Seton Hall Post Game Thread | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Seton Hall Post Game Thread

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
The official scorer only gave AG 1 block but she had 2 for sure and maybe 3 during the game.
Sometimes it looks like a block when Aubrey springs up like Inspector Gadget to intercept or deflect a pass that’s over her head. She has incredible timing when she snatches overhead passes out of midair.

Reaction Score
Megan is great... but she still forces some shots that make me cringe... CW goes long periods without being aggressive at all, and she is so much better when she is aggressive... so happy to see Molly finally take some shots.. props to her... Anna continues to improve her shooting, and the rest of her game is solid. Ono still needs to learn how not to foul, but her turn around jumper was great tonight. Kyla steady, and I guess that's the most we can really ask for her. And finally, great to see a break out game by Aubrey... so much athleticism... she just needs to let it go. And as I've patted myself on the back in another post, I was the first to bring her to the boneyard's attention, with an article about her interest in UConn way before she committed. Make me proud, Aubrey!!! :)
Hard for CW to be aggressive when she has 3 early fouls. That said, I agree with you that she tends to disappear when she isn't full steam ahead.

Reaction Score
Well, I don’t see any improvement in her game whatsoever, compared to last year. That is a really bad omen, particularly since she spent her summer playing USA basketball. Tonight was a game where she needed to step up, with the point guard out and the post in early foul trouble. Instead, she committed three offensive fouls in about two minutes. When UConn put the game away in the fourth, she hardly contributed. That doesn’t sound like the number one recruit to me. I hope I am way off base, but the usual sophomore leap is not happening so far IMO.

sounds similar to what people said about MW last year ‍♀️‍

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
CW got tentative tonight after the 3rd foul. She didn't look to drive or attack after that. She needs to find a balance--and to avoid getting in foul trouble in the first place.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
i don’t see any postgame interviews but here are the highlights —

Some quotes in Alexa's article

“[Thursday’s game] gives me a lot of confidence, just that I know that I have an impact on the game, just coming in, getting rebounds, offensive boards, driving to the basket," Griffin said.

so Geno is giving her the Freshman treatment using "kid" Apparently she will need to do more to be called Aubrey :):)

“You’re going to see this a lot in her career, and you’re going to see it often," Auriemma added. "I don’t know if she’s ready to do it right now, but you’re going to see this a lot. That kid’s capable of doing things that very few kids can. She has a knack for the ball. The kid’s unique, man. She’s something else.”

and some Molly love

“Nobody deserves it more, to be able to play meaningful minutes in a meaningful game, as a senior at UConn,” Auriemma said. “It means more to her and Kyla [Irwin] than anyone will ever know. ... Right now, Molly’s probably the happiest person in Connecticut. No doubt about it. Nobody works harder than her and she deserves it. I’m really, really proud of her.” ;)

and good Crystal news

“Things look really, really good,” Auriemma said. “We’re confident. I’m fairly certain that she’ll be practicing tomorrow and playing this weekend," Auriemma said. "If you [asked] me ‘is there a better chance that she’s going to play or not play?’ I’ll tell you she’s playing.”

Last edited:
Reaction Score
No disrespect intended whatsoever...but did a couple of the Seton Hall guards look just a tad young for college ball? They could play no doubt...but at first glance I thought they were Middle School Intermural age.

But damn, the girl could shoot.

Reaction Score
The only thing I would quibble with the OP about is the idea that Megan was solid. She's professional and quiet in the way she goes about her business, but 29 points is way better than solid. 15, 16 points is solid. Megan was magnificent.

Reaction Score
She also is only an offensive threat in transition. She has not shown any ability to create her own shot in the half court. Next year, she may have trouble getting minutes on a team with Westbrook, Makurat, Muhl and Bueckers, unless there is a huge improvement between now and then.

Well, I don’t see any improvement in her game whatsoever, compared to last year. That is a really bad omen, particularly since she spent her summer playing USA basketball. Tonight was a game where she needed to step up, with the point guard out and the post in early foul trouble. Instead, she committed three offensive fouls in about two minutes. When UConn put the game away in the fourth, she hardly contributed. That doesn’t sound like the number one recruit to me. I hope I am way off base, but the usual sophomore leap is not happening so far IMO.

Nonsense

Reaction Score

...but she does excel in the opening jump ball. :D

Reaction Score
Well, at least, I got to see a taste of what the Big East will look like next year. These guys are not going to lay down just because it is UConn and this will motivate them to be even stronger and more competitive. Some great games on the horizon next year as opposed to the AAC. Who knows, the power index of the Big East may be higher than the Big 10.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Alot of great pressers from coach and the players but Mollie's presser just blew me away. The care and concern she has for her teammates is so obvious, In the first question, when asked about how she feels getting so many minutes, she said it is bittersweet because that means Crystal is battling injuries and we need her on the court to be our leader. That just blew me away.

Reaction Score
I think the comment was about Christyn, not Liv.

Not sure, if I replied to wrong post...I know he was down on ONO on another...or this was a follow up.

EDIT: I may have missed something in the translation. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Well, at least, I got to see a taste of what the Big East will look like next year. These guys are not going to lay down just because it is UConn and this will motivate them to be even stronger and more competitive. Some great games on the horizon next year as opposed to the AAC. Who knows, the power index of the Big East may be higher than the Big 10.

Boy, Geno is so invigorated to be back in the BE. It just oozes out of his pores. In his presser, he waxed poetic for 5+ minutes about Walsh and memories.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Some quotes in Alexa's article

“[Thursday’s game] gives me a lot of confidence, just that I know that I have an impact on the game, just coming in, getting rebounds, offensive boards, driving to the basket," Griffin said.

so Geno is giving her the Freshman treatment using "kid" Apparently she will need to do more to be called Aubrey :):)

“You’re going to see this a lot in her career, and you’re going to see it often," Auriemma added. "I don’t know if she’s ready to do it right now, but you’re going to see this a lot. That kid’s capable of doing things that very few kids can. She has a knack for the ball. The kid’s unique, man. She’s something else.”

and some Molly love

“Nobody deserves it more, to be able to play meaningful minutes in a meaningful game, as a senior at UConn,” Auriemma said. “It means more to her and Kyla [Irwin] than anyone will ever know. ... Right now, Molly’s probably the happiest person in Connecticut. No doubt about it. Nobody works harder than her and she deserves it. I’m really, really proud of her.” ;)

and good Crystal news

“Things look really, really good,” Auriemma said. “We’re confident. I’m fairly certain that she’ll be practicing tomorrow and playing this weekend," Auriemma said. "If you [asked] me ‘is there a better chance that she’s going to play or not play?’ I’ll tell you she’s playing.”

If Geno had any apprehension about putting Aubrey in a game before last night, I think it's safe to assume those fears/concerns were dashed.

“Every day in practice, she’s getting a little better,” Auriemma said of Griffin. "She’s starting to figure things out a little more, feeling a little more comfortable. And in the meantime, it’s been more just ‘Focus on what you’re good at.

That’s what Griffin did best Thursday night, crashing the boards on both ends of the floor (she collected six offensive rebounds and six defensive ones) and staying aggressive off the drive, where she drew seven Seton Hall fouls that led to 10 points from the charity-stripe alone."

It’s quite possible that Geno has found his 6th man for the remainder of the season. She was first off the bench last night. She played 30 minutes of amazing (productive) basketball. Wow, what a performance by Aubrey. She is fun to watch. :D

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
If Geno had any apprehension about putting freshman Aubrey in a game, after last night, I’m going to assume any concerns he may have were dashed. It’s quite possible that Aubrey has become Geno’s new 6th man. She was first off the bench last night.

Without a doubt. Lost in the Aubrey effort I think is Anna's overall strong and confident game. By the way, after Geno's Polish speedwalking comment, I keep looking at her stride now and he hit it dead center. ;);):oops::oops:

Reaction Score
I think Coach Dailey told Geno it was time to release the Kraken on Seton Hall. He said "you're right...we don't have a Kraken right now but I'm going to unleash a very young "Griffin" on them." Wiki states "by the Middle Ages the griffin was thought to be an especially powerful and majestic creature." She was all of that last night and more.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom