September UConn recruiting thread | Page 4 | The Boneyard

September UConn recruiting thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Exactly, and last I saw she was listed at 6’3”. Whatever her precise height is, she plays big. But I’m glad to hear that some scouts think she’s a credible sg. She’s got a good midrange game and can occasionally hit the 3, but I wouldn’t have put her at the 2. I can see her as a sf but she looks much more like a pf to me, who could occasionally play c at the next level when needed.
I saw that the FIBA stat sheet on JANA ( more accurate than any "rating' blog, IMO) she is
listed as 193 cm == 6' 4". Juste Joycte is listed at 188 cm == 6'2". My memory
is that Jana was a guard on the team in Egypt before " growing" into her new position.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I saw that the FIBA stat sheet on JANA ( more accurate than any "rating' blog, IMO) she is
listed as 193 cm == 6' 4". Juste Joycte is listed at 188 cm == 6'2". My memory
is that Jana was a guard on the team in Egypt before " growing" into her new position.
I don't think @Bone Dog post was about Jana Elalfy. I believe he was talking about Delaney Thomas. @Purchase1 stated that Delaney Thomas is not being recruited by UCONN. I don't doubt @Purchase1 information - I just believe that Delaney has done enough to where she should be considered by UCONN given where UCONN is with the big forwards in the 2023 class-as in UCONN don't have one yet and it is getting late- late is 2 months away from signing day for the class of '23.

Reaction Score
I don't have a solid idea regarding their relative rankings, but I suspect El Alfy might be at the top of that list. Her mobility and ball-handling is much better than most bigs. I know Thomas is high in the rankings, but I wasn't that impressed in the few clips I have seen. I have to keep that in mind, however, because I had a similar reaction to Koval based on very minimal videos, then saw her play for Ukraine in the 3x3 under 18 and was far more impressed.

In that tournament she got good position underneath and shot quickly when she got the ball. Seemed strong, good fundamentals, pretty good skills, but pretty average athlete. Heiden seems to be similar to me as well, ranked lower but maybe underrated.

I am probably interested in Tac second after El Alfy. Appears to be extremely long and pretty athletic. I presume she would be a very good rebounder/shot blocker and yet have the potential upside to be a low post scorer as well. If she advances on the offensive end, she might move up from around 10 to closer to the top, but I haven't seen that much of her either, so all of these opinions are based on pretty limited information, but those are my thoughts based on what I have seen thus far.
I agree, Ms. Koval, in the FIBA 3X3 tournament this Summer, kept her team , Ukraine, competitive in a number of those quick/ high energy contests. Remember these 3X3 are international, against carefully selected National teams. I believe that Kataryna (Kate) has a nice upside. Read: still needs some polishing. Geno,
polish this gem in the rough!

Reaction Score
I am stating about Delaney Thomas , not Elalfy .I would bet that Jana Elalfy has an offer from U Conn.

Reaction Score
No.

But we do have bigs as of right now.
I think the question is what bigs will we have in two years. In 2024-25, we'll have Ice and Ayanna as juniors and Amari in her senior year. El Alfy will be a Sophomore. I think another big next to her would be useful, if not essential.

Reaction Score
They don't need one as of right now. Nice to have but not a need.
Depends what you mean by "need." I think a big forward is still a hole in the '23 recruiting. The bigs for that squad will be Aaliyah Amari Ice Ayanna. The following year, Amari Ice Ayanna and that feels a little thin to me. Add El Alfy and Delany Thomas, or two others like them, and the roster looks much fuller to me.

Reaction Score
Back to Juste Jocyte Juste is a "guard" 6' 2" 188 cm. Juste was the MVP
of the Fiba U18 Women's European Championship this Summer in
Heraklion, Greece. See the FIBA Final Game of Spain v Lithuania.
Juste was great, as usual, but I was impressed by her PASSING. This
in a championship series where she was 16 yos playing against players who
were two years older than Juste. If interested in more Juste Highlights
see Fiba U18 Women's European Championship and the article
for August 16, 2022 : "Player Spotlight: Juste Jocyte - the Magic to
Make Lithuania Contenders Again." Her stats: 19.1 ppg 7.1 rpg,
6.9 assists per game ( remarkable for the primary shooter on the squad)
and an efficiency rating of 22.9. This link as a nice article about Juste
and her effect on the team and has breakout highlight videos embedded in
the link. Note JANA and JUSTE are still both 16 yoa . JANA 6' 4", Juste
6' 2" 188 cm and for completeness sake: Katenyna (Kate) Koval is 6' 5". 193 cm.
and she is 190# ( per the FIBA webpage)
Koval plays for Lutheran H.S. on Long Island , N.Y. and also EXODUS, NY NY
Jersey #13.

Kat

Reaction Score
I"m seeing how the NIL thing has already changed college football and wonder if this is going to change the landscape of women's basketball, too.

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score

Not the point but Fran "out of Canada" ? News to me....Was born in Kansas then moved to Colorado where she played at Regis Jesuit.

Fournier's instagram only follows seven basketball teams. Arizona, UConn, Stanford, UCLA, Duke, Lafayette, and Maryland. So, that may be a starting point for where Fournier is interested in going.

Reaction Score
16 years old as of May. Played in the Europe U16 (Div A) tournament in August and averaged 10/10. Portugal finished 4th.
I scanned the Fiba stats for Clara Sofia Vieitas Ferreira DaSilva. Clara is 198 cm 6'6".
During August 2022 at U16 Fiba Clara's stats incluce : 7 games, 28.6 mpg, 10.6 ppg,
10 rbg, 2.1 apg, 1.6 blocked shots pg, efficiency 16.3, no 3 point attempts, fg % is the same as her 2 point shot percentage 36.7 Free throw % 84.2%. I wonder if Ines gave Morgan V a heads
up on this young lady? Clara played in the FIBA U16 tournament in both 2021 and 2022. Clara made
great strides in all statics : pts, rebounds, assists, and efficiency. Some of the photos
of Clara on the FIBA/ Portugal web page have Poland, Lativa, Belgium opponents grabbing
at her and being ( rather ) physical with her. I believe it will be interesting to see how this lady
grows into her maturing game. "You can't teach 'heigh ' " , and she has that.
Go Portugal, Go Ines, Go Clara!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01