Sedona Prince is in the Portal [merged threads] | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Sedona Prince is in the Portal [merged threads]

skilz

Final Four Bound!
Reaction Score
Haven't heard from our Texas posters in a while. I will certainly look it up but I believe Aston is close to the end of her current contract. Will make for a very interesting reckoning because she has clearly under achieved but this is TX and WCBB-will the university even care?

Karen Aston's contract is through the 2019-2020 season and includes language for further extensions at the discretion of the AD.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Karen Aston's contract is through the 2019-2020 season and includes language for further extensions at the discretion of the AD.
She got her last extension in 2016 on the heels of an Elite 8 run. At that time Texas had improved immensely in her 4 years at the helm and were raking in the elite recruits (and not having them transfer out).

Texas women's coach Aston gets extension

How times have changed. Considering this very disappointing past year or two, and the fact that no new extension has been announced with less than a year remaining on her contract, I gotta think she's under scrutiny.

Reaction Score
I think that Geno ought to give her a scholarship, cultivate her and make sure that no one else gets her where she may end up playing against UConn.

Reaction Score
Out of a sense of fairness, in the interest of completeness, and because I trying not to give up on Karen entirely: Texas has had a few transfers both in and out during her tenure. Is there a player(s) we can point to that we can absolutely say that player did better under another coach or system? Take Jatarie White for example highly ranked, dawn could get anything out of her, Karen got pretty much the same. Put another way have we & and the recruiting services been over valuing the playas that have gone to Texas under her?
White is a prime example of evaluators having no idea of what’s under the hood on many of these kids. As you know, I think they overhype and overvalue many HS players. And because they are desperate for size, even the college coaches overvalue the bigs. They overlook the lack of dog in them and that’s why I’m keeping an interested eye on DeBerry.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
White is a prime example of evaluators having no idea of what’s under the hood on many of these kids. As you know, I think they overhype and overvalue many HS players. And because they are desperate for size, even the college coaches overvalue the bigs. They overlook the lack of dog in them and that’s why I’m keeping an interested eye on DeBerry.
My sources of which @Tonyc is very familiar assures me that DeBerry has dogg for days and just as much skill.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Out of a sense of fairness, in the interest of completeness, and because I trying not to give up on Karen entirely: Texas has had a few transfers both in and out during her tenure. Is there a player(s) we can point to that we can absolutely say that player did better under another coach or system? Take Jatarie White for example highly ranked, dawn could get anything out of her, Karen got pretty much the same. Put another way have we & and the recruiting services been over valuing the playas that have gone to Texas under her?
Coco, if I may for clarity, Jatarie missed significant time her freshman year on a strong team. Her sophomore year she was buried behind Wilson and Alaina Coates and saw the 2 transfers of Gray and Davis sitting there. She was probably over ranked but hey even you have noted bigs take longer to develop. Jatarie had 3 years at Texas and didn’t really improve there either. But other than Brooke McCarty (her Junior year was awesome-Senior year not so much) who’s game has improved at Texas? With the 10-12 AAs Karen has brought in, the services couldn’t have over-ranked them all.
I thought you had an interesting comment about her contract so I looked it up-she received an extension 3 years ago thru 2019-20 (next year) at $770k per year with $220k in bonuses available. That’s near the high end of the spectrum so it could be interesting If just having Texas as a top 20 team is enough. Plus attendance hasn’t really ticked up either. If they want to keep her, the summer extension season is here so we will know soon enough.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Agree with everything you say, but in the back of my head this little voice keeps saying, “a bird in the hand.” Whoever the first legitimate Big is that commits to UConn, that’s the one I want.

Agreed. OD, that "bird in the hand" theory has been tried, tested and proven true. It's a theory that has stood the test of time down through the generations. One rarely comes up short taking that "sure thing." You never know when a committed recruit is going to renege (or leave early), thereby disrupting your entire plan for next year and forcing you to scramble to try and grab any legitimate recruits that may be left. :eek: Sounds familiar doesn't it.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
In reading the 'medical' and the recent follow-up procedure and the basically full year on crutches, I wonder if the prognosis might be a further 6-9 months of rehab and recovery. Even with modern practices a player on crutches is losing significant muscle/conditioning, and you do not get back to basketball for quite some time.

If that is the case, she may only be able to play the second semester this year making a year of sitting out after transfer less of a penalty for her.

On a side note - coaches 'talking a player out of transferring' seems like a losing proposition to me. Hard to believe that player is running through walls for you after being so lukewarm about being on the team.

We had another player with a rod in her leg - Barb Turner? can't remember exactly.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Agree with everything you say, but in the back of my head this little voice keeps saying, “a bird in the hand.” Whoever the first legitimate Big is that commits to UConn, that’s the one I want.
Guys, who has established a two big maximum. I don't understand the logic. This is Women's basketball. A very high percentage of players play all 4r years. Myself, I prefer a 3-4 big rotation matching different skill sets and keeping players fresh and free from fouls.

Reaction Score
She certainly would be a welcome addition to the program, and definitely fill a need as UConn could use another post player that many here in the yard have been asking/hoping for since the season ended.

Unless you're running a double post offense, a 2nd post "just" gives depth. Anyone who is concerned about size should want forwards.

Reaction Score
Baylor has certainly continued to bolster it's reputation as the leading WBB program in Texas and I don't see that changing any time soon.............Aston can certainly recruit but her in game adjustments have been less then stellar in the past few years........

Reaction Score
Unless you're running a double post offense, a 2nd post "just" gives depth. Anyone who is concerned about size should want forwards.

I think ONO could play at the four a bit...................she's not had a chance to show off her agility or her impressive mid range game yet but it's there................

Reaction Score
I agree, while Prince could turn into a good player down the road, I’m not sure if she can play with Liv for long stretches at a time, I think Reese would be a better fit.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
There is one paramount question to first get out mof the way. Is she cleared to play and scrimmaging. If not, then what is the point? That hurdle cleared, it becomes where is her head?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
That's a pretty strange story. If she gets bullied everywhere she goes, makes you wonder why.
It seems to me the bullying was largely confined to a group of kids she grew up with in Liberty Hill, TX, although the 4th grade coach telling her to quit basketball is a bit odd. Liberty Hill HS is about 40 miles from downtown Austin, TX, so going away to college didn't create a lot of distance from her tormenters.

Reaction Score
There is one paramount question to first get out mof the way. Is she cleared to play and scrimmaging. If not, then what is the point? That hurdle cleared, it becomes where is her head?
There are lots of questions rattling around in my head:

Who is paying her medical bills? She broke her leg at USAB camp ... is USAB liable? and for how much. How about Texas ... had she enrolled at Texas yet? if not are they on the hook for the medical bills or a share of the bills with USAB?

(above) Is she cleared to play and scrimmage? Her freshman year is a redshirt no problem, but say her rehab extends into 2020 and she is cleared in January 2020 that makes a "medical hardship" a problem. (A doctor must state she was unable to play). In this case a "transfer" might help her with getting a sixth year to complete her eligibility.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I am sure both USA basketball and UT have insurance covering all of their athletes and the transition from one insurance policy to another is pretty seamless. On a big time condition like what Prince has, the insurance companies themselves may work out some agreement, but 'pre-existing conditions' are no longer supposed to be an issue with transfer of policy.

Now if there were to be lawsuits re treatment and lost earnings potential ... whole different can of worms.

Reaction Score
Guys, who has established a two big maximum. I don't understand the logic. This is Women's basketball. A very high percentage of players play all 4r years. Myself, I prefer a 3-4 big rotation matching different skill sets and keeping players fresh and free from fouls.

I would as well, but you are not going to get more than 2 blue chip posts to commit to the same school. Each year there are probably only a handful of posts that are good enough to play at UConn. These elite posts want to play, and play right away. They are not going to go to the same school as another elite post and maybe not start for a few years.

Reaction Score

Who is paying her medical bills? She broke her leg at USAB camp ... is USAB liable? and for how much. How about Texas ... had she enrolled at Texas yet? if not are they on the hook for the medical bills or a share of the bills with USAB?

(above) Is she cleared to play and scrimmage? Her freshman year is a redshirt no problem, but say her rehab extends into 2020 and she is cleared in January 2020 that makes a "medical hardship" a problem. (A doctor must state she was unable to play). In this case a "transfer" might help her with getting a sixth year to complete her eligibility.

Not sure about the financials, but the NCAA has a 5/4 rule. This means that an athlete only has 5 years to complete their 4 years of eligibility. WIth Prince sitting out last year, and her losing a year this year by transferring, she will only have 3 years left.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

Some of the same thoughts come a creeping ... But I'd rather wait for 2020 kids (hey Geno offer more than 1 maybe?) and since I'm now totally into OT Music Threads this little ditty crept into my head about Sedona's situation:

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I would as well, but you are not going to get more than 2 blue chip posts to commit to the same school. Each year there are probably only a handful of posts that are good enough to play at UConn. These elite posts want to play, and play right away. They are not going to go to the same school as another elite post and maybe not start for a few years.
This hasn't seemed to be a problem for Baylor, nor for Oregon State (although I recognize that their posts, while tall, are not as highly rated as those at Baylor).

Since fouls are usually a problem even for elite posts (especially when they are less experienced in the college game), getting minutes for a competent backup should not be an issue. Natalie Butler got plenty of minutes in her "senior" year at UConn despite not being a starter, and those minutes were not generally in garbage time. She played key minutes against both Texas and Baylor.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom