OT: - Shellfish | The Boneyard

OT: Shellfish

Reaction Score
Since we’ve been talking about food, sometimes what grosses us out. Made me think of shellfish and how it’s funny how some people like certain shellfish and are creeped/grossed out by a favorite’s cousin. Figure summer time is the best time to be eating shellfish with some beer

Take me. Grew up in Jersey but spent the first 7 years of adulthood in New England. Obviously love lobster. But there’s something about crab, just looking at them, that grossed me out. Maybe it’s because I know some people eat the guts and all, especially with soft-shell. So then I look at a crab cake... and it does taste different though, a much more “fishy” kind of flavor that I don’t love.

Don’t love full-body clams. Grew up eating fried strips on the Seaside boardwalk.

I’ll eat mussels but the look and texture of them is weird, I have to not really think about what I’m eating when I get them in a carpaccio or paella or something.

Other than that, I think I’m good to feast on any other shellfish.

You guys?

Reaction Score
Since we’ve been talking about food, sometimes what grosses us out. Made me think of shellfish and how it’s funny how some people like certain shellfish and are creeped/grossed out by a favorite’s cousin. Figure summer time is the best time to be eating shellfish with some beer

Take me. Grew up in Jersey but spent the first 7 years of adulthood in New England. Obviously love lobster. But there’s something about crab, just looking at them, that grossed me out. Maybe it’s because I know some people eat the guts and all, especially with soft-shell. So then I look at a crab cake... and it does taste different though, a much more “fishy” kind of flavor that I don’t love.

Don’t love full-body clams. Grew up eating fried strips on the Seaside boardwalk.

I’ll eat mussels but the look and texture of them is weird, I have to not really think about what I’m eating when I get them in a carpaccio or paella or something.

You guys?
And do you know what those clam strips are?

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I don't buy that people actually like raw oysters.

Raw oysters can be excellent or leave you feeling like you shouldn't venture far from an ER. I love 'em but am very particular about where I get them (and rarely eat them in Pittsburgh since they have to be trucked in).

That said, I have a size limit. Really big oysters or clams that you've got to chew on a bit to get down... nah. They've got to slide down w/o too much effort.

Reaction Score
I don't buy that people actually like raw oysters.
Didn’t think of that

I’ll have one or two when I’m out on a date or something but otherwise there is no point in oysters. Most people have to just swallow them whole, so your experience is over in the half second it takes to swallow them.

I’ll never forget having to turn Man V Food off like halfway through some insane oyster challenge he did; heard that he hasn’t touched one since eating the 150 or whatever it was

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Walker11, I can attest that some people love raw oysters. I am one of those people. I like them with a little bit o cocktail sauce and some horseradish. I also love whole-bellied clams, mussels, cherrystones, little necks etc. I also eat crab but not one of my favorites since it seems to much work for too little meat. I prefer a lobster instead.

Reaction Score
The whole-bellies are the only thing I don’t got for. I’d probably eat some if you put a plate in front of me but I’ll never order them for myself. Texturally they are just not my bag.

Reaction Score
Love lobster, clams on the half shell, crabs. Developed an allergy and can't eat much of it anymore.

Reaction Score
For anyone in the Danbury area that loves seafood. Go try Captain Lou's Chowdah House in Bethel (next to the Dunkin Donuts and near the Big Y). Really good Lobster roll, amazing Clam Chowder. Whole belly fried clams. Scallops.

Basically you feel like you are in Rhode Island or the Cape!

Reaction Score
I love raw oysters and would say this. I’ve been lucky enough to have oysters from Wellfleet MA, Chesapeake Bay MD, New Orleans and Puegot Sound in Seattle. When you eat them from different areas, you can pick up the regions differences. The Puegot Sound oysters were crisp and clean. The Wellfleet ones were very briny. Oysters taste like where they’re from.

Reaction Score
I eat it all happily. Grew up in in Stony Creek and we caught and ate everything out there. The only thing that slowed me down was like Sea Urchin sushi. It was still moving.

Reaction Score

You guys?
I remember in my very early days back in the late 50's and early 60's going to Southport Harbor in Fairfield with my grand dad to watch some old timers catch blue crabs at Tide Mill with nothing but a rope and some week old meat trimmings from the Butcher shop down the street. After about 65 the harbor became polluted from Exide Battery. Before Exide ruined the resource there were lobsters in the harbor, and porpoises used to swim right up the brackish areas of Mill river.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I love it all from the sea including everything raw. Enjoy it while you can. Our next generations may only have farm raised seafood with super expensive wild options. Enjoying a nice grilled Sockeye fillet tonight. Cheers BY.

Reaction Score
In my single days it was Heineken, oysters and watching football every Sunday in New London. Good times and still enjoy beer and oysters.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score

You guys?

You didn't mention shrimp, which is the fruit of the sea

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Walker11, I can attest that some people love raw oysters. I am one of those people. I like them with a little bit o cocktail sauce and some horseradish. I also love whole-bellied clams, mussels, cherrystones, little necks etc. I also eat crab but not one of my favorites since it seems to much work for too little meat. I prefer a lobster instead.

This is like looking in a mirror

Reaction Score
I’ve lived in New England for 65 of my years and love all sea food. That being said, raw oysters are low on my list. Now grilled oysters in my opinion are spectacular. Had them in New Orleans, wow!

Reaction Score

So you like cocktail sauce and horseradish.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I can do anything but crab legs- the big ones like Alaskan and King. I eat those and I wake up with what feels like a massive head cold.

Otherwise, game on shellfish.

Reaction Score
You didn't mention shrimp, which is the fruit of the sea
Well that’s a given

I was just talking about what I don’t like, with the assumption I like everything else

Shrimp is awesome

The one huge nutritional downside to shellfish is cholesterol thougj

Reaction Score
Well that’s a given

I was just talking about what I don’t like, with the assumption I like everything else

Shrimp is awesome

The one huge nutritional downside to shellfish is cholesterol thougj
Thinly slice up two whole bulbs of garlic (16-18 cloves) set aside, in large fry pan over med- high heat, add olive oil, dump in a 26 count bag of Xtra large shrimp still in their shells, dump in the garlic, stir for a 5 minutes, add 3 to 4 cups white wine, boil briskly for two minutes (this reduces the wine and boils off the alcohol), reduce to low heat, cover and simmer for 5 to 10 minutes. Pour over your favorite pasta.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom