Seton Hall Post Game Thread | The Boneyard

Seton Hall Post Game Thread

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Some thoughts on the Seton Hall game:
  • Everyone can take a deep breath. Playing with our senior pg out with an injury, and without the entire sophomore class for a large part of the game, UConn is now 7-0. Lots to be concerned about with the Huskies. I’m sure other BY’ers will fill in the details.
  • Welcome to the new normal in WBB, which is following the trend of MBB, when almost any team can get hot from the arc and give a ranked team fits.
  • Playing at her dad’s old school, Aubrey’s energy, athleticism and contributions at both ends of the court were tremendous tonight. I keep saying this because it’s true: Once she figures out what she’s doing, Aubrey will be able to impact the game like Gabby did. She was pretty darn good tonight when UConn really needed her to be.
  • On the road, in a band box gym, against a tough team, in front of an enthusiastic crowd, this game reminded me of an old Big East battle. Credit to Seton Hall for not “mailing it in.” The Pirates came out and competed hard vs the Huskies.
  • Molly finally decided to take some shots rather than passing the ball all the time, and she reminded me of the young lady who won the 3-pt shooting contest on 1st Night.
  • Megan continues to be solid, playing at an AA level for the Huskies.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Some thoughts on the Seton Hall game:
  • Everyone can take a deep breath. Playing with our senior pg out with an injury, and without the entire sophomore class for a large part of the game, UConn is now 7-0. Lots to be concerned about with the Huskies. I’m sure other BY’ers will fill in the details.
  • Welcome to the new normal in WBB, which is following the trend of MBB, when almost any team can get hot from the arc and give a ranked team fits.
  • Playing at her dad’s old school, Aubrey’s energy, athleticism and contributions at both ends of the court were tremendous tonight. I keep saying this because it’s true: Once she figures out what she’s doing, Aubrey will be able to impact the game like Gabby did. She was pretty darn good tonight when UConn really needed her to be.
  • On the road, in a band box gym, against a tough team, in front of an enthusiastic crowd, this game reminded me of an old Big East battle. Credit to Seton Hall for not “mailing it in.” The Pirates came out and competed hard vs the Huskies.
  • Molly finally decided to take some shots rather than passing the ball all the time, and she reminded me of the young lady who won the 3-pt shooting contest on 1st Night.
  • Megan continues to be solid, playing at an AA level for the Huskies.
1. Yep
2. Yep
3. Yep
4. Yep
5. Yep
6. Yep

Reaction Score
1575595300405.png

Reaction Score
Coming out party for Aubrey and Anna appears to have found her shot, now we just have to get her to take more shots. And 23 rebounds between them. Both played extremely well. And Megan—just say All American.

Reaction Score
The question has been where can we can get contributions outside of the fab 4. Well today, we saw how well Griffin, Makurat, Bent, and Irwin can play. Kyla may not have scored, but she led the team in assist again, which we need since Crystal is out. We have to stop expecting everything to be perfect. We have to let the girls learn and grow. I saw we were down like 10 early second quarter and the thought of us losing never crossed my mind. Do we have things to improve on? Yes 100%. I won’t be pretty all the time. You take the win and build on it.

Reaction Score
Kyla again was the assist leader but 0 for 1 from the field. Her shooting percentage continues to drop. Shout out to Megan for keeping the ship steady.Shout out to Aubrey for getting us excited about her potential. Good job by Molly and Anna.

Papa33

Poster Emeritus
Reaction Score
Kyla needs to score some. As many minutes as she played and her stat sheet, other than a few assists, is pretty empty.
For sure. We acknowledge that she's not a jumper or especially quick afoot, but she CAN shoot well. Or at least she has to take or threaten to take a shot (facing up to the basket, ball in shooting position) to occupy her defender's attention. That will make her passing more effective, and she will almost surely add a few points here and there. No downside that I can see.

Reaction Score
My thoughts:
  • Down game for ONO and CW
  • Anna looked slow but she played through perhaps her injury and her ability to contribute on rebounding and scoring is only going to help us. I though Anna gained confidence tnite
  • Aubrey, holy cow! She played with with aggression and was not to be denied. Incredible effort. No one could stop her on Seton Hall
  • Thank god for Megan Walker. She is becoming a star this year and she does it with such efficiency. So glad to see her hard work paying off
  • Molly wasn’t playing well in the beginning and it seems that she needs time to settle in but if she can play like the way she did at time at it’s with her confindence and shooting and driving she can will be of great help to spell crystal. Nice job by Molly

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Much Tougher Game then the Final Score Indicated. Seton Hall stayed in the game because of their three point shooting. A few times Megan and others left their player to help out and Seton Hall got Wide open three point shots. Also, what's unusual only Megan and Aubrey got to the Free Throw line making 16 of 19.

Glad I didn't go into Chat Tonight. Don't know what I would have typed about the Refs calling Offensive Fouls in the first half. I would also had had to comment about Kyla only attempting one shot and ZERO Rebounds for the minutes she played. Towards the end of Kyla's playing time Seton Hall Defender sagged off her and she could have turn back to the basket for a Wide Open shot at the top of the Key. Kyla did have some nice assists from her passes at the top of the key, but she's got to contribute more offense and rebounds. in games like tonight.

Geno went to a small lineup to end the Game and it was perfect strategy.

JordyG

Reaction Score
What I'm most impressed about AG in this game was her ability to get to the line. Something this team has been missing all year. Despite all the woe is us going on this was a great harbinger of what is to come. AG is a superstar in the making. What I was most disappointed about this game, offensively, is CW's second straight game where she struggled and appeared to be confused. Secondly was Liv's inability to be consistent offensively and defensively. Not in her scoring, but in setting picks, making good passes and good decisions, being out of position on offense and defense, getting into good position offensively and defensively, and at times, her lack of urgency. The work in progress continues.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
What I'm most impressed about AG in this game was her ability to get to the line. Something this team has been missing all year. Despite all the woe is us going on this was a great harbinger of what is to come. AG is a superstar in the making. What I was most disappointed about this game, offensively, is CW's second straight game where she struggled and appeared to be confused. Secondly was Liv's inability to be consistent offensively and defensively. Not in her scoring, but in setting picks, making good passes and good decisions, being out of position on offense and defense, getting into good position offensively and defensively, and at times, her lack of urgency. The work in progress continues.
One of the things Geno said about CW is that she's not a pg. She is at her best moving without the ball to get her shot. More than any other player on the court, she needs Crystal on the court.

JordyG

Reaction Score
During the Maryland/NCST postgame
One of the things Geno said about CW is that she's not a pg. She is at her best moving without the ball to get her shot. More than any other player on the court, she needs Crystal on the court.
...and it shows.

wbball novice

That bandwagon guy
Reaction Score
Interesting that UConn in previous years was weakest in Q4, but here's another game where the fireworks were in the iast Q.

I don't know how the coach could defend 3s when the other team is feeling the spirit -- and UConn seems to bring out the 3 pt gods for the other teams. And somehow UConn responds.

One of the most exciting UConn games I've seen this season.

A great learning experience -- couldn't imagine Geno thinking up a better exercise for the team to play without their regular leader, playing with fouls, playing to avoid fouls, more important -- playing with key players on the bench with fouls. Asking the bench players to score without depending on their regular shooters. (Megan excepted -- she scored 29!) And they come through!

I learned that Aubrey Griffin is really that good, The block was especially dramatic because she also stole the ball and finished.

Around the basket needs some work. CW is one of the best layup shooters I've ever seen, though her midrange has been better. Megan in some ways is the opposite -- outside and midrange really good, but often seems to have trouble with layups. Anna's rebounding really good but tentative shooting -- perhaps a good idea when the game was so close. I think she can get her shot back in a blow out. There'll be a blowout here and there, right? Maybe they won't win every game considering the murderers' row they have scheduled, but UConn may do a lot better than expected.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom