September UConn recruiting thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
F5C8B65D-EAB5-4335-89B5-3BBBA178AE4F.jpg

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score

It is at the 37 second mark of the video right before the driving basket by Ines. She is seated by herself on the sideline in a white sweat shirt and dark pants and as @UConnCat said she is looking at phone.

Yes.

Who was the CT HS player who attended a UConn practice, was on her phone a lot and was never offered? I'm thinking Kiah Gillespie. Anyhow, we'll see how this one goes. With these recent visits to other schools Walz will eventually be on a jet to Cairo!

Reaction Score
Since her dad's her coach and she says in the video from a couple years ago that she wants to be a coach like him, it sounds like the staff will be a big factor in the decision. As a 2023 kid it's getting late in the process and if they were sold on the L'ville staff there would be little need to take an OV to UConn. I'd think this would wrap things up. ;)

Surprised her Dad hasn't been successful yet in getting her a higher release on her jump shot. Even at her height, she could be eating a lot of leather with that very low release

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
This is just my opinion, but I would not put a ton of stock into a single photo of a recruit on their phone. It's a single second and flash of the camera. It could have been the first time she had been on it for hours. We don't know. Also, if my daughter is in another country, I am going to ask her to make sure their phone is with them at all times especially a teenage daughter.

Bottom line--I wouldn't read too much into it.

Reaction Score
Surprised her Dad hasn't been successful yet in getting her a higher release on her jump shot. Even at her height, she could be eating a lot of leather with that very low release
You're not wrong about the low release point on her shot. I would just say that not all coaches are that knowledgeable about shooting mechanics. They may know there's a problem but don't necessarily know how to fix it. That's why I think it's a good idea to hook up otherwise skilled players with a quality shooting instructor as early as possible, even if they're entering college. Some kids will just never be good shooters but with hard work some can be.

Reaction Score
Geno’s practices will take Juste out of her comfort zone. Come play with Nika, Ines, Azzi, Buckets, et al.!
I agree about Juste's " comfort zone". She is tremendous, but watching her in this
summer's FIBA tournament ( see highlights of Lithuania against anybody), I felt
she was on cruise control until the game was on the line. She came to life and lit it
up in the fourth quarter. She could not be stopped or was fouled.. She is deadly from
the foul line!

Reaction Score
El Alfy with the team at the Sun game Tuesday night.

I would recognize her anywhere! Jana El Alfy , usually jersey # 24, 6' 4" ( 193 cm )
Jana was once the youngest player at the "NBA Academy". During the 19 games that
she had played in the FIBA ( 19 games: 2020 -2022 ), Jana has averaged 19.9 ppg, 10.9 rpg,
1.9 assists per game, with an efficiency rating of 23 +. For the U 18 FIBA
African tournament this past summer, Jana ( over 6 games), averaged 24.7 ppg, 11.5 rebounds per
game, 2.5 assists per game and had an efficiency rating of... hold your hats.... 30.2!!
Egypt lost to Mali in the hard fought final with Mali's Maimoune (sp) Haidari also
having a great game. Since Mali won the gold, Haidari won the MVP, but Jana
edged her out on all the statistical numbers. Haidari plays BB in Spain.
In theory UCONN's competition for this young lady includes: Louisville, Duke, and ?? UCLA.
Jana was originally a Guard , she can handle the ball!.... then she grew!!! (a few inches,) now she is listed
as a power forward. Note how her 6'4" compares to Dorka in the Twitter photo.
So, Jana, if you are reading this, ... we do know you!! Come to Storrs!! All
the best to you. I think you will reach you dream of being a WBB coach like your
dad. Let Geno, CD, Coach J, and Morgan help you !! Sincerely, Z

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I agree about Juste's " comfort zone". She is tremendous, but watching her in this
summer's FIBA tournament ( see highlights of Lithuania against anybody), I felt
she was on cruise control until the game was on the line. She came to life and lit it
up in the fourth quarter. She could not be stopped or was fouled.. She is deadly from
the foul line!
She’ll develop consistency under Geno. How good will she be? 1st Team WNBA good.

Reaction Score
Just a note to the UCONN recruiting staff, Morgan et al. JANA EL ALFY's
Birthday is SEPTEMBER 20 , 2005. So we have two birthday girls this
month: Jana and Ines ( in Ines case her first birthday with the team!)
Happy ( early ) birthday ladies.!!

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Olivia is the real deal! If she wanted to stay in the midwest I was hoping she would go to
Wisconsin with our very own Marisa Moseley.

Is ElAlfy considered a member of the class of 2023?
Same question for Jocyte?

We have verbals from Shade/Arnold/Samuels so far...got room for 2 more?
For ElAfly and Jocyte? Yes.

Reaction Score
Jocyte is going to be a great player at the next level with her smarts and a fantastic quick release on her shot.........she would be devastating as part of the UConn offense......
She is obviously a lefty. Dribbles almost exclusively with her left, drives to her left, shoots with her left. (At least from this video)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom