Sedona Prince is in the Portal [merged threads] | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Sedona Prince is in the Portal [merged threads]

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Even if she is done with basketball, why would she want to leave UT for "medical reasons"?

Normally, I would think that means she wants to be closer to home, but she's already as close to home as possible.

Maybe she chose UT for basketball reasons and wants to be somewhere else for academic purposes if she's not playing basketball?

It would be a shame if that injury ended her basketball career but leg breaks are no joke.
More to the point. Why would she need to list her name in the transfer portal if she’s done playing basketball? She can transfer anywhere she wants if she isn’t interested in a basketball scholarship.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Agree with everything you say, but in the back of my head this little voice keeps saying, “a bird in the hand.” Whoever the first legitimate Big is that commits to UConn, that’s the one I want.
My voices are more an angel and a devil both sitting on my shoulder. The angel wants Prince at UCONN. The devil keeps playing with my fears of Prince ending up at ND-AND GETTING A WAIVER APPROVED for this coming season.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
So...do we think Karen is catching on yet that she hasn’t done the best job of developing talent and improving her team? Or is she in Hollyland where she’s in denial she might be the problem?

I would really like to see her succeed but as each passing year goes by and the talent regresses, I am getting more disheartened. At one point Joyner Holmes was even with Cox and Chrystal Dangerfield In talent, potential and effort. Not so much anymore. :oops:

Reaction Score
B
Agree with everything you say, but in the back of my head this little voice keeps saying, “a bird in the hand.” Whoever the first legitimate Big is that commits to UConn, that’s the one I want.
Based on the past 4 or so years of NOT getting but one (albeit a terrific kid and post) I too tend to want that bird caged in a Uconn Uniform, I'm tired of posting "Uconn needs an EFFECTIVE TRUE BIG". That said --that's what Geno needs NOW.
@CocoHusky opinions go far and deep with me, I respect his thoughts and words. Yet I note he was NOT emphatic in not taking her NOW, he simply pointed out the other side of the discussion IMO.
Question for YOU and @CocoHusky --should Geno take this BIRD with available scholarships how does this impact future recruits.
If plenty available (hypothetical) what may be the potential to not getting a really good Post????(I know crystal ball thing) just a good guess wanted.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
More to the point. Why would she need to list her name in the transfer portal if she’s done playing basketball? She can transfer anywhere she wants if she isn’t interested in a basketball scholarship.

Thought about that, too, but I wasn't sure how that worked. I was thinking of EDD, I guess. But she predated the portal and needed an NLI waiver because she wanted to play volleyball at Delaware.

Maybe she's not planning on playing bball right away but wants to keep options open?

Simplest explanation is definitely that it's just a convenient explanation for a transfer.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
A few thoughts on Prince.
-She is a terrific player.
-Is she recovered? The original injury was a lower leg fracture that required surgery August 2018. Leg fracture requiring surgery is tricky stuff for tall WCBB players. Strange that a player is considering transferring after a full year of sitting.
-Comparing Prince to Kara Wolters is pretty blasphemous. Kara was NPOY and Olympian.
-Prince will likely have to sit a year regardless of where she transfers based on the NCAA ruling in the T'ea Cooper case. Cooper sat a year at TN due to injury and part of the basis of SC's waiver appeal was that she had already sat a year therefore should not have to sit another year.
-Don't see Prince ending up at UCONN because ironically the transfer rules were put in place to avoid a situation where a group of kids decide to transfer to one school and "pile" on. That piling on perception might adversely affect Westbrooks appeal.
-Prince needs a demanding coach & Aston ain't it! Late in her HS career and while at USA basketball Prince's game drifted away from the post to more of a perimeter oriented player that was reminiscent of Jessica Shepard first two year at Nebraska where she fell in love with shooting the three ball and became allergic to the paint.
-If Prince transfers talks resume add Virginia as a possible destination for Prince because Tina Thompson was one of the main reasons she recommitted to Texas.
You're spot on with every point, I think, with one exception. With the number of transfers going to Vic then perhaps the "piling on" perspective would apply more to MSS than UConn, which has had far more transfers out in three years (4) than transfers in (2). Especially if Prince has to sit a year.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
So...do we think Karen is catching on yet that she hasn’t done the best job of developing talent and improving her team? Or is she in Hollyland where she’s in denial she might be the problem?
I would really like to see her succeed but as each passing year goes by and the talent regresses, I am getting more disheartened. At one point Joyner Holmes was even with Cox and Chrystal Dangerfield In talent, potential and effort. Not so much anymore. :oops:
Haven't heard from our Texas posters in a while. I will certainly look it up but I believe Aston is close to the end of her current contract. Will make for a very interesting reckoning because she has clearly under achieved but this is TX and WCBB-will the university even care?

Reaction Score
"Texas center Sedona Prince, a McDonald’s All-American from Liberty Hill, has added her name to the transfer portal and will explore leaving the Longhorns, a UT spokesman told the American-Statesman."

Six foot seven inch player with 4 years of eligibility left entering the transfer portal, although likely not eligible until 2020-21 season. Let the salivating begin among those Boneyarders crying out for bigs, bigs, bigs.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Haven't heard from our Texas posters in a while. I will certainly look it up but I believe Aston is close to the end of her current contract. Will make for a very interesting reckoning because she has clearly under achieved but this is TX and WCBB-will the university even care?
I don't want to compare Holly to Aston too closely because Karen is actually a coach. But when you compare the amount of talent and their resultant success in the NCAA's there are similarities. Aston however never had a overall number 1 recruit and turn her into mush, and Aston never had to replace a legend. I once had faith in Karen, but not now. There is a dumpster fire there waiting to happen.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Another thing is that if Prince has to sit out another year--regardless of where she goes--she would be draft eligible after her "sophomore" season. If she has already graduated by then would she stick around for a year or two just to play college basketball?

Perhaps Geno is willing to have her for only 2-3 years. What would it hurt to have Prince waiting in the wings to play in 2020-2021? IF she has to sit out another year (which she may not have to do), It would give her time to heal completely, get stronger, and learn the system while continuing her pursuit of an education. Even if she'll only be available for 2 years, I say take her if you can get her. 50% of something is always better than 100% of nothing.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
The transfer portal has only been around for two years now but I'm struggling to think of a high profile WCBB who decided to explore transferring and then decided to stay. Taya Reimer was initially talked into to staying at ND but that only lasted until she could complete her degree. Diamond decided to return to TN and then changed her mind for overseas. Can anyone think of another such a player?
The guard at Texas who wanted to leave but was talked into staying for her sophomore season has now decided to transfer this season. Also Coco, it is not blasphemous to compare Prince to Wolters at the same point in their careers. Prince could do more things than Wolters could do at the same age.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Lastly if the ND roster has a "stable of bigs" I'm sure that would be news to Muffet and a pleasant surprise to @Dillon77 and @Orangutan.

Excuse me for the delay, but I just got back from The Pit (the old practice gym for ND's hoops teams), the basement and closets of the Joyce Center and, dang, can't find any more bigs. Mik Vaughn (6'3") and Danielle Cosgrove (6'4") -- those nice Philly Belles alums -- told me they were the only ones, but I had to triple check.
Rats, no one else. :rolleyes:;)

Hopefully, Muffet and Matt McGraw will stop tending their garden before summer session starts and hit the air/road for Texas. Bri Turner was the last big (last player, period) for ND from Texas and would love to keep that string renewed. However, I agree with Coco in that Sedona's arrival would feel more like that of Ms. Shepard.

BTW, agree with Tina Thompson reaching out from Virginia. Gosh knows, there's a program in need of top talent...now!

And, being a former Long Islander, I hope the long trip from there to Austin turns out to be worth it for Celeste Taylor, the LI Lutheran product who does nothing but make and provide contributions to the U.S. National Team.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Based on the past 4 or so years of NOT getting but one (albeit a terrific kid and post) I too tend to want that bird caged in a Uconn Uniform, I'm tired of posting "Uconn needs an EFFECTIVE TRUE BIG". That said --that's what Geno needs NOW.
@CocoHusky opinions go far and deep with me, I respect his thoughts and words. Yet I note he was NOT emphatic in not taking her NOW, he simply pointed out the other side of the discussion IMO. Question for YOU and @CocoHusky --should Geno take this BIRD with available scholarships how does this impact future recruits.
If plenty available (hypothetical) what may be the potential to not getting a really good Post????(I know crystal ball thing) just a good guess wanted.
For me it not a simple yes or no answer and many related factors have to come into play.
The primary one is the status of Prince's leg, more specifically, is she able to suit up and play this fall?
If the answer to that simple question is yes then IMO Geno should take her.
Secondary Considerations:
Q: Is Prince's waiver for immediate eligibility likely to be approved?
A: I don't think so based on the NCAA disapproving Cooper's waiver request.

Q: Is the NCAA likely to approve two waivers ( Westbrook & Prince) for UCONN or any school for 2 top 10 ranked players in the same year?
A: Hell nah!

Q: What is the impact on recruiting on UCONN recruiting specifically Cardoso?
A: Assuming the answers to either of the two questions directly above is no, Cardoso and Prince are the same class =2020. I would take Cardoso because she is a true, at the basket post where as Prince would have to be coached up to stay and play down there. Prince's injury history also unfavorably applies here and a Cardoso & ONO front court IMO would be better than a Prince & ONO front court. Cardoso is likely to be on the UCONN roster at least 1 more year than Prince since Prince is WNBA eligible in April 2022.

Since there is no certainty here I would throw all that out the window and go get Prince mainly to keep her away from South Carolina or especially ND. Geno is not me and I can guarantee he has more information and will do what he does best-make great decisions. Geno also know how to make 3 post players on the same roster work harmoniously.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
The guard at Texas who wanted to leave but was talked into staying for her sophomore season has now decided to transfer this season. Also Coco, it is not blasphemous to compare Prince to Wolters at the same point in their careers. Prince could do more things than Wolters could do at the same age.
That is a solid point on the Prince to Wolters comparison. Never saw Kara play in HS so I will concede the point.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Exactly. If she’s in the portal, she’s not quitting basketball.

Reaction Score
I don't want to compare Holly to Aston too closely because Karen is actually a coach. But when you compare the amount of talent and their resultant success in the NCAA's there are similarities. Aston however never had a overall number 1 recruit and turn her into mush, and Aston never had to replace a legend. I once had faith in Karen, but not now. There is a dumpster fire there waiting to happen.

There might be hope for Collier, but I don’t see Holmes being anything other then mush this season. Texas has done ok in a down big 12 conference, only time will tell if they will keep Aston around or let her go.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score

Seems as if Megan Walker dodged a bullet on that front...

Reaction Score
The only other thing I can think of--also brought up by a poster on the Irish board--is that "medical reasons" is jargon intended to help her play immediately elsewhere.

That's what I initially thought as well. Sounds to me like she is planting the seed on using "medical reasons" as the basis of an immediate eligibility request. Tibula/Fibula fractures are usually very straight forward. They usually always require an internal fixation surgery( which makes them sound worse than they are), but most are back in 6 months.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
There might be hope for Collier, but I don’t see Holmes being anything other then mush this season. Texas has done ok in a down big 12 conference, only time will tell if they will keep Aston around or let her go.
Seems as if Megan Walker dodged a bullet on that front...
Out of a sense of fairness, in the interest of completeness, and because I trying not to give up on Karen entirely: Texas has had a few transfers both in and out during her tenure. Is there a player(s) we can point to that we can absolutely say that player did better under another coach or system? Take Jatarie White for example highly ranked, Dawn could get anything out of her, Karen got pretty much the same. Put another way have we & and the recruiting services been over valuing the playas that have gone to Texas under her?

Last edited:

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Umm, a lot closer to Holly than you indicate: Joyner Holmes was #1 her HS soph yr and ended #2 and most would consider her mush now. Heck Mercedes Russell skills would be considered a huge leap for JH to get to now. Jody Conradt was a legend who still hangs over the program and while no where close the orbit Summit had was still pretty strong. Karen did have the buffer era of the Gail years that were a disaster but still Karen has not remotely lived up to the pay, focus and efforts that Texas has given this program. It might be second to softball now but it is still their main Women’s sports focus. She can handle press conferences significantly better than Holly “I don’t know” Warlick but the in game coaching, lack of offensive strategy and no team development are about the same.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
First of all, June is very unusually late for an out-transfer announcement. Did she need these two-and-a-half months since the end of Texas's season to realize she wanted out? I gotta wonder what happened there.

Secondly, this whole "transferring for medical reasons" makes no sense to me, not even as a lobbying tactic with the NCAA. The phrase doesn't even make sense. "Medical reasons" would be the basis for a "medical hardship waiver" (e.g., so she doesn't lose her freshman year of eligibility). But what could possibly be the medical basis for a waiver exempting her from the sit-out year in 2019-20? Unless she's planning to argue that she's received inadequate medical care at UT, or that she'll receive better medical care at her destination school, I'm not seeing it.

Reaction Score
Even if she is done with basketball, why would she want to leave UT for "medical reasons"?

Normally, I would think that means she wants to be closer to home, but she's already as close to home as possible.

Maybe she chose UT for basketball reasons and wants to be somewhere else for academic purposes if she's not playing basketball?

It would be a shame if that injury ended her basketball career but leg breaks are no joke.
Maybe she means that UT makes her sick. Then it all fits together.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom