Seton Hall Post Game Thread | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Seton Hall Post Game Thread

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I think Coach Dailey told Geno it was time to release the Kraken on Seton Hall. He said "you're right...we don't have a Kraken right now but I'm going to unleash a very young "Griffin" on them." Wiki states "by the Middle Ages the griffin was thought to be an especially powerful and majestic creature." She was all of that last night and more.

I guess to keep with the Mythology, Liv should be the Kraken (that fierce tomahawk block after she was in foul trouble all night is scary), Aubrey is the Griffin and of course there is Megatron. I leave it to others to continue this fanciful assignment of personas to the rest of the team

Reaction Score
As a bball fan this was a really fun game to watch. SHU played kinda out of their minds, accomplished many of their keys to the game and UConn still fought and persevered to win.
  • Aubrey's athleticism is elite of the elite. Geno is right: Aubrey is unique. What she could become has me so so excited.
  • Molly had a hand in the victory, maybe not quite on the level of Megan and Aubrey but a role, nonetheless. Any player that pays her dues for 4 years, never complains and is always the consummate teammate deserves to have special moments as a senior. Thrilled for her.
  • Megan was fantastic per usual.
  • CW didnt have her best or most impactful game, but I have no doubt she will have an outstanding season.
One concern: There were atleast 3 instances where they didnt communicate a switch on defense and gave up an uncontested three. Very unlike UConn and I hope it will not be a problem moving forward (don't think it will).

Reaction Score
Finally watched it. I'm normally a nervous sort of watcher, but knowing the score beforehand this was actually a really fun game to watch.

It exposed some concerns we've had (depth, experience, etc.), but it also showed us glimpses of what the future might be.

Reaction Score
One of the things Geno said about CW is that she's not a pg. She is at her best moving without the ball to get her shot. More than any other player on the court, she needs Crystal on the court.
Seems like this year, teams double ONO down low and have a guard follow CW around the court. Walker rarely seems doubled. Predict CW will have some very big games once teams realize they have to deal with a potential All American in Walker.

Reaction Score
Very painful game to watch, especially with early fouls. We looked very beatable most of the game not getting a respite until Aubrey Griffin took over and Seton Hall starters sat down with foul trouble. Anna looked slow and tentative offensively - understand she has some ailments - but she hasn't blossomed into an offensive contributor.

So my question is...

WHY on a night with a paper thin bench and early foul trouble did not #14 Evelyn Adebayo play?

Last night was about as desperate as you can want, yet an experienced heralded recruit sat when SH looked like they were going to embarrass us.

Have I missed and injury or other restriction?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Seems like this year, teams double ONO down low and have a guard follow CW around the court. Walker rarely seems doubled. Predict CW will have some very big games once teams realize they have to deal with a potential All American in Walker.
Pick your poison. ;)

Reaction Score
She also is only an offensive threat in transition. She has not shown any ability to create her own shot in the half court. Next year, she may have trouble getting minutes on a team with Westbrook, Makurat, Muhl and Bueckers, unless there is a huge improvement between now and then.
Opinions vary. Since CW is often taller and stronger than the player guarding her, she often can "manufacture" that 10-12 foot jump shot better than most. Doesn't seem like Geno wants the middle clogged up, but CW going one on one for a 2 point shot is money.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Very painful game to watch, especially with early fouls. We looked very beatable most of the game not getting a respite until Aubrey Griffin took over and Seton Hall starters sat down with foul trouble. Anna looked slow and tentative offensively - understand she has some ailments - but she hasn't blossomed into an offensive contributor.

So my question is...

WHY on a night with a paper thin bench and early foul trouble did not #14 Evelyn Adebayo play?

Last night was about as desperate as you can want, yet an experienced heralded recruit sat when SH looked like they were going to embarrass us.

Have I missed and injury or other restriction?
It’s a legitimate question. The best answer right now appears to be that Evelyn appears to be struggling to learn Geno’s system. She came from a program at Murray St where she was the very best player on a bad and undisciplined team. She’s now being asked to be a role player on a very good and disciplined team. That can be a difficult transition. I hope she gets it, because as last night clearly demonstrated, UConn could use her.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
She also is only an offensive threat in transition. She has not shown any ability to create her own shot in the half court. Next year, she may have trouble getting minutes on a team with Westbrook, Makurat, Muhl and Bueckers, unless there is a huge improvement between now and then.
OMG.

280.jpg

Reaction Score
My heart was warmed by the quote of Geno above (far above) about Molly. For me it shows the depth of his genius as a coach and mentor to young adults. ...the values of a man born to be a great teacher.

Molly has been a great student to - demonstrated by the quote above from her interview. UConn WBB has worked out especially well for her.

What I love about following our team.

Wilderness

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Well, I don’t see any improvement in her game whatsoever, compared to last year. That is a really bad omen, particularly since she spent her summer playing USA basketball. Tonight was a game where she needed to step up, with the point guard out and the post in early foul trouble. Instead, she committed three offensive fouls in about two minutes. When UConn put the game away in the fourth, she hardly contributed. That doesn’t sound like the number one recruit to me. I hope I am way off base, but the usual sophomore leap is not happening so far IMO.
This is very similar to posts people were making about Megan last year

Reaction Score
No disrespect intended whatsoever...but did a couple of the Seton Hall guards look just a tad young for college ball? They could play no doubt...but at first glance I thought they were Middle School Intermural age.

But damn, the girl could shoot.
Exactly! Thought the same Her shot was a tad unorthodox, though.

Reaction Score
I don't really get why some see what is lacking offensively when the team scores 92 at a 51.5% rate. Kyla doesn't need to shoot more and Christyn doesn't need to "step up" when others got it going. When their teammates are struggling then that argument may have merit.

Reaction Score
I have only seen two games.
This is a very solid team. Maybe a little slower than an avg Uconn team, but they have a lot of of very good to excellent BB players.
Aubrey Griffin could be the best combo of physical and basketball skills since Breanna Stewart.
Anna M, regardless of her shooting woes to start, has been very solid and will contribute more and more.
We know how good Crystal , MW and CW are...
And lastly, we saw how good Molly can be when she plays with confidence!

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Pick your poison. ;)
My Dad would tell me stories about Big Poison and Little Poison, aka Paul and Lloyd Waner. They were superstars when he was a kid watching the Pirates at Forbes field in Pittsburgh. Guess their opponents were forced to "pick their poison" too.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
My Dad would tell me stories about Big Poison and Little Poison, aka Paul and Lloyd Waner. They were superstars when he was a kid watching the Pirates at Forbes field in Pittsburgh. Guess their opponents were forced to "pick their poison" too.
I believe the Waner brothers still hold the MLB record for most hits by a pair of brothers.

Reaction Score
No disrespect intended whatsoever...but did a couple of the Seton Hall guards look just a tad young for college ball? They could play no doubt...but at first glance I thought they were Middle School Intermural age.

But damn, the girl could shoot.
Yeah no way #3 was more than 12 or 13. How could she even see over anybody to shoot??

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom