September 2019 WNBA Discussions, scores, game info, pictures | Page 4 | The Boneyard

September 2019 WNBA Discussions, scores, game info, pictures

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Las Vegas looking to choke away another game that they've led most of the way thru. Sinking ship.

edit--the reverse jinx might be in play here...:rolleyes:

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Not a particularly good game for Sloot overall, but she got her 6 assists to get to 300 for the season. Let's see if that mark ever gets topped.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Las Vegas looking to choke away another game that they've led most of the way thru. Sinking ship.

edit--the reverse jinx might be in play here...:rolleyes:

Game was 89-89 but Vegas gets the next 5. Mercury still cant play any defense. Quick bounce in the playoff's I imagine,

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
No better place to be on a Sunday afternoon in LA than at a Sparks game. I finally got to see Pheesa as a professional in person. I rooted for her individually, and the Sparks collectively. I enjoyed just being in the arena with all of my fellow Sparks fans. Great game, lots of unbelievable plays. I loved every moment of it, and definitely worth the price of admission.

The Lynx play the Storm in Seattle on Wednesday.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Did anyone see the play where Bonner elbowed Young? I thought it looked suspect in real time, and then they showed the replay. The angle they had made it look like wind blew Young over. They replayed it once.

If the refs are going to review that play, let us watch it more than once. Instead of watching Bonner complain for 30 seconds, and watching Young sit on the floor with a towel on her head.

It looked like a bad call from the replay, but I would have loved to watch it a few more times. They didn't upgrade it to a flagrant, so I have a feeling it was the wind

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
To be honest, I did not feel that the Lynx played with enough urgency for a game with home court implications. Too much smiling while losing for my tastes. I guess we file that under ' its the last game in a long season, give them a break category'

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Arike couldn't finish out the season without more of her antics:

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Did anyone see the play where Bonner elbowed Young? I thought it looked suspect in real time, and then they showed the replay. The angle they had made it look like wind blew Young over. They replayed it once.

If the refs are going to review that play, let us watch it more than once. Instead of watching Bonner complain for 30 seconds, and watching Young sit on the floor with a towel on her head.

It looked like a bad call from the replay, but I would have loved to watch it a few more times. They didn't upgrade it to a flagrant, so I have a feeling it was the wind

I thought it looked like an acting job in real time. That was a strange sequence, about 4 or 5 possessions in a row with an offensive foul or traveling call.

Reaction Score
Dee out again, this time she injured her other hamstring.

Reaction Score
Katie Smith is now 17-51 in two seasons since taking over Liberty from Bill L. The team improved from 7 wins last year to 10 wins this year.
She is a combined 2-18 in the last 10 games of both seasons.

Reaction Score
Katie Smith is now 17-51 in two seasons since taking over Liberty from Bill L. The team improved from 7 wins last year to 10 wins this year.
Phoenix Mercury and LA Sparks both had home crowds over 13,000 for their regular season final home games today. Fantastic!!!
Kind of sad that the Mystics sell out at only 4,200. They left a lot of money on the table building that arena so small. Couldn’t build it for 6,000 and keep it homey?

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score

Is there any possible way she gets a third year? If she does I think it's proof the ownership just doesn't care.

Reaction Score
Is there any possible way she gets a third year? If she does I think it's proof the ownership just doesn't care.
Katie needs to go. I think the players are being good soldiers, but they have to be discouraged that they could coach the team better than she is. I suspect (hope?) new owner Tsai will move them to the Barkley Center next year and bring in a new coach to create excitement.

Reaction Score

On the one replay they showed it looked like Bonner's elbows only got air - by about 5". They only ended up calling a common (offensive) foul, but I didn't think she even deserved that. Great acting job IMO. Even the announcers were saying if she reacted THAT way then DeWanna MUST have got her in the head. So look at all the relays - geez!

Reaction Score
On the one replay they showed it looked like Bonner's elbows only got air - by about 5". They only ended up calling a common (offensive) foul, but I didn't think she even deserved that. Great acting job IMO. Even the announcers were saying if she reacted THAT way then DeWanna MUST have got her in the head. So look at all the relays - geez!
The Phoenix announcers are really, really bad.

Anyway, that call was probably karma balancing out for Sancho Lyttle's egregious acting job against Seattle the other night. ;)

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I watched part of LV vs. Phoenix. I thought an interesting little side note was that Griner and Cambage, who have both been very vocal about refs not calling all the fouls that are being committed against them, were guarding each other much of the time.

Reaction Score
I thought it looked like an acting job in real time. That was a strange sequence, about 4 or 5 possessions in a row with an offensive foul or traveling call.
The game was tied at 89. Then those I think an out of bounds pass, two travels and that terrible offensive call sealed the deal for the Mercury.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
The game was tied at 89. Then those I think an out of bounds pass, two travels and that terrible offensive call sealed the deal for the Mercury.

The Aces had at least 1 travel and 1 offensive foul called against them during that segment, it wasn't totally one sided.

Reaction Score
The Aces had at least 1 travel and 1 offensive foul called against them during that segment, it wasn't totally one sided.
I didn't mean it like the refs costed them it. The turnovers were pretty legit calls, and Bonner should know that swinging her elbows that quickly can make it look like a foul. I meant it like, it sealed the deal for them because they are not a very good defensive team. If they take away possessions from themselves in a game that close, they aren't going to win.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Katie needs to go. I think the players are being good soldiers, but they have to be discouraged that they could coach the team better than she is. I suspect (hope?) new owner Tsai will move them to the Barkley Center next year and bring in a new coach to create excitement.

I suspect that the new owner -- who if memory holds took over the team fairly deep in the offseason -- wanted to see how everything played out, including the coaching. With the move to Brooklyn, I'd have to think a new approach is almost called for....

Reaction Score
I suspect that the new owner -- who if memory holds took over the team fairly deep in the offseason -- wanted to see how everything played out, including the coaching. With the move to Brooklyn, I'd have to think a new approach is almost called for....
Last two years a 15-19 record gets you in the final playoff spot
Mercury this year and last year Dallas Wings with Cambage and Diggens-Smith

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Last two years a 15-19 record gets you in the final playoff spot
Mercury this year and last year Dallas Wings with Cambage and Diggens-Smith

Point taken, but in regards to the Liberty, they're not even close to that mark:
2018: 7-27
2019: 10-24

I've got to think Joseph Tsai has slightly higher aspirations, particularly how the other professional basketball team he now owns -- the Brooklyn Nets -- methodically raised themselves out of the dust.
Let's hope same knd of approach is taken and the stronger elements of the Liberty are added to and refined.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom