Seton Hall Post Game Thread | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Seton Hall Post Game Thread

Reaction Score
Megan is great... but she still forces some shots that make me cringe... CW goes long periods without being aggressive at all, and she is so much better when she is aggressive... so happy to see Molly finally take some shots.. props to her... Anna continues to improve her shooting, and the rest of her game is solid. Ono still needs to learn how not to foul, but her turn around jumper was great tonight. Kyla steady, and I guess that's the most we can really ask for her. And finally, great to see a break out game by Aubrey... so much athleticism... she just needs to let it go. And as I've patted myself on the back in another post, I was the first to bring her to the boneyard's attention, with an article about her interest in UConn way before she committed. Make me proud, Aubrey!!! :)

Reaction Score
One of the things Geno said about CW is that she's not a pg. She is at her best moving without the ball to get her shot. More than any other player on the court, she needs Crystal on the court.
She also is only an offensive threat in transition. She has not shown any ability to create her own shot in the half court. Next year, she may have trouble getting minutes on a team with Westbrook, Makurat, Muhl and Bueckers, unless there is a huge improvement between now and then.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Let me offer one distinctly negative assessment: Olivia committed some VERY dumb fouls. I haven't watched the replay yet, but I started watching live when it was 4-2 UConn (maybe 1 or 2 minutes into the game), and Olivia already had one foul. I didn't see it, but it can't be smart to get a foul that early in the game when there is no replacement for you.

I did see her second and third fouls live. They were both valid calls; in fact, the referees would have been derelict NOT to call them. The second foul was while she was trying to defend a shot which (at that point in the first quarter) she should have just let go (the shot might have been missed anyway). The third foul (late in the third quarter) was an attempt to get a rebound that she had no chance at; again, better to just let it go.

I will say that there were some plays where she DID appear to be letting shots be taken so as to avoid risking a foul, which was definitely smart if that is what she was doing.

On another note, I have to think that Evelyn Adebayo is getting demoralized now, considering that this is her last season of college basketball. Being the only player that didn't get off the bench in this game has to hurt. And it will only get worse in January when (hopefully) Batouly Camara returns to the court.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
The question has been where can we can get contributions outside of the fab 4. Well today, we saw how well Griffin, Makurat, Bent, and Irwin can play. Kyla may not have scored, but she led the team in assist again, which we need since Crystal is out. We have to stop expecting everything to be perfect. We have to let the girls learn and grow. I saw we were down like 10 early second quarter and the thought of us losing never crossed my mind. Do we have things to improve on? Yes 100%. I won’t be pretty all the time. You take the win and build on it.
You should have stopped into the Chat Room...

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I certainly enjoyed watching Aubrey have a great all around game tonight but I cringed a few times when she seemed to try and make a move towards the basket when it seemed like there was no place to go. These happened in the lane at the basket and I believe ended up in a TO. But this was early on and then was almost perfecto for the rest of her time on the court!!!

Reaction Score
Sorry but I find that hard to believe.
Well, I don’t see any improvement in her game whatsoever, compared to last year. That is a really bad omen, particularly since she spent her summer playing USA basketball. Tonight was a game where she needed to step up, with the point guard out and the post in early foul trouble. Instead, she committed three offensive fouls in about two minutes. When UConn put the game away in the fourth, she hardly contributed. That doesn’t sound like the number one recruit to me. I hope I am way off base, but the usual sophomore leap is not happening so far IMO.

Reaction Score
She also is only an offensive threat in transition. She has not shown any ability to create her own shot in the half court. Next year, she may have trouble getting minutes on a team with Westbrook, Makurat, Muhl and Bueckers, unless there is a huge improvement between now and then.

uhhhhh..............I don't think so but if that turns out to be the case then UConn will be well on their way to a very, very big season........... ;)

Reaction Score
Well, I don’t see any improvement in her game whatsoever, compared to last year. That is a really bad omen, particularly since she spent her summer playing USA basketball. Tonight was a game where she needed to step up, with the point guard out and the post in early foul trouble. Instead, she committed three offensive fouls in about two minutes. When UConn put the game away in the fourth, she hardly contributed. That doesn’t sound like the number one recruit to me. I hope I am way off base, but the usual sophomore leap is not happening so far IMO.
Don’t worry... you are way off base.

Reaction Score
On another note, I have to think that Evelyn Adebayo is getting demoralized now, considering that this is her last season of college basketball. Being the only player that didn't get off the bench in this game has to hurt. And it will only get worse in January when (hopefully) Batouly Camara returns to the court.

This is the part I don't understand. Was the coaching staff so wrong in their evaluation of her as a college player, and it's not like they did not have enough information like with a high school kid. She looked pretty mobile and had skills in that game vs Tennessee last year.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
CW is one of the best on the team at creating her own shot. Also, some of you need to lay off Kyla. She, like every other player, contributed tonight. Some on here think every player every game should be living up to the standards they have placed on them. They look for any little negative thing they can find to say about a player's performance. CW is going to be a star.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
This is the part I don't understand. Was the coaching staff so wrong in their evaluation of her as a college player, and it's not like they did not have enough information like with a high school kid. She looked pretty mobile and had skills in that game vs Tennessee last year.
I don’t think it’s Evelyn’s offense that’s the problem. In the few minutes I’ve seen her, she struggles to move her feet on defense.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Some thoughts on the Seton Hall game:
  • Everyone can take a deep breath. Playing with our senior pg out with an injury, and without the entire sophomore class for a large part of the game, UConn is now 7-0. Lots to be concerned about with the Huskies. I’m sure other BY’ers will fill in the details.
  • Welcome to the new normal in WBB, which is following the trend of MBB, when almost any team can get hot from the arc and give a ranked team fits.
  • Playing at her dad’s old school, Aubrey’s energy, athleticism and contributions at both ends of the court were tremendous tonight. I keep saying this because it’s true: Once she figures out what she’s doing, Aubrey will be able to impact the game like Gabby did. She was pretty darn good tonight when UConn really needed her to be.
  • On the road, in a band box gym, against a tough team, in front of an enthusiastic crowd, this game reminded me of an old Big East battle. Credit to Seton Hall for not “mailing it in.” The Pirates came out and competed hard vs the Huskies.
  • Molly finally decided to take some shots rather than passing the ball all the time, and she reminded me of the young lady who won the 3-pt shooting contest on 1st Night.
  • Megan continues to be solid, playing at an AA level for the Huskies.
To mimic @JordyG Yep doubled (not to be out done). Well said, Oldude well said.

Reaction Score
I don’t think it’s Evelyn’s offense that’s the problem. In the few minutes I’ve seen her, she struggles to move her feet in defense.
E.A. is best on defense when she blocks the center of the key. Kalli McLaren type. (the one that beat LsU

Reaction Score
I would love to see the postgame presser. Any chance we can find it ?

Reaction Score
I don’t think it’s Evelyn’s offense that’s the problem. In the few minutes I’ve seen her, she struggles to move her feet on defense.

Didn't they see that watching film from last year?

Reaction Score
CW is one of the best on the team at creating her own shot. Also, some of you need to lay off Kyla. She, like every other player, contributed tonight. Some on here think every player every game should be living up to the standards they have placed on them. They look for any little negative thing they can find to say about a player's performance. CW is going to be a star.

Agree. Kyla is doing pretty much what Geno said she should be doing in the pre-game interview. He basically said Kyla's job is to make pass to the open teammate, rebound, block out, etc... and only take a "non-moving" set shot when she is wide open. I think Kyla understands her role very well this year and is fullfilling a particular need for the team.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom