Seton Hall Post Game Thread | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Seton Hall Post Game Thread

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
An unbelievably bad beat if you had UConn -5.5 (also the under hit by a point)… The odds of an 89/89/65 percent yes event not happening all 3 times plus a very deep SHU 3 and a Rhoden behind the back dribble step back 2 from practically the 3 point line in the dying seconds - being generous and calling those 30 percent yes events happening both times… all those happening together to not cover by a half point in the final minute…
I screamed at the TV for all kinds of other reasons during the first half when players would adjust their bodies & shot selection away from going hard to/at the rim, and taking unnecessary late game shots or committing needless fouls, but wow, for anyone whose bets blew up from what you've correctly noted, OMFG.
VERY grateful that I don't bet.

Reaction Score
Not just you. Cole is somewhat hit or miss. He's either ice cold killer or brick city.

Oddly enough, Polley gives me more calm than any other Husky in last two minutes.
It was good not having any players being in foul trouble which probably helped Hurley optimally substitute in and out during this game. Did any others have this impression about the substitutions? Hurley rightly (with his potential) gave Hawkins PT in the first half and Hawkins contributed with a 3, some rebounds and improved defense. His confidence appears to be recovering after some difficult first season games. Being at the game, I was more clearly able to see in the final minutes of the second half that Hurley regularly switched playing Hawkins and Jackson, getting Hawkins in on offense and bringing Jackson back in on defense. Tactically, having Hawkins in on offense may have helped free up space for Sanogo, and Martin picked up the ballhandling and driving (with finishes or getting fouled) to cover for Jackson's absence. After Polley and Gaffney were substituted in, when they didn't make a significant impact (Polley not hitting 3s and Gaffney not driving nor getting assists), they were taken out relatively quickly. But with Polley as a more steady foul shooter, Hurley did have him in at the end of the game and Tyler sank both of his foul attempts as time was winding down. Maybe things were just going well, but there seemed to be a better balanced line-up on the floor throughout the game tonight.

But like others have posted, I'm uneasy about Cole's, Martin's and Sanogo's history of missing an occasional foul shot at the ends of games.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
View attachment 73383 Can someone explain who these people are? There were reality tv cameras shooting them and standing on my feet during stoppages , someone said tik tok something so I took and sent picture to my daughter and she freaked out. Why?

The guy was rooting like hell though. Liked it.

'Is that dogs eyes messed up?

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I don't know if I should be happy I missed most of it or not. We had a major internet outage here in my town from 9am-4am, so no cable or internet. I live in a valley and could only manage one bar for CBS Sports app, which tossed me off a dozen times and half the time I was on it was buffering. I think I managed 10 minutes of game and 8 of ads.

I'm now on the side that a full-scale cyberattack would be worse than nuclear annihilation because you don't want to live with the former, so might as well just end it.

Reaction Score
A win is a win, no? Are you a closet fan of a different team? God, this place is insufferable. Turn in your UConn gear please.

Am I a closet fan? Lol are you a dope? Never mind I know.

I only speak of the missed FTs and the fact it should’ve easily been a 10 point win but by all means take the comment like the tool you are. I’m more of a fan than you’ll ever be I promise you just by this ridiculous reply it shows your ignorance.

Reaction Score
Tbf it was a 10 point game with 1 minute left. If we just make our FT’s at the end of the game we win by double digits
That’s all I’m saying a good win no doubt no matter. Happy to be heading to Xavier with this and the Johnnies in our pockets. Need to get the next one would be nice to have 3 in a row heading to the Nova game. Would add to the excitement for sure.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Hurley had some good adjustments (moving Whaley to the high post against the 2-3, the backdoor cuts against the aggressive man defense) that he doesn't usually make. Nice work. Good game by the Huskies.

Forgot to mention going under the screens above the 3 point line. That was a good adjustment by Hurley. The hard hedge is unnecessary and often creates an open player. Let the other team shoot long pull-ups off ball screens. Those are low percentage shots.

Reaction Score
Can Gaffney give us anything off the bench? I mean we know he can't really run and offense or score but now he is getting abused on D. At least cole plays sold D most times against big defenders. Great game from Cole, Martin and Sanogo of course.
As soon as Gaffney went in they went to Richmond to attack the rim twice. RJ went back in and took that away. RJ and AJ both had terrific defensive games.

Reaction Score
This game was perhaps the most balanced for us this year. No early foul trouble allowed coach to rest his key players in both halfs. Sanogo was in command early and got SH in first half foul problems. This was an excellent game plan with but a few early flaws by missing bunnies again. Loved the effort with put backs, even those missed. SH has beaten some good teams and plays hard. Seemed like our determined second shot efforts caught them off guard. Cole's defensive effort on Richmond was impressive with what size he gives up. The break-a-way Sanogo dunk, led by the homerun pass of Jackson, was an unexpected bonus.

I saw real growth in many areas. The intensity, even from a mid-week crowd, matched the Dunkin. Our Huskie women's team was in full voice and support. What's not to like???? Seemed like a top ten NCAA team!

Reaction Score
As soon as Gaffney went in they went to Richmond to attack the rim twice. RJ went back in and took that away. RJ and AJ both had terrific defensive games.

Yep I’ve been on AJ admittedly for his lack of staying home on his guy. Well last night he was really good, made everyone he was guarding work their every dribble. He can be a special defensive player. Also RJ despite his lack of size worked his guy, including Richmond really hard. They did a nice job of running a double at him making him find open players. They were successful a couple times but he also struggled with the double teams as well. As I said overall one of their best team defensive efforts all year. Rhoden hardly got any easy looks.

Reaction Score
But truthfully this game had no right being in the “games decided by less than 5 points” category. Should have easily been a double figure win.
I don't think we are that explosive. We don't have that player who can off for 10 straight points, hit the daggers or put our opponents in fear. We don't have that killer instinct yet, consequently allowing opponents to remain in striking distance.

We have so many high-flyers but don't dunk or hit alley oops. We are a trudging, grinding and often boring team who's identity is defense and rebounding.

Until Hawk gets going, Martin puts two halves together or AJ can learn to dominate, we are who we are. Be worse if we weren't winning. If you love defense, scrappiness and hard work this is your team. The good news is that we are starting to win close games, which come March will certainly be a benefit.

Reaction Score
Maybe CBS sports did a bad job showing how great the crowd (specifically student section) was but for a sold out crowd I was a little underwhelmed. Too many instances all I saw was the student section standing still barely making noise except for scoring plays and the only chant I heard was let’s go huskies. They were good but no where near what the student section used to be and unfortunately no where near some of the other schools we’ve seen this year. The excuse about not having anything to cheer for also doesn’t count this game but for a packed student section I was underwhelmed. The team pulled out the win and crowd was good but no where near where it should be for a sold out gampel. Just my opinion and not calling shots at anyone or group of people. I understand it’s different since I’ve been on campus between 09-12. Good win overall and let’s see the team win another one on Saturday at home!
Anyone who is saying the crowd was weak wasn’t there, or just a troll. It was super loud! Highly enjoyable, fun time! Great game.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Simon

Top Bottom