September UConn recruiting thread | Page 6 | The Boneyard

September UConn recruiting thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
When it is all said and done I think this young lady (Ava Heiden) will emerge as the top Post prospect in the class of 2024.
I sincerely hope UCONN is recruiting her- Full court press is necessary.

Do you think Heiden, Koval and the two foreign bigs are as good as Toomey?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I never considered Toomey a true post like Heiden and Koval. As a big forward I though Toomey may be the best to come along in quite a while because she has great mobility, guard skills ( came up a PG), post size (6'4") and elite shot making from the basket to beyond the arc. Strong is very very good and probably has more guard skills than Toomey..but Toomey has those extra two inches and is an elite shot creator/maker.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I haven't seen enough of the foreign kids to have a good feel for them. The other 3 are much different players. IMO, Toomey has good offensive skills. Good movement, good passer and very good shooter. However, she's a finesse, perimeter type and I'm not sure how effective she'd be inside on O or D if NC chooses to use her down there unless she gets stronger overall. Heiden and Koval look to be inside bangers. Heiden seems to have better lateral quickness, shot blocking instincts, and a nice bunch of inside moves and shots. Koval is more of a space eater with a limited offensive game at this point but she rebounds very well.

Reaction Score
Heiden and El Afry for height ( 6' 4") Sarah Strong for strength and agility, etc ( 6' ?")
Toomey has committed elsewhere already , as I recollect .. North Carolina, I believe..
better for her golf game (hah!)

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
You can’t help but want this young lady at UConn, but won’t it be difficult to pull her away from the Carolina schools? Go Huskies!!
Home cooking has an allure for some recruits that’s very difficult to overcome.

Reaction Score
Bobby J, good analysis. Toomey is a finesse perimeter player . Auriemma has been shopping in the physical, athletic aisle to fit his vision of the team he wants to construct.

Reaction Score
Heiden and El Afry for height ( 6' 4") Sarah Strong for strength and agility, etc ( 6' ?")
Toomey has committed elsewhere already , as I recollect .. North Carolina, I believe..
better for her golf game (hah!)
If we could get Heiden, Strong, and either El Alfy or Tac I would be a very happy camper! Those three would be (in all likelihood) the dominant front court for all or most of their college career! Imo, of course.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
If we could get Heiden, Strong, and either El Alfy or Tac I would be a very happy camper! Those three would be (in all likelihood) the dominant front court for all or most of their college career! Imo, of course.
I'd be satisfied with El Alfy or Tac.

Reaction Score
Happy Birthday: Jana El Afry ... September 20, 2005 !!!
Save a slice of Birthday cake for the Boneyard! ( or whatever
your traditional BD celebration feast may be ! .. just put
some ice cream aside for me!) Best Wishes in your future
Basketball career! We are thinking of you!! Z

Reaction Score
Home cooking has an allure for some recruits that’s very difficult to overcome.

When a player puts non-basketball factors at the top of their checklist for choosing a school it is a sign that basketball isn't the most important thing in their lives. That's actually a good attitude to have but I prefer recruits who live and breathe hoops and who would probably travel to the ends of the earth if the best program for her development was located there.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Geno did offer Toomey, no kidding. Witness/ Paterson, Brady, the pursuit of Strong and El Alfy all physical, quick at getting to the rim, and good rebounders.
Geno has not recently changed the type of player he is recruiting nor is he shopping in a different aisle as your last two post have implied. Witness/Gabby Williams every bit as athletic Paterson. Morgan Tuck every bit as skilled & physical as Sarah Strong or Ice Brady have shown the potential to be. If Jana El Alfy turns out to be as good and physical as either Aaliyah Edwards or Dorka she would be a great UCONN addition. There is also no evidence that Geno is putting a "full court" press for Sarah Strong. Keep in mind that Strong has already visited UCONN and her evaluations are on going. Strong is also class of 2024 and cannot take official visits until April 2023.

Reaction Score
I don't think he has changed the type of player he recruits at all. As in previous posts, you can follow certain player archetypes that are present year in and year out. I think everyone has noticed the geographical expansion recently though.....and that is different.

Reaction Score
Auriemma stated in 2019, that he had 2 down recruiting years. I never said he doesn't get athletic players, and where was the physical front court against South Carolina ? Don't you believe that Strong is his # 1 priority ?

Reaction Score
and where was the physical front court against South Carolina ? Don't you believe that Strong is his # 1 priority ?
In regards to SC which relates to recruiting - the reason he got Dorka was so he could better compete with teams with size. The reason he had Liv all these years was so he could compete with size. Well one couldn't play and the other was playing injured in which she saw only 23 minutes.

In regards to Strong, is she better than Brady and Patterson? If she isn't, then possibly she wouldn't be the number 1 priority. You can possibly find a backup. And if you can get a superstar wing if better than a backup to both Brady and Patterson instead while having a decent backup at the 4/5 spots then the superstar wing would be more of the priority. For example, are any 2024 players that are wings considered better than Strong such as Joyce Edwards, Kendall Dudley, Taliyah Parker, or any in the 2025 class off-the-charts type great? Maybe we aren’t recruiting these players – I don’t know.

I'm not arguing one bit against Strong just asking if there is other alternatives for a number 1 priority. If there are some super wings we are recruiting and Geno has confidence in Brady and Patterson then there certainly can be a different number 1 priority. Or maybe someone taller is the number 1 priority if the staff is concerned with Amari and if Brady isn’t that tall. That Stanford frontline with Betts having one year under her belt and maybe even this year would be pretty imposing. Strong is 6'2 for 2024. If no Amari, then who can we count on to guard 6'6/6'7 players?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom