Sedona Prince is in the Portal [merged threads] | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Sedona Prince is in the Portal [merged threads]

Reaction Score
I don’t know what to say! Maybe, they just love their life there and wish to stay close to home and family! Maybe she liked UT better than Houston. After all, it’s still closer than UCONN! As for the remark about their loyalty to Texas over the US. Is this really a where we are in sports now? Questioning a kid’s loyalty to her country because she doesn’t sign where we think she should?

I never said that, I only said that many Texans put Texas ahead of the US in their loyalties. I have had Texan relatives and it applied to them. And they said it proudly. Doesn't mean they don't love the US.

I distinctly remember a college football game in Texas that was played shortly (within a week) of Kennedy's murder. When the anthem was played most fans paid no attention. The talking continued and at least a half of the crowd were sitting. The anthem was followed by "The Eyes of Texas" and everyone stood, men removed their hats and hands went to hearts. Tears were seen in the eyes of many women. The silence lasted until "their" anthem was over. It was a nationally televised game and was a huge stain on Texas's image and they were roundly criticized by news media throughout the country. Their president was murdered in Dallas and most at that game appeared to not care. After that, every national game in Texas featured groups like the Mormon Tabernacle Choir singing "This is My Country, and other super-patriot tunes. That practice soon spread throughout sports but it started on a sad week in history in Texas.

Lots of players stay close to home but the apron strings of Texas are longer and stronger. I stand by my comment that in the minds of many Texans, their state comes first. I have no problem with that but it is a real thing.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I don’t know what to say! Maybe, they just love their life there and wish to stay close to home and family! Maybe she liked UT better than Houston. After all, it’s still closer than UCONN! As for the remark about their loyalty to Texas over the US. Is this really a where we are in sports now? Questioning a kid’s loyalty to her country because she doesn’t sign where we think she should?
It was an observation about Texans. And an apt one in my experience.

Reaction Score
Maybe it has to do with Texas starting out as an independent nation that won independence from Spain on their own.

Sifaka

O sol nascerá amanhã.
Reaction Score
In the interest of lightening things up a bit, I'll try to tell a little story that casts light—or shade—on the differences that bind us.

An old fahmuh from my beloved Maine (The way life should be...) was visiting relatives in Texas. He went for a drive, got lost, and stopped on the roadside to ask directions of a local. After the fellow in the ten gallon hat had told him where he was, and how to get to his destination, the old Mainuh tried to make polite conversation.

How big's yuh fahhm, mistuh?

The Texan replied. (Imagine this in your notion of a rural Texas accent.)

Wayull, 'round here it's called a ranch, an I kin start drivin from one corner at sunup, an not get to the other corner 'til sunset.

The old Mainer scratched his chin, got quiet and pensive for a minute and replied,
Ayuh! I hahd a cah like that once too.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
One might think UConn would be at or near the top of her list if she indeed chooses to transfer. Sounds as though UConn made her final four last time around.

After decommitting from Texas her sophomore year, Prince considered Oregon State, Notre Dame, and UConn. She admitted that the decision was difficult, but knows she made the right one.

“It was definitely a hard choice, because those are three amazing schools,” she said, “but Texas just really stood out and it was the place I wanted to be.”

Reaction Score
One might think UConn would be at or near the top of her list if she indeed chooses to transfer. Sounds as though UConn made her final four last time around.

After decommitting from Texas her sophomore year, Prince considered Oregon State, Notre Dame, and UConn. She admitted that the decision was difficult, but knows she made the right one.

“It was definitely a hard choice, because those are three amazing schools,” she said, “but Texas just really stood out and it was the place I wanted to be.”

She 6’7 so she’ll head to Oregon State.

Reaction Score
if you believe in karma a Prince to UConn transfer would certainly complete the circle.................her injury was pretty severe but if she's recovered she would be an amazing pick up as she's one of the most athletic 6'7" players I've seen

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
if you believe in karma a Prince to UConn transfer would certainly complete the circle.......her injury was pretty severe but if she's recovered she would be an amazing pick up as she's one of the most athletic 6'7" players I've seen

Just thinking out loud, but she was playing for the U18 USA team when that injury occurred. Prior to that injury, I remember her coach spouting positives about both her ability and play, so wouldn't be surprised if Coach Jeff Walz -- said coach -- and Louisville enter the fray, if this visit to the portal holds.

Oh yes, I'd fully expect MM and/or her ND staff to pull her number of the (viral) rolodex, as well.... ;)

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
A few thoughts on Prince.
-She is a terrific player.
-Is she recovered? The original injury was a lower leg fracture that required surgery August 2018. Leg fracture requiring surgery is tricky stuff for tall WCBB players. Strange that a player is considering transferring after a full year of sitting.
-Comparing Prince to Kara Wolters is pretty blasphemous. Kara was NPOY and Olympian.
-Prince will likely have to sit a year regardless of where she transfers based on the NCAA ruling in the T'ea Cooper case. Cooper sat a year at TN due to injury and part of the basis of SC's waiver appeal was that she had already sat a year therefore should not have to sit another year.
-Don't see Prince ending up at UCONN because ironically the transfer rules were put in place to avoid a situation where a group of kids decide to transfer to one school and "pile" on. That piling on perception might adversely affect Westbrooks appeal.
-Prince needs a demanding coach & Aston ain't it! Late in her HS career and while at USA basketball Prince's game drifted away from the post to more of a perimeter oriented player that was reminiscent of Jessica Shepard first two year at Nebraska where she fell in love with shooting the three ball and became allergic to the paint.
-If Prince transfers talks resume add Virginia as a possible destination for Prince because Tina Thompson was one of the main reasons she recommitted to Texas.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
-Don't see Prince ending up at UCONN because ironically the transfer rules were put in place to avoid a situation where a group of kids decide to transfer to one school and "pile" on. That piling on perception might adversely affect Westbrooks appeal.

50616252_146395989693214_8474057949294375269_n.jpg

Reaction Score
Maybe it has to do with Texas starting out as an independent nation that won independence from Spain on their own.
Some historians dispute "on their own". They claim American immigration from the United States fomented revolt and stole Texas from Mexico.

William Travis was born in SC and raised in Alabama. He was only 26 when he died at the Alamo. He had only just arrived in Texas from Alabama where he was wanted for unpaid debts.

Jim Bowie was from Louisiana.

Stephen F Austin was born in Virginia, and moving at various times to Missouri (served in the Territorial Legislature), Arkansas and Louisiana. He took his father's empresario (sp) grant from Spain and led the "Old 300" into Texas. 297 families immigrating from the United States and settling along the Texas gulf coast.

Sam Houston was born in Virginia. His family moved to Tennessee where he ran away from home and lived for a time with the Cherokees. At one time was Governor of Tennessee but he got divorced midway thru his term of office, quit and move to Arkansas to live with his Cherokee friends (where Houston had helped Andrew Jackson remove the Tenn Cherokees). He moved to Texas in 1832 just in time for the revolution.

Last edited:

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Texas center Sedona Prince, a McDonald’s All-American from Liberty Hill, has added her name to the transfer portal and will explore leaving the Longhorns, a UT spokesman told the American-Statesman.

By putting your name into the NCAA database, any athlete can begin talking with other schools but can still return to the team. However, the coach has the option of cutting the athlete’s scholarship.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I wouldn’t rule UConn out of the Sedona Prince sweepstakes just yet. Obviously, the Huskies were one of the finalists when Prince originally decommitted from TX. Assessing the other finalists, I would suggest that OSU might be out of the picture due to their stable of Bigs. ND and Louisville could be options, but they both have Bigs on the roster next year and/or coming in.

Coco suggested the Tina Thompson connection at UVA, but as we’ve seen, many of the top transfers seem to matriculate to powerhouse programs, and UVA is certainly not a powerhouse in WBB at this point. UConn has a Big, but clearly wants another to compete with the likes of MS St, SC, Oregon, OSU and others that are loading up with 2-5 Bigs each.

The other advantage at UConn is that there is not another program in the country right now that projects to have the talent at the guard and wing spot as the Huskies over the next several seasons. Playing alongside Megan, Liv, Christyn, Aubrey, Ania, Paige, Nika & TBD practically insures multiple championship runs. Finally, no coaching staff does a better job developing post players than the Huskies. Hopefully, Prince has a level of understanding of these advantages. If not, I’m certain Geno will point them out.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
C'mon and let me know,
should I stay or should I go?
The transfer portal has only been around for two years now but I'm struggling to think of a high profile WCBB who decided to explore transferring and then decided to stay. Taya Reimer was initially talked into to staying at ND but that only lasted until she could complete her degree. Diamond decided to return to TN and then changed her mind for overseas. Can anyone think of another such a player?

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
if you believe in karma a Prince to UConn transfer would certainly complete the circle.......her injury was pretty severe but if she's recovered she would be an amazing pick up as she's one of the most athletic 6'7" players I've seen

She certainly would be a welcome addition to the program, and definitely fill a need as UConn could use another post player that many here in the yard have been asking/hoping for since the season ended.

Ask Oregon, you can never have too much height. They have 5 players 6’4” and above.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom