OT: - Shellfish | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Shellfish

Reaction Score
I love raw oysters and would say this. I’ve been lucky enough to have oysters from Wellfleet MA, Chesapeake Bay MD, New Orleans and Puegot Sound in Seattle. When you eat them from different areas, you can pick up the regions differences. The Puegot Sound oysters were crisp and clean. The Wellfleet ones were very briny. Oysters taste like where they’re from.

Matunuck Oyster Bar crisp and clean their own beds aren’t far from the deck. The best in our area...... don’t know about Pugeot Sound though.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Thinly slice up two whole bulbs of garlic (16-18 cloves) set aside, in large fry pan over med- high heat, add olive oil, dump in a 26 count bag of Xtra large shrimp still in their shells, dump in the garlic, stir for a 5 minutes, add 3 to 4 cups white wine, boil briskly for two minutes, reduce to low heat, cover and simmer for 5 to 10 minutes. Pour over your favorite pasta.
Holy crap - can you say overcooked shrimp?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
You didn't mention shrimp, which is the fruit of the sea

Royal Reds which are only found in parts of Long Island Sound and Gulf of Mexico beat everything for shrimp.

Damn near lobster texture and sweetness.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Shrimp is awesome

Three of my five least favorite kitchen prep tasks are shellfish related:
- deveining and peeling shrimp
- scrubbing mussels
- shucking clams & oysters

Yeah there are alternatives that are pre-cleaned, but with shellfish, fresh is the only way to go for most dishes.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I don't buy that people actually like raw oysters.

Love them.

It's the only seafood that's easier to prepare than a lobster roll.

Reaction Score
I don't buy that people actually like raw oysters.
Love raw oysters and clams. Although I also like cocktail sauce and horseradish, a high quality oyster stands on its own and doesn't need any condiments. Given the option of good oysters or pizza, I'm taking the mollusk 10 out of 10 times.

Reaction Score
Holy crap - can you say overcooked shrimp?
No they're not over cooked that's why I specified cooking them with the shells on. With no shells yes that would be slightly too long. The shells on adds lots of flavor. Also I thought that most people knew those 26 count large bags of Xtra large shrimp from Costco, with the shells on, usually come frozen or partially frozen. The important thing to watch in this recipe is to not burn or even brown the garlic. Try my recipe, it's a good one.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Maybe he pours them in when frozen?
Yes, that's right. Those big bags at Costco are frozen. The shells on though also means a longer cooking time. Also, remember those Xtra large shrimp with the shells on are huge, three to four inches long.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Three of my five least favorite kitchen prep tasks are shellfish related:
- deveining and peeling shrimp
- scrubbing mussels
- shucking clams & oysters

Yeah there are alternatives that are pre-cleaned, but with shellfish, fresh is the only way to go for most dishes.
Never peel or devein shrimp in a shrimp scampi with wine type dish, the shells add tons of flavor and rendered fat. I admit it's a pain to peel the shells while eating but it's well worth it.

Reaction Score
For the shrimp people, crazy thing is I hate shrimp when they cooked or warm. Only like them when cold and as "cocktail." I will say when I golf in Ocean City MD area they warm'em up with Old Bey sauce and I can handle a few of those for some reason, but mostly any other way just not for me.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I love it all. And without question location matters; once you have the best of each type of shellfish it makes it really hard to go back to anything less.

For sea scallops, Stonington or George's Bank. For bay scallops, Nantucket Bay.

For lobsters, Maine. And don't come near me with lobsters from anywhere but New England.

For crab, Maryland. Only recently been experiencing this over the past few years and cannot believe how much better it is. Royal PITA if you are cracking them yourself, but however you get it, great crab meat may be the single best item of shellfish, period.

For mussels, the best I've had have been farm raised. Not sure where, but they are clean with no grit. Grit kills it for me.

For oysters, I agree with @Deepster : they taste like where they're from. For me, the colder the water the better the oyster. The only oysters I eat raw are from the Northeast, and I prefer Nova Scotia, PEI or northern Maine. Rhode Island, MA and CT are fine if fresh. I don't like West Coast oysters and I never eat raw oysters in New Orleans (but I do eat them grilled and cooked lots of different ways).

No idea where the shrimp I love come from, but I like the big ones.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
My whole life I have never been a seafood guy. Never needed to eat fish, lobster or shellfish. Shrimp was the only go-to that was tolerable.

Three winters ago during a February trip to PTown with cousins and siblings to celbrate one of their 50th birthdays I saw them order a huge-ass platter of Wellfleet oysters and I said *&@# it I was trying them.

LOVE THOSE WELLFLEET OYSTERS!!!! Deep said they were briney. I thought they were kinda sweet. I've had them twice since. Also, at NYC's Chelsea Mrrket I have twice had oysters. They have a big selection of regional oysters. A mid-life surpise that I enjoy them a lot.

Not a mussel guy. And I like clams sometimes.

Reaction Score
For the shrimp people, crazy thing is I hate shrimp when they cooked or warm. Only like them when cold and as "cocktail." I will say when I golf in Ocean City MD area they warm'em up with Old Bey sauce and I can handle a few of those for some reason, but mostly any other way just not for me.
Try sauteing them with a ton of sliced garlic, then deglaze everything with white wine. The important thing about this recipe is to not burn or even brown the garlic, then add the wine and bubble off the alcohol for a couple minutes, then turn the heat down to low or simmer.

Last edited:

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Prefer eating HAV cooked.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
new england clams, new england scawhhlups, baked new england oysters, new england mussels, snails, and whelk, butter and garlic steeped, west coast dungeness (my favorite crab by far), alaskan king, maryland blues, southern crawdads, and gulf shrimp. clam fritters rule. never spent one single penny on a lobster for myself.
(note: old school definition of 'new england' back when long island was a part of ct.)

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
In my single days it was Heineken, oysters and watching football every Sunday in New London. Good times and still enjoy beer and oysters.
Just not New London?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom