September UConn recruiting thread | Page 3 | The Boneyard

September UConn recruiting thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Olivia is the real deal! If she wanted to stay in the midwest I was hoping she would go to
Wisconsin with our very own Marisa Moseley.

Is ElAlfy considered a member of the class of 2023?
Same question for Jocyte?

We have verbals from Shade/Arnold/Samuels so far...got room for 2 more?
For ElAfly and Jocyte? Yes.

I think El Alfy is class of 2023.

Re Jocyte, it's hard to say. Many Europeans leave for college at age 19, rather than 18. She could be 2023, 2024, or even 2025. She is still only 16 and turns 17 on November 19.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
I think El Alfy is class of 2023.

Re Jocyte, it's hard to say. Many Europeans leave for college at age 19, rather than 18. She could be 2023, 2024, or even 2025. She is still only 16 and turns 17 on November 19.
If El Alfy wasn’t a 2023, this couldn’t have been an OV.

OVs for 2024 don’t start until after this year’s NC.

Reaction Score
She is obviously a lefty. Dribbles almost exclusively with her left, drives to her left, shoots with her left. (At least from this video)
she definitely favors the left hand but if you watch her highlights she does have the ability to go right.........she is a basketball savant..........great instincts, great shooter and that quick release and her ability to adjust her body while shooting is freakishly good for her age......

Reaction Score
Anyone out there have a solid idea on where El Alfy would rank among the 2024 bigs? Where would she fit on a list of Thomas, Tac, Koval, Almon, and Heiden? I’m aware rankings are subjective and often wildly inaccurate. While I don’t know anything about Almon beyond her commitment to Miami, I tend to see the remaining three uncommitted players listed above as being relatively close in terms of ability. Obviously they vary in terms of particular strengths and weaknesses but based on what I’ve seen and heard, none are considered “elite” or “generational” players but rather “solid” with potential for more.

Reaction Score
Anyone out there have a solid idea on where El Alfy would rank among the 2024 bigs? Where would she fit on a list of Thomas, Tac, Koval, Almon, and Heiden? I’m aware rankings are subjective and often wildly inaccurate. While I don’t know anything about Almon beyond her commitment to Miami, I tend to see the remaining three uncommitted players listed above as being relatively close in terms of ability. Obviously they vary in terms of particular strengths and weaknesses but based on what I’ve seen and heard, none are considered “elite” or “generational” players but rather “solid” with potential for more.
I don't have a solid idea regarding their relative rankings, but I suspect El Alfy might be at the top of that list. Her mobility and ball-handling is much better than most bigs. I know Thomas is high in the rankings, but I wasn't that impressed in the few clips I have seen. I have to keep that in mind, however, because I had a similar reaction to Koval based on very minimal videos, then saw her play for Ukraine in the 3x3 under 18 and was far more impressed.

In that tournament she got good position underneath and shot quickly when she got the ball. Seemed strong, good fundamentals, pretty good skills, but pretty average athlete. Heiden seems to be similar to me as well, ranked lower but maybe underrated.

I am probably interested in Tac second after El Alfy. Appears to be extremely long and pretty athletic. I presume she would be a very good rebounder/shot blocker and yet have the potential upside to be a low post scorer as well. If she advances on the offensive end, she might move up from around 10 to closer to the top, but I haven't seen that much of her either, so all of these opinions are based on pretty limited information, but those are my thoughts based on what I have seen thus far.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Why would Geno recruit another wing when he has Caroline, Amari, Aubrey, and Ayanna with Qadence coming in?
Do you think if El Alfy wants to commit to UConn, Geno should take her? She appears to be a very good prospect.

Reaction Score
I just watched a #FIBA 3X3 highlight of Juste Jocyte = worth a
viewing if you like Juste as a prospect. I Googled "Juste Joycte" and
then the selection "Juste Jocyte: Lithuania's Rising Rocket". She make
things look effortless! Driving, Cuts, Passes, and three point shots. It
this looks like slow motion some times... consider what it would look like
if she does her thing "quickly"!! Juste plays with Lyon Asvel in the
Ligue Feminine de Basketball. Lyon Asvel has a "youth academy"
( a H.S. type of program??).

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I just watched a #FIBA 3X3 highlight of Juste Jocyte = worth a
viewing if you like Juste as a prospect. I Googled "Juste Joycte" and
then the selection "Juste Jocyte: Lithuania's Rising Rocket". She make
things look effortless!
Driving, Cuts, Passes, and three point shots. It
this looks like slow motion some times... consider what it would look like
if she does her thing "quickly"!! Juste plays with Lyon Asvel in the
Ligue Feminine de Basketball. Lyon Asvel has a "youth academy"
( a H.S. type of program??).
Juste Joycte is very much like Napheesa Collier in this sense: They never looks like she breaking a sweat or trying to hard and then you look up at the score board or the box score and they are absolutely killing you.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Do you think if El Alfy wants to commit to UConn, Geno should take her? She appears to be a very good prospect.
IMO Geno would absolutely take her because you have to remember where we are with class of '23. UCONN had offers out to Ciera Toomey and Madison Booker originally. While Qadence might be thought of as a logical replacement for Booker (who appears to be headed to TN) UCONN still has not secured a forward comparable to Toomey for this class '23.
El Alfy could be that forward or so could Prosper and so could Delaney Thomas.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Jana Elalfy: is this just normal Boneyard silliness or is it too beyond the pale?

She wants to graduate early from high school? We hear about a verbal soon and then
she enters UConn for the second semester,,,starts right after the MLK weekend [I believe]. Come to campus a couple of weeks before second semester classes start...as soon as she graduates.
She joins the team and gets a running head start on the 2023-2024 season with nutrition program/weights
program and practicing with high intensity with and against the 2022-2023 roster. Come game one in November of 2024 she is ready to contribute in a big way... immediately.

Out of extreme left field: As she practices this season it becomes at least possible that Geno and Jana see that she could help this team. Her skills/effort demonstrate this to both. They both realize that playing in the second half this year would blow one year of eligibility...leaving her with 3 years after this season is over. We play a lot of conference team the second semester....there should be amply opportuntiy for her to get on the court and get adjusted to actual games...her to to her teammates....them to her. By tourney time she is realistically able to help this team go far...very far.

Reaction Score
But just to be clear, I have not seen any indication Delaney Thomas is being actively recruited. She’s been to Storrs, though I suspect mainly to visit Azzi. What I mainly see is a big, strong kid who can shoot and is used to carrying her hs team on both ends of the floor. I’d be surprised if Geno hasn’t looked at her, even if he decides not to make an offer.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
But just to be clear, I have not seen any indication Delaney Thomas is being actively recruited. She’s been to Storrs, though I suspect mainly to visit Azzi. What I mainly see is a big, strong kid who can shoot and is used to carrying her hs team on both ends of the floor. I’d be surprised if Geno hasn’t looked at her, even if he decides not to make an offer.
if you go back in they way back machine when Delaney and Azzi were playing AAU with GTS fusion Delaney was quoted as saying that she was working towards getting a UCONN offer. As you have said doesn't mean she ever got an offer or that UCONN is even interested. Delaney has done enough to at least earn a UCONN evaluation. For example she was Very very solid at USA basketball U16 where she led the team in rebounds per game and FG%. Quite candidly I'm surprise there is this much resistance to UCONN evaluating Delaney because she is potentially better that some of the names we seem to have gotten comfortable with. Aubrey, Qadence and even AE-at. least ESPN thinks so.

Reaction Score
Thomas has said in the past that she would love to go to UConn. With the minimal interest UConn is getting from bigs, UConn should go after Thomas. Ice will probably have to eventually play the 5 at this rate, so having Thomas to help in the post would be a benefit.

Reaction Score
That’s a UConn kid if ever I heard one!!
Maybe like DORKA? Dorka graduated early from Ohio State (Psychology)
and, as we all saw in the recent current and future (?) team picture, 6' 4" Jana,
standing next to our 5 year graduate "Big Girl" , 6' 5", Dorka. Both BIGS, Both
Early, both UCONN!. So, Jana, how about an 'early' commit??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom