SF/PF Wenyen Gabriel (Kentucky Commit) | Page 26 | The Boneyard

SF/PF Wenyen Gabriel (Kentucky Commit)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I trust the insiders on this site but this kid is not NEXT. Matter of fact, if I had to make a guess, I'd say he's most interested in us, Maryland, and Duke. I still think Duke has a slight edge but KO and the rest of the staff still have a very good chance at him.

Reaction Score
Looks like Zags needs to update his blog...

"Gabriel next visits Kentucky Sept. 25-27 and has a visit scheduled for Duke Oct. 16.-18 He’s also considering UConn and Providence. "

http://zagsblog.com/recruiting/wenyen-gabriel-enjoys-maryland-next-slated-visit-is-kentucky/

I can deal with that. We get the 2nd to last official visit. Duke already has Tatum at SF and is the clear favorite for Giles. I don't get the feeling UK is in his top 3 from everything I've read. Definitely think it'll be between us and the Derps.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
I trust the insiders on this site but this kid is not NEXT. Matter of fact, if I had to make a guess, I'd say he's most interested in us, Maryland, and Duke. I still think Duke has a slight edge but KO and the rest of the staff still have a very good chance at him.

Take everything they say with a grain of salt. Most of the time their information is good, but recruiting is so fluid that anything can change in a split second.

Reaction Score
Javin DeLaurier got an in-home from Duke today. He's a 6-foot-9, 220-lb, shot-blocking stretch 4 who rocketed up the charts this summer.

If he's offered and commits, this should help us with Gabriel.

Yankees32123

'99, '04, '11, '14, '23
Reaction Score
I can deal with that. We get the 2nd to last official visit. Duke already has Tatum at SF and is the clear favorite for Giles. I don't get the feeling UK is in his top 3 from everything I've read. Definitely think it'll be between us and the Derps.
Let's hope Kegler chooses the Terps, which can only help our chances. A front court of Enoch, Durham, Facey, Gabriel, Diarra, and possibly Brimah would be VERY crowded though.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
Take everything they say with a grain of salt. Most of the time their information is good, but recruiting is so fluid that anything can change in a split second.
Yeah even if their information is good it can still be wrong.

Given that coaching staff's occasionally think they have a kid locked up only to end up losing them, it's hard to expect perfection from sources. That's recruiting.

Reaction Score
Let's hope Kegler chooses the Terps, which can only help our chances. A front court of Enoch, Durham, Facey, Gabriel, Diarra, and possibly Brimah would be VERY crowded though.

I don't think Kegler going to MD affects things any more than UConn already getting Larrier and Durham for '16.

Reaction Score
For the people who think Durham's commitment killed our chances, according to Paxton our depth at forward is not an issue to Wenyen.

Despite having multiple forwards already committed, Gabriel's interest in UConn remains strong. His AAU teammate from MassRivals, guard Jalen Adams, is a freshman with the Huskies this season.

"No, it doesn't matter to Wenyen," said AAU coach Vinny Pastore about the collection of young forwards Kevin Ollie has already added to the program.

Reaction Score
Holy crap I may be thinking too optimistic but imagine a front court of Diarra, Enoch, Durham, Gabriel, and Brown. Wow. That would be the best front court in UConn history.

Reaction Score

Well this makes no sense because Zionn's already said "NEXT"... (Insert sarcasm)

As I said before I believe we have a good chance to land Gabriel. Zionn probably thought that with Juwan Durham's impending commitment we were out for Gabriel... I think Durham's commitment helps us. Gabriel has said all along he wants to play the 3 at college, and UCONN was one of the schools that told him we are recruiting him as a 3. By having Durham and Larrier in the fold it backs up UCONN's talk when it comes to recruiting Gabriel as a SF.

I would really like to hear what made Zionn feel so strongly about calling "Next" on Gabriel. Gabriel has consistently said he was interested in UCONN and has a great relationship and feels very comfortable with Ollie and coaching staff. He has visited the campus on several occasions including first night. Jalen Adams was his high school teammate. Oz has maintained we have a good shot to land him. Gabriel from the very beginning stated he was working on setting up an Official Visit with UCONN when he announced his OV's for Duke, UK, and Maryland.

You don't need to give any names or anything like that, but was someone from the coaching staff telling you we were out with Gabriel? If so why would OZ hear we still had a good chance to land Gabriel?. The news of Gabriel's OV to UCONN further shows Chief is not alone in his weird fascination to come off as an insider.

Don't mean to be harsh but by pretending to be an insider you take away from actually insiders like CallMeBruce and Oz...

Reaction Score
Well this makes no sense because Zionn's already said "NEXT"... (Insert sarcasm)

As I said before I believe we have a good chance to land Gabriel. Zionn probably thought that with Juwan Durham's impending commitment we were out for Gabriel... I think Durham's commitment helps us. Gabriel has said all along he wants to play the 3 at college, and UCONN was one of the schools that told him we are recruiting him as a 3. By having Durham and Larrier in the fold it backs up UCONN's talk when it comes to recruiting Gabriel as a SF.

I would really like to hear what made Zionn feel so strongly about calling "Next" on Gabriel. Gabriel has consistently said he was interested in UCONN and has a great relationship and feels very comfortable with Ollie and coaching staff. He has visited the campus on several occasions including first night. Jalen Adams was his high school teammate. Oz has maintained we have a good shot to land him. Gabriel from the very beginning stated he was working on setting up an Official Visit with UCONN when he announced his OV's for Duke, UK, and Maryland.

You don't need to give any names or anything like that, but was someone from the coaching staff telling you we were out with Gabriel? If so why would OZ hear we still had a good chance to land Gabriel?. The news of Gabriel's OV to UCONN further shows Chief is not alone in his weird fascination to come off as an insider.

Don't mean to be harsh but by pretending to be an insider you take away from actually insiders like CallMeBruce and Oz...
Chill. He isn't pretending to be anything. He gives us reliable information just like the other insiders on this board and like others have said, you need to take recruiting news with a grain of salt. Keep the inside info coming, Zionn.

Reaction Score

I think we all know who the real insiders are.

Reaction Score
Thanks Jluc.

It's all good afg. Think what you want. Beauty of a message board. That said - if you think because an OV date was announced we are in the driver's seat ...... Good for you. I suppose Miami felt the same thing with Durham. Speaking of which, Durham did not factor into my post in WG at all (for what that is worth). I've repeatedly have chimed in on previous posts about never deeming myself an 'insider'. Recruiting is fluid and things change. Weather or not you want to think I have a tie back to program is your prerogative. I simply pass along what I hear and outside of the rumor about a possible transfer last off season, where have I missed the mark exactly? I suppose the rest of the yard insiders are enjoying that Z. Brown announcement from last weekend. Oh
Wait......

Yeah - recruitment and high schoolers. Fun stuff.

Reaction Score
Thanks Jluc.

It's all good afg. Think what you want. Beauty of a message board. That said - if you think because an OV date was announced we are in the driver's seat . Good for you. I suppose Miami felt the same thing with Durham. Speaking of which, Durham did not factor into my post in WG at all (for what that is worth). I've repeatedly have chimed in on previous posts about never deeming myself an 'insider'. Recruiting is fluid and things change. Weather or not you want to think I have a tie back to program is your prerogative. I simply pass along what I hear and outside of the rumor about a possible transfer last off season, where have I missed the mark exactly? I suppose the rest of the yard insiders are enjoying that Z. Brown announcement from last weekend. Oh
Wait.

Thanks Zionn, you don't have to respond. Most of us know the deal!

Reaction Score
Thanks Jluc.

It's all good afg. Think what you want. Beauty of a message board. That said - if you think because an OV date was announced we are in the driver's seat . Good for you. I suppose Miami felt the same thing with Durham. Speaking of which, Durham did not factor into my post in WG at all (for what that is worth). I've repeatedly have chimed in on previous posts about never deeming myself an 'insider'. Recruiting is fluid and things change. Weather or not you want to think I have a tie back to program is your prerogative. I simply pass along what I hear and outside of the rumor about a possible transfer last off season, where have I missed the mark exactly? I suppose the rest of the yard insiders are enjoying that Z. Brown announcement from last weekend. Oh
Wait.

UConn and Gabriel had been trending away from the other lately and UConn has just landed a five-star stretch four.

I'd say the handwriting is on the wall here.

With Larrier, Durham and Diarra, I think we have the position covered top and bottom - time for a couple of scoring guards next.

Fishy, Sep 1, 2015 Report
Fishy is spot on.

Zionn, Sep 2, 2015 Report
#538 Like Reply
mauconnfan likes this.

Reaction Score
So just to be clear, people are trying to discredit Zionn for saying "Next" about a kid who....we probably aren't going to get? There's been no indication anywhere that we are any better than third place here.

Reaction Score
wow - a regular cyber sleuth you are John. We want to get into semantics now?

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
FWIW, our insider types here tend to either a) have a connection with the program, someone on staff or someone who works in basketball operations or b) contacts in the recruiting scene, journalists at TOS/Scout et. al. Whereas this guy coming after Zionn is just going off of his own personal conjecture as if it supersedes any of that information. Granted personal conjecture is most of what discussion of recruiting boils down to anyway, but still...

Reaction Score
So just to be clear, people are trying to discredit Zionn for saying "Next" about a kid who....we probably aren't going to get? There's been no indication anywhere that we are any better than third place here.
I just don't remember him scooping anything around here, I could be wrong just going off of memory. The recruiting info he provides is nice but you have to be right every once in a while. There are a couple of guys who have been spot on with recruiting calls and others not so much. Do people remember when supposed insiders were heavily hinting on at least one of Brimah/Hamilton leaving and possibly both? I think most think Duke and Maryland lead but it's clear Ollie hasn't moved on and neither has Wenyen and it also seems clear that Durham's commitment has no bearing on Wenyen's decision process.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I for one would rather have inconsistent information than no information, and that is what you will get from any insider.

The reality is, even if you had completely accurate inside information, it's always going to be one step behind actuality, because kids in general are bipolar. There's no real time perfection here.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I just don't remember him scooping anything around here, I could be wrong just going off of memory. The recruiting info he provides is nice but you have to be right every once in a while. There are a couple of guys who have been spot on with recruiting calls and others not so much. Do people remember when supposed insiders were heavily hinting on at least one of Brimah/Hamilton leaving and possibly both? I think most think Duke and Maryland lead but it's clear Ollie hasn't moved on and neither has Wenyen and it also seems clear that Durham's commitment has no bearing on Wenyen's decision process.

Thing is, they could have been. And someone or something convinced them otherwise. Same with Boat almost leaving.

Also, I don't think anyone actually said anything about Hamilton specifically. People just guessed that and went with it.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
As an aside, it's pretty funny how most of our longest recruiting threads are technically about kids who aren't even coming. They just turn into general recruiting discussions and pizza threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom