Sedona Prince is in the Portal [merged threads] | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Sedona Prince is in the Portal [merged threads]

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
One thing I'm not sure of is how the recruitment of Kamilla Cardoso plays into this. There are signs that UConn may be a front runner there. If UConn thinks Cardoso is leaning their way, does that influence their interest in Prince? Because from a purely player standpoint she should interest them dearly. I can't imagine any scenario in which UConn would want Cardoso and Prince together when they already have Nelson-Ododa.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Another thing is that if Prince has to sit out another year--regardless of where she goes--she would be draft eligible after her "sophomore" season. If she has already graduated by then would she stick around for a year or two just to play college basketball?

Reaction Score
One thing I'm not sure of is how the recruitment of Kamilla Cardoso plays into this. There are signs that UConn may be a front runner there. If UConn thinks Cardoso is leaning their way, does that influence their interest in Prince? Because from a purely player standpoint, she should interest them dearly. I can't imagine any scenario in which UConn would want Cardoso and Prince together when they already have Nelson-Ododa.
Prince is better.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Hmmmm...

D8Tc6pwXsAAoACh.jpg

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I wouldn’t rule UConn out of the Sedona Prince sweepstakes just yet. Obviously, the Huskies were one of the finalists when Prince originally decommitted from TX. Assessing the other finalists, I would suggest that OSU might be out of the picture due to their stable of Bigs. ND and Louisville could be options, but they both have Bigs on the roster next year and/or coming in.
The other advantage at UConn is that there is not another program in the country right now that projects to have the talent at the guard and wing spot as the Huskies over the next several seasons. Playing alongside Megan, Liv, Christyn, Aubrey, Ania, Paige, Nika & TBD practically insures multiple championship runs. Finally, no coaching staff does a better job developing post players than the Huskies. Hopefully, Prince has a level of understanding of these advantages. If not, I’m certain Geno will point them out.
A couple small points of departure. Again Prince is a Terrific player and UCONN would be fortunate to get her. I don't see this as a " sweepstakes" and I don't see her as make or break for UCONN because there are comparable players both in her class and in the classes surrounding when Prince would be eligible to play for UCONN.
Prince will have 4 years of eligibility, assuming the approval of a medical waiver (extending 5 years to 6) she would be eligible to start playing in 2020-21 season. The 2020 class has Cardoso, 2021 has DeBerry and 2022 has Betts. Prince will be WNBA draft eligible in April 2022. The minimum UCONN commitment to Prince would be two years, but the maximum is 5. Is a 2-5 year commitment to Prince worth the risk of potentially losing out on one of these players: Cardoso, DeBerry, or Betts? I would say no-but it is close.
Lastly if the ND roster has a "stable of bigs" I'm sure that would be news to Muffet and a pleasant surprise to @Dillon77 and @Orangutan.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I'm not sure she's even planning on playing based on that statement. Transferring for medical reasons?
That has been my assessment all along. Prince is currently not healthy and will be using next year to get healthy. She was also not at USA basketball trials for the U19 team a few weeks back.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
I'm not sure she's even planning on playing based on that statement. Transferring for medical reasons?

Even if she is done with basketball, why would she want to leave UT for "medical reasons"?

Normally, I would think that means she wants to be closer to home, but she's already as close to home as possible.

Maybe she chose UT for basketball reasons and wants to be somewhere else for academic purposes if she's not playing basketball?

It would be a shame if that injury ended her basketball career but leg breaks are no joke.

Last edited:

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Even if she is done with basketball, what would she want to leave UT for "medical reasons"?

Normally, I would think that means she wants to be closer to home, but she's already as close to home as possible.

Maybe she chose UT for basketball reasons and wants to be somewhere else for academic purposes if she's not playing basketball?

It would be a shame if that injury ended her basketball career but leg breaks are no joke.

Pretty much my thoughts.

And I may be off here, but I worry that a break of that severity in a person of her size may not heal properly.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Why pay for a college education when you can get a free ride through basketball? If I am the parent I'd encourage her to stick with the scholarship otherwise she will be working for the money.

Even if she is done with basketball, why would she want to leave UT for "medical reasons"?

skilz

Final Four Bound!
Reaction Score
I knew she had another surgery recently. Looks to be mid February to remove a rod from her leg.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Someone knowledgeable helped her with this statement. Seems like this is base on the start of applying to the NCAA for eligibility (not necessarily for next year, but possibly receiving another redshirt year).

Would she lose a year of eligibility if the NCAA made her sit out another year for transferring?

And if she can graduate and be draft eligible by 2022 why would she even bother? Play three years, get your degree, and turn pro.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Why pay for a college education when you can get a free ride through basketball? If I am the parent I'd encourage her to stick with the scholarship otherwise she will be working for the money.

Oh, I'm assuming she'd only be quitting basketball if she's physically unable to play.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Would she lose a year of eligibility if the NCAA made her sit out another year for transferring?
And if she can graduate and be draft eligible by 2022 why would she even bother? Play three years, get your degree, and turn pro.
I don't think so. That would simply be a application to extend the window from 5 to 6 years to use the 4 full years of eligibility. She would also not be required to put this medical waiver in place until the 5 year window has expired I.e. 4 years from now at which point she will be two years WNBA eligible. This is getting strange. February surgery to remove the rods makes sense & would have been ~6 months after initial surgery to insert the rods (August 2018).

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
With the injury she essentially gets a mulligan on her original college choice at no cost to her. I like our chances.

(Still doomed.)

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
I don't think so. That would simply be a application to extend the window from 5 to 6 years to use the 4 full years of eligibility. She would also not be required to put this medical waiver in place until the 5 year window has expired I.e. 4 years from now at which point she will be two years WNBA eligible.

Yeah, so I'm not sure why she'd need to go begging for a second redshirt year at this point. Which, again, makes her prepared statement even odder. Hopefully, she explains her intentions clearly soon.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Yeah, so I'm not sure why she'd need to go begging for a second redshirt year at this point. Which, again, makes her prepared statement even odder. Hopefully, she explains her intentions clearly soon.
Yea this is about immediate eligibility at her next stop. "Received transfer release" is code for Texas is not going to oppose her petition to play immediately- that's the first big hurdle.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
A couple small points of departure. Again Prince is a Terrific player and UCONN would be fortunate to get her. I don't see this as a " sweepstakes" and I don't see her as make or break for UCONN because there are comparable players both in her class and in the classes surrounding when Prince would be eligible to play for UCONN.
Prince will have 4 years of eligibility, assuming the approval of a medical waiver (extending 5 years to 6) she would be eligible to start playing in 2020-21 season. The 2020 class has Cardoso, 2021 has DeBerry and 2022 has Betts. Prince will be WNBA draft eligible in April 2022. The minimum UCONN commitment to Prince would be two years, but the maximum is 5. Is a 2-5 year commitment to Prince worth the risk of potentially losing out on one of these players: Cardoso, DeBerry, or Betts? I would say no-but it is close.
Lastly if the ND roster has a "stable of bigs" I'm sure that would be news to Muffet and a pleasant surprise to @Dillon77 and @Orangutan.
Agree with everything you say, but in the back of my head this little voice keeps saying, “a bird in the hand.” Whoever the first legitimate Big is that commits to UConn, that’s the one I want.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom