SF/PF Wenyen Gabriel (Kentucky Commit) | Page 27 | The Boneyard

SF/PF Wenyen Gabriel (Kentucky Commit)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I just don't remember him scooping anything around here, I could be wrong just going off of memory. The recruiting info he provides is nice but you have to be right every once in a while. There are a couple of guys who have been spot on with recruiting calls and others not so much. Do people remember when supposed insiders were heavily hinting on at least one of Brimah/Hamilton leaving and possibly both? I think most think Duke and Maryland lead but it's clear Ollie hasn't moved on and neither has Wenyen and it also seems clear that Durham's commitment has no bearing on Wenyen's decision process.

Just because his info is usually negative doesn't mean he isn't usually right.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
The problem with the whole potential transfer debacle was that people took his word as the absolute truth and started flipping out as if they had already left. That falls on an overly-emotional audience.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
It's because he's not an insider. He's just good at guessing, now that he's guessed wrong, he's back tracking. The only real insider is OZ, since it seems like he knows KO.

Reaction Score
Back tracking? On what exactly? Did the WG recruitment end?

Reaction Score
The reality is, even if you had completely accurate inside information, it's always going to be one step behind actuality, because kids in general are bipolar. There's no real time perfection here.
So called insider info is at best half the info. It's either from the recruit's side, or the program side. If it's from one of the recruiting sites gurus, then I don't know if you can really consider that insider information. Just look at the crystal ball votes to get an idea how much many of these guys are grasping at straws. I'm not saying that any of this so-called insider information isn't accurate, it's just not the entire story, and as someone pointed out already is sometimes old news and things have changed since.

I used to have one of the assistant coaches as my inside source back in the day. He would often give us the latest inside scoop on some of the recruits, with the understanding that I could never use his name as the source. I can't tell you how many times the outcome is very different than what he thought it was at that time. One example is when we were recruiting Russell Robinson, a good friend of AJ Price. He said he was all but locked up after his official visit, and was just checking out Kansas just to have something to compare UConn to. After his Kansas visit, he returned a Jayhawk. You just never know how things might pan out. He realized that he wanted to play point guard and his good buddy AJ Price would be standing in his point guard way for 4 years if he attended UConn. I can't remember who was the coach of Kansas at the time, but he promised that he would play Robinson at the one, and never did. He was a two guard his entire career there, which never prepared him for the NBA. Not that he was an NBA level prospect. Bottom line, you just don't know how it's going to turn out.

I feel that Gabriel's situation is very fluid. The program or programs he might like the most, might cboose a recruit they prefer over him. Or maybe he likes UConn the most and wants to play close to home. My gut tells me that this one is far from over and that we still have a very good shot at landing him. I think the relationship he has with KO and the staff is strong. Now none of this is insider information so you can take it with a grain of salt. I would not be shocked if he lands at UConn or elsewhere to that matter.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Wow! I'm surprised by the resentment here. I think Zionn is a great source and otherwise a fine poster. If you don't like him, ignore him.
But let's not make people feel: "why bother putting out info if I only get jumped on"
Sorry Zionn.

Reaction Score
Javin DeLaurier got an in-home from Duke today. He's a 6-foot-9, 220-lb, shot-blocking stretch 4 who rocketed up the charts this summer.

If he's offered and commits, this should help us with Gabriel.

Reaction Score
All good David. I'm a fan like all of us here on the Yard. And have been an active member of the Yard for a very long time. I'll pass along info from time to time, and folks can read into at they wish. But anyone that thinks I fake (and or guess) to establish myself as an insider is just wrong. I got plenty outside of UConn in my life to feel loved. Not looking to make myself something more than I am (a fan) in order for my fellow Yarders to give me sense of belonging. ; )

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
So are you saying your connection on the staff lied to you? This whole time you were the only person saying we were out of it. And even if he did change his mind, why not let us know ahead of time? The "recruiting is fluid" bs is a easy way to cover it up. So tell us, what are our odds now?

Reaction Score
So are you saying your connection on the staff lied to you? This whole time you were the only person saying we were out of it. And even if he did change his mind, why not let us know ahead of time? The "recruiting is fluid" bs is a easy way to cover it up. So tell us, what are our odds now?
Dude, stop.

Reaction Score

We shouldn't freak out when someone is wrong on a recruit (Which Zionn isn't even wrong yet).

Shut up already.

Reaction Score

Oh my goodness man. Has Wenyen Gabriel committed to UConn? No? Then why are you acting like Zionn has been proven wrong?

Guess what? Recruiting is fluid. Which means Gabriel could commit to Maryland tomorrow and never even make the UConn visit.

Reaction Score
This is good news for us, especially if they get Giles as well.
Jerry Meyer seems to think Duke and Wenyen ain't happening, not sure his opinion matters though.

Reaction Score
There's some really stupid s*@t that people want to argue about on here and some really stupid f*@king people who want to do the arguing.

Before anyone asks, no I'm not new here.

Reaction Score
I greatly appreciate Zionn's contributions to the Yard and anyone else who occasionally "hears things" about a recruiting lean one way or the other. If his source was Kevin Ollie the information could still be wrong because kids change their minds. Kids commit and de-commit. Everybody thinks they are going one way and they take a visit and end up somewhere else. It is entirely possible Wenyen chooses a school that nobody even thought was in contention for him. He could commit to Maryland tomorrow, de-commit in December, and end up at UNLV for all we know. If it wasn't for people's information about a "lean" one way or the other, what would we have to talk and debate about? Other than pizza of course.

Reaction Score
I didn't understand zymurg's post until I read the last page of this thread.

C

Chief00

Quite frankly, during the Calhoun era I can think of only 4 or 5 people who were truly inner circle - with Ollie I am not sure who that would be - probably a whole different cast of characters. I have no idea if any of these people ever posted here.

I have not seen anyone here call themself an "insider" only people who characterize others that way or argue against others being "insiders" even though the people haven't self characterized themselves as such. The wonders of a message board.

In my opinion, there is a secondary group of people who know coaches or players, talk to or play with them - maybe play an occasional game of golf with them, or go to various donor events or work at UConn etc and have some network as a result. Some of these people may post here.

Reaction Score
When the staff starts recruiting me as a 5* prospect I promise to post here in real time as a primary source.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
So much passive-aggression....

If you want the sun to shine every day for you here at the Boneyard, use the ignore button. And then stop whining.

Reaction Score

Wow
You get the balloon knots award last night. Z is correct 90% of the time and in the recruiting world that is all star quality. This is such a foolish post. You have zero recruiting comprehension.
I hope you slept it off

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds