SF/PF Wenyen Gabriel (Kentucky Commit) | Page 28 | The Boneyard

SF/PF Wenyen Gabriel (Kentucky Commit)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
He probably made a bad post but is it really necessary for 10 posters to pile it on the kid? Give me a break. Back to Gabriel. I'm predicting an October 2nd crystal ball pick from Jerry Meyer :)

Reaction Score
We come here for rumors and speculation, why slam Zionn for his speculative rumor-mongering?

Recruiting is not a science. We are following the tea leafs of 17 year kids. There are so many variables that impact recruiting . People need to get their heads out of their asssssses

Reaction Score
He probably made a bad post but is it really necessary for 10 posters to pile it on the kid? Give me a break. Back to Gabriel. I'm predicting an October 2nd crystal ball pick from Jerry Meyer :)
I hope my post wasn't perceived as piling on. That was not my intention. I just wanted to show Zionn some love and offer my opinion.

Reaction Score
Thanks Jluc.

It's all good afg. Think what you want. Beauty of a message board. That said - if you think because an OV date was announced we are in the driver's seat . Good for you. I suppose Miami felt the same thing with Durham. Speaking of which, Durham did not factor into my post in WG at all (for what that is worth). I've repeatedly have chimed in on previous posts about never deeming myself an 'insider'. Recruiting is fluid and things change. Weather or not you want to think I have a tie back to program is your prerogative. I simply pass along what I hear and outside of the rumor about a possible transfer last off season, where have I missed the mark exactly? I suppose the rest of the yard insiders are enjoying that Z. Brown announcement from last weekend. Oh
Wait.

Yeah - recruitment and high schoolers. Fun stuff.

Bruh.

Reaction Score
If Gabriel commit to UConn, he'll be the first Zionn "Next" to ever commit. He's been correct about every one. It's great that we're getting a visit, but I still don't think we'll end up with him. If we do, I'll be pleasantly surprised and certainly won't blame Zionn for making me think we didn't have a shot at him.

I may be in the minority here, but I don't really want Gabriel as a 3 though. From what I saw of him, he ain't a college 3. Maybe he's looking to develop those skills for the NBA, which I get, but from a selfish standpoint I'd much rather see him play the 4. Us forcing kids into positions they're not hasn't worked out very well in the past (K-Free, Oriakhi).

Certainly wouldn't turn down Wenyen, but give me Hamidou (if he re-classifies) and one of Powell or Jackson and I'm thrilled. Grab a center in 2017.

Reaction Score
If Gabriel commit to UConn, he'll be the first Zionn "Next" to ever commit. He's been correct about every one.

Exactly. Even though Zionn's tips are usually about bad news, they're also usually correct. This "backlash" is no different than UConn fans bashing the media guys who make negative predictions about us but loving the guys who always pick us to be in top 15.

There are plenty of people here who continued to drool over the Diamond Stone and Tevin Mack recruitments long after Zionn made his prediction. Those people would have saved a lot of time by just listening to him.

And just as an overarching theme, there are like five people on this board who either have the contacts or follow recruiting closely enough to provide the type of information that we all come here to get. So to criticize one of those people, especially for no good reason, is counterintuitive.

Reaction Score
The attack was totally unnecessary. But I'm not sure what the arguing is really about. If by "next" Zion meant that he knew that Gabriel wasn't coming here, then it is what it is. If he had a source he believed in, and the source was wrong, or the facts changed, that's life.

I would ask, however, that "next," which is cursory and negative, be reserved for instances where someone heard from a source that they believe that the person is not coming here. "Next" should not be used just where someone's gut is that he's not coming but the poster doesn't actually know.

I hope that's helpful, and I'm not saying that is what Zion did here.

Reactions: pj

Curiouser
Reaction Score
The attack was totally unnecessary. But I'm not sure what the arguing is really about.
The arguing is about needing something to argue about. Kind of like the Monty Python skit.

When recruiting is not going well, we argue about recruiting.

When recruiting is going well, we argue about the legitimacy of those providing recruiting insight.

When we start playing basketball, we argue about whether we are playing well or whether we suck; or whether we are doomed in any event because of our suckass conference situation.

If all else fails, we argue about pizza.

Reaction Score
8893 said:
The arguing is about needing something to argue about. Kind of like the Monty Python skit. When recruiting is not going well, we argue about recruiting. When recruiting is going well, we argue about the legitimacy of those providing recruiting insight. When we start playing basketball, we argue about whether we are playing well or whether we suck; or whether we are doomed in any event because of our suckass conference situation. If all else fails, we argue about pizza.

This is abuse. You want room 12A.

Reaction Score
As Zionn stated, he's not an insider. I wasn't trying to bash him or call him a liar, I just prefer to listen to the scoops from the couple of people who are insiders.

Reaction Score
As Zionn stated, he's not an insider. I wasn't trying to bash him or call him a liar, I just prefer to listen to the scoops from the couple of people who are insiders.

I think you misunderstood his post. When he 'Next's a recruit, it's not his best guess; it's based on actual information he's received. Any list of posters on this board with more recruiting insight than Zionn is going to be very, very short.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I think you misunderstood his post. When he 'Next's a recruit, it's not his best guess; it's based on actual information he's received. Any list of posters on this board with more recruiting insight than Zionn is going to be very, very short.
Iron. Lion. Zionn.

Reaction Score

Channeling my inner fleud, I'm pretty sure that was sneaky passive aggression.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score

From now on, I want only 100% accurate predictions and opinions. Not inside information... not crystal balls...just because a kid changes their mind at the last second, doesn't mean you can get it wrong on the boneyard. Anticipate those changes and build them into your predictions.

Is that too much to ask?

Reaction Score
From now on, I want only 100% accurate predictions and opinions. Not inside information... not crystal balls...just because a kid changes their mind at the last second, doesn't mean you can get it wrong on the boneyard. Anticipate those changes and build them into your predictions.

Is that too much to ask?

Is this because you've been made a fool on the Syracuse board one too many times?

Reaction Score
Channeling my inner fleud, I'm pretty sure that was sneaky passive aggression.

I know you're joking, but I want to be clear to the folks whose critical thinking isn't up to snuff that it wasn't. In my time here, I've gotten two things right, and one thing half-right. People just remember more because they were good things.

Reaction Score
Wow
You get the balloon knots award last night. Z is correct 90% of the time and in the recruiting world that is all star quality. This is such a foolish post. You have zero recruiting comprehension.
I hope you slept it off

This sounds like nonsense to me. Saying "next" is like betting that anyone but Kentucky will win the tournament. You're not exactly going out on a limb so being "correct 90% of the time" that a kid goes elsewhere doesn't mean much. And then when a "next" turns out to be wrong, it's "ehh, recruiting is fluid, you don't get it."

I don't follow recruiting that much anymore, but it seems to me that CallMeBruce or whoever called the Gibbs commitment or that guy Ozzie on the other board are supplying much more valuable information than just betting the field every time. I mean, that's cool too but it doesn't exactly make you "all star quality," to use your phrase.

Reaction Score
This sounds like nonsense to me. Saying "next" is like betting that anyone but Kentucky will win the tournament. You're not exactly going out on a limb so being "correct 90% of the time" that a kid goes elsewhere doesn't mean much. And then when a "next" turns out to be wrong, it's "ehh, recruiting is fluid, you don't get it."

I don't follow recruiting that much anymore, but it seems to me that CallMeBruce or whoever called the Gibbs commitment or that guy Ozzie on the other board are supplying much more valuable information than just betting the field every time. I mean, that's cool too but it doesn't exactly make you "all star quality," to use your phrase.

Except a Zionn "Next" has yet to be wrong once.

Reaction Score
I know you're joking, but I want to be clear to the folks whose critical thinking isn't up to snuff that it wasn't. In my time here, I've gotten two things right, and one thing half-right. People just remember more because they were good things.

Yea, I meant John not you. I wasn't too clear.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Out of curiosity, I wonder what the overlap is like between posters who are mad at insider types for breaking negative news and posters who think that recruits who don't choose UConn got paid to go elsewhere.

Reaction Score
We offer about 30 players, it's pretty damn easy to "Next" for the majority of them. He Nexted Stone and Mack which anyone who follows recruiting even a little knew they weren't coming here. He didn't think Durham was coming here which also went along with the majority of people. He was wrong about transfer speculation after last season, I'm guessing he just got bad info but some here consider him an insider so they were whipped up into a frenzy. I tend to go with the guys who have nailed it on some players committing that most of us don't know about, Oz has gotten several of these and Bruce was all over Gibbs and possibly another. I don't remember any of these for Zionn. I'm sure he is getting his Next info from somewhere, it just seems rather easy to call Next with most recruits since we offer so many scholarships in each class. In fairness to him, Zionn has consistently said he's not an insider, it's just that many other posters on the board seem to call him one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom