kinda grossed out, which is why I won't do really big clams or other huge chewy shellfish. Just not enjoyable. But the small stuff is tasty.

We camped on Aspy Bay and the campground there also had the exclusive license to the Aspy Bay oysters, which they sold to area restaurants and also right from the campground store. I realized this while paying for our campsite and I asked the proprietor if the oysters were fresh. He pointed out the window to where he had harvested them and said "If you want 'em any fresher you'll have to eat 'em underwater." I had three dozen of them for my dinner that night, after driving 45 minutes round trip to a store where I could buy Sancerre and Guinness to accompany them. Definitely among the best I've ever had.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
kinda surprised no love here for the mighty Dungeness crab. which crab, you say?
'If your knowledge of the West Coast’s favorite crustacean is limited to the fact that they’re delicious, then this list is for you.' oh, that, crab. they're often available in the supermarket, ya know.

Reaction Score

We’ve been talking about Two Ten in South County RI found out about this while in RI last night! Yikes and I love this place.

Reaction Score
We went to the annual crab feast at the Naval Academy on friday. A cousin reserved a table for all interested family members. 3 hrs of non-stop; spiced, steamed blue shell crabs with dipping vinegars, Maryland crab soup, corn on the cob, pitchers of beer or soft drinks and watermelon to finish. Volunteers kept up with trays of six crabs per tray and rolls of paper towels. Cant think of a better family get together.

Reaction Score

If chewing a raw oyster gags you... start w/ a grilled oyster to get over the hump. Best grilled/charbroiled oysters I’ve ever had where @ Drago’s in New Orleans (can be replicated @ home).

‪Corrected link:Grilled Oysters at Drago's

I can attest to the great charbroiled oysters at Dragos. I was fortunate to be there last Labor Day and enjoyed them on multiple occasions.

Speaking of oysters, I went to the Oyster Bar at Grand Central and I have never seen such a variety of oysters. I even had some West Coast oysters which may have come out of Puget Sound. They were a U-shaped white shell that had a hint of cucumber. A unique but good taste.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I can attest to the great charbroiled oysters at Dragos. I was fortunate to be there last Labor Day and enjoyed them on multiple occasions.

Speaking of oysters, I went to the Oyster Bar at Grand Central and I have never seen such a variety of oysters. I even had some West Coast oysters which may have come out of Puget Sound. They were a U-shaped white shell that had a hint of cucumber. A unique but good taste.
Two of the best places on the planet to eat oysters; have been to each several times and consider them a must when in New Orleans and NYC.

I was a bit bummed to discover that Drago's doesn't use real butter though. I'm guessing that's because the flash point is better with whatever margarine-type oil they're using, but I make them at home with real butter and they are great.

The Oyster Bar at Grand Central consistently has the best, freshest selection of oysters of any place I've ever been, period. It took me several visits (and an expense account) to start exploring the rest of the menu, but all the seafood I've had there has been excellent, especially the Arctic Char.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
M
Love 'em.
Me too. Lemon juice, hot sauce ketchup or cocktail sauce. Down the hatch. My bother ate one that was still wiggling. Like oysters on a half shell also.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
The crab I never ate was a soft shell crab, until I went to Hilton Head Island. A place called Hudson. Ate my first one and it was great. I just ate the hold thing. They harvest their own on site.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Favorites are:
Sea scallops
Lobster
Clams
Mussels
Shrimp
Crab Cakes.

We live in a 55+ community in Poinciana, FL. Every Monday we have our "fish guy" come into the Farmer's Market. In addition to what I listed above, he sells a variety of fresh and frozen fish. So in addition to purchasing the above, I also get fresh wild salmon fillets.

Sea scallops and shrimp get cooked in a skillet with butter and lemon juice or butter and bourbon. Clams and mussels are steamed until they open up. Lobster, crab cakes and salmon I cook either in the oven or on the grill.

As for clam chowder, we make our own using my wife's grandmother's recipe. If we have chowder, we make clam cakes to dip into the chowder.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom