SEC 2019-2020 discussion | Page 12 | The Boneyard

SEC 2019-2020 discussion

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Me too but if you are going to diss UConn's opponents on a UConn board be ready to have your own words tossed back at you. ;)
I'm sure you don't disagree with the strength of the AAC. Of course, this season, the SEC doesn't look too hot.

Reaction Score
Updated power rating:

1. South Carolina - best two quality wins in the league (only two quality wins?), offset somewhat by the loss to Indiana, and struggles with Temple and Washington State. Teams are going to dust off the sag into the paint strategy and South Carolina will likely lose games when they do not shoot well from the perimeter. I happen to think this team could end up shooting well enough to not lose so many games, but I'll agree that might be the critical stat to watch (with fouls perhaps) as the season moves on.

2. Miss State - Managed to lose two games in a row, which was both hard to believe and totally expected per some of our Bulldogs-w fans. Still, I have more confidence in the core and upside of this team than I do in TAMU. I think "Lashes" choosing Miss State swung the conference last year. I think the big girl steered the ship but having the secondary rebounder, especially on offensive glass, carried them. Seems like that's missing.

3. TAMU - Getting drilled by Florida State on an off night actually might not end up looking like a particularly bad thing. I just think we know what Texas A&M is and that feels like a third place team.

4. Kentucky - this high simply because they are undefeated, but they are totally untested. Still, they'll fight you and it feels ok to leave them here for now.

5. Arkansas - they way they have been discussed you'd think they were under .500, but they only have one loss. Dungee is a hell of a player and I have to believe that since South Carolina could not stop her.

6. Tennessee - the luster has fallen off the Notre Dame win and the loss of a starter seems like it will be a problem. I'm not sure there is shame in losing an ugly game to a team with talent like Texas, but it was at home and I want to make myself feel better about losing to Arkansas last year.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
SC is the clear front runner right now. They still have work to do but they look very solid right now with some great showings vs Maryland and Baylor. Boston is a stud.

I might have A&M in front of MSU at this time but your top 3 overall is prob accurate. I feel like no one is necessarily unbeatable right now but there is a gap in the top part of the conference compared to the rest.

I think Kentucky is a very solid team but they still have yet to be tested. Louisville game will give us a better sense of where that team is at. They are still awaiting Chasity Patterson who will be eligible late next week, and she is expected to get significant time according to Coach Mitchell. Kentucky has been shooting the 3 ball very well lately which has been interesting to see.

Arkansas is a very interesting team, if they are lights out shooting they could beat almost anyone but when the 3's aren't falling they are certainly vulnerable to upsets, especially with their rebounding.

Tennessee just is not there yet. A lot of last years problems offensively came about in that Texas game. They struggled to shoot the ball or to run an offense. Their rebounding and athleticism will keep them in most games this year, they have some talented players. They really miss those transfers and Zaay Green.

LSU has some solid wins over Michigan St and Rutgers but got slapped in the face by a mediocre OU team on the road. They are gritty team defensively but mentally challenged shooting the ball outside of Pointer and Mitchell.

Reaction Score
SC is the clear front runner right now. They still have work to do but they look very solid right now with some great showings vs Maryland and Baylor. Boston is a stud.

I might have A&M in front of MSU at this time but your top 3 overall is prob accurate. I feel like no one is necessarily unbeatable right now but there is a gap in the top part of the conference compared to the rest.

I think Kentucky is a very solid team but they still have yet to be tested. Louisville game will give us a better sense of where that team is at. They are still awaiting Chasity Patterson who will be eligible late next week, and she is expected to get significant time according to Coach Mitchell. Kentucky has been shooting the 3 ball very well lately which has been interesting to see.

Arkansas is a very interesting team, if they are lights out shooting they could beat almost anyone but when the 3's aren't falling they are certainly vulnerable to upsets, especially with their rebounding.

Tennessee just is not there yet. A lot of last years problems offensively came about in that Texas game. They struggled to shoot the ball or to run an offense. Their rebounding and athleticism will keep them in most games this year, they have some talented players. They really miss those transfers and Zaay Green.

LSU has some solid wins over Michigan St and Rutgers but got slapped in the face by a mediocre OU team on the road. They are gritty team defensively but mentally challenged shooting the ball outside of Pointer and Mitchell.

you know, I forgot LSU won those two games. Should have been a top 7. I agree on the separation of the top three, though I'm telling you Arkansas scares the hell out of me. I'll keep saying it to hopefully make it go away. LSU could be #4 though. They certainly deserve to be mentioned with the others.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Updated power rating:

1. South Carolina - best two quality wins in the league (only two quality wins?), offset somewhat by the loss to Indiana, and struggles with Temple and Washington State. Teams are going to dust off the sag into the paint strategy and South Carolina will likely lose games when they do not shoot well from the perimeter. I happen to think this team could end up shooting well enough to not lose so many games, but I'll agree that might be the critical stat to watch (with fouls perhaps) as the season moves on.

2. Miss State - Managed to lose two games in a row, which was both hard to believe and totally expected per some of our Bulldogs-w fans. Still, I have more confidence in the core and upside of this team than I do in TAMU. I think "Lashes" choosing Miss State swung the conference last year. I think the big girl steered the ship but having the secondary rebounder, especially on offensive glass, carried them. Seems like that's missing.

3. TAMU - Getting drilled by Florida State on an off night actually might not end up looking like a particularly bad thing. I just think we know what Texas A&M is and that feels like a third place team.

4. Kentucky - this high simply because they are undefeated, but they are totally untested. Still, they'll fight you and it feels ok to leave them here for now.

5. Arkansas - they way they have been discussed you'd think they were under .500, but they only have one loss. Dungee is a hell of a player and I have to believe that since South Carolina could not stop her.

6. Tennessee - the luster has fallen off the Notre Dame win and the loss of a starter seems like it will be a problem. I'm not sure there is shame in losing an ugly game to a team with talent like Texas, but it was at home and I want to make myself feel better about losing to Arkansas last year.
Arkansas couldn't even beat a Cal team that was decimated by graduation, and they needed a big comeback late just to beat Wisconsin on a neutral court.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Arkansas couldn't even beat a Cal team that was decimated by graduation needed a big comeback late just to beat Wisconsin on a neutral court.

The Cal team that played UConn within single digits most of the way?

What's wrong with beating Wisconsin?

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
The Cal team that played UConn within single digits most of the way?

What's wrong with beating Wisconsin?
First of all, I'm the first to say UConn didn't look at all good in that game, yet: (a) UConn never trailed the entire game, and (b) Cal was no closer than 6 points after the first 11 minutes of the game.

Wisconsin lost by 17 to Colorado and by 19 to Georgia Tech. They also just eked out a 1-point win over North Dakota State, a 1-9 team. Not a single one of their results so far would suggest that they should be on par with an allegedly top 25 team.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Getting excited about opening night on Jan 2.

Same here!

Before SEC play begins, should we re-submit our updated predictions? I'm moving Miss St and Tennessee down 1 position with Kentucky up 1 position - 8 and below are a toss-up...

My updated predictions:
  1. South Carolina
  2. TAMU
  3. Miss St
  4. Kentucky
  5. Tennessee
  6. Arkansas
  7. LSU
  8. Missouri
  9. Vanderbilt
  10. Georgia
  11. Auburn
  12. Alabama
  13. Ole Miss
  14. Florida

Reaction Score
Mine would be:
1. South Carolina
2-13. Everyone else
14. Ole Miss

Reaction Score
Same here!

Before SEC play begins, should we re-submit our updated predictions? I'm moving Miss St and Tennessee down 1 position with Kentucky up 1 position - 8 and below are a toss-up...

My updated predictions:
  1. South Carolina
  2. TAMU
  3. Miss St
  4. Kentucky
  5. Tennessee
  6. Arkansas
  7. LSU
  8. Missouri
  9. Vanderbilt
  10. Georgia
  11. Auburn
  12. Alabama
  13. Ole Miss
  14. Florida
My 1st 4 in order are: 1. South Carolina, 2. Kentucky, 3. Mississippi State, 4. TAMU

Reaction Score
1. South Carolina: most favorable schedule plus ahead of schedule.

2. Miss state

3. Texas am

4. Kentucky

5. Arkansas

6. LSU

7 Tennessee

8. Georgia

9. Vandy

10. Auburn

11. Florida

12. Bama

13. Mizzou

14. Ole miss

Just a guess at the bottom.

Reaction Score
Some relevant results for the top 7 this week:

South Carolina Def Duke 89-46, def S. Dakota 73-60
Miss State: def. Louisiana 64-48, def USF 86 61; def UVA 72-61
TAMU: def Georgia Tech 6-48; def Montana State 78-67
Kentucky: def Cal 63-61
Arkansas: def. Little Rock 86-53
LSU: def FGCU 74-63;
Tennessee: lost to Stanford 78-51; def Portland St 88-61

Other notable:

UCLA 59 - Georgia 50
Vandy 76- Wash 74
Wake Forest 73- Florida 68
Princeton 68 - Mizzou 33
Louisiana 53 - Ole Miss 42

VFLfan

Vol For Life
Reaction Score
I think S Carolina is the clear cut # 1 at this point. They’ve played a tough schedule so far and beat the most respectable teams to date. Beyond them, I think it’s a toss up between Miss St, KY, A&M, Arkansas, LSU and Tenn...any of those could beat each other on any given night depending on shooting stats and commitment to defense. After that, a jumble of the rest and Ole Miss as last. ‍♂️

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
For some reason, I'm really worried about Kentucky and A&M. Miss State is going to present a challenge just because that team always gets up for SC.. but I think Kentucky is going to be a thorn this year.

Reaction Score
For some reason, I'm really worried about Kentucky and A&M. Miss State is going to present a challenge just because that team always gets up for SC.. but I think Kentucky is going to be a thorn this year.

Their pressure really bothered Carolina last year.

Henderson in particular turned it over quite a bit and it was that game, I think, that ended her six or so game run of big playing time and production. I'm actually still upset she lost that playing time, but it will be ok.

Reaction Score

I think they will falter with our pressure this year. Rhyne Howard is literally the show for Kentucky and I suspect Dawn will have Beal and Grissett on her. Shut her down and Kentucky doesn’t have a chance. I’m not as worried about Miss St and A&M as I am of Kentucky. Both teams really lack that “it” factor this year. Our hardest tests In SEC play will be @Kentucky and @arkansas IMO.

Reaction Score
I really don't see how Arkansas will compete with South Carolina with out a true low post presence, much like they were unable to compete against Mississippi State last year. Dungee and Ramirez would have to get really, really hot, and the refs would have to be very homered for Arkansas to get the win.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Their pressure really bothered Carolina last year.

Henderson in particular turned it over quite a bit and it was that game, I think, that ended her six or so game run of big playing time and production. I'm actually still upset she lost that playing time, but it will be ok.
We are so much better than last season, though, and Destanni has a year under her belt.

Last edited:

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Arkansas will win their share of games. I think they'll finish 5th in the SEC.
I haven't had a chance to really watch them. I saw brief snippets of a few games where they were blowing teams out so I switched to other games. At 33% of the season complete, I would say my revised SEC finish is:
1. SC (up 1)
2.Kentucky -yes, they have one superstar player that does more than...
3.Texas A&M super star gunner that still doesn't make her teammates better
4.MSU who are lacking offense and a dominant defensive presence (still young)
5.Arkansas-who I may move up to 4 after I see a full game
6.LSU-who I had 2 spots lower but this team has surprised me and will give good games to all of the above at home
7.Tenn-not sold on their basketball IQ, they are tall but still not smooth or savvy. It's Rennia and...??? Horston is still raw and has a lot to learn.
8.Georgia
9.Alabama
10.Auburn
11.Missouri-this part of the conference gets really, really bad
12.Vanderbilt-sad I have to put up so high but...
13.Florida-this team is atrocious
14.Ole Miss-this team is even worse...why even spend ANY money on a staff if they are going to be this pathetic...

Boxerpups4me

Semper Paratus
Reaction Score
As far as tennessee is concerned, the only sec wins i feel good about are fl and ole miss and maybe mizzou. That would put them at 11th, true bottom dweller status.

Boxerpups4me

Semper Paratus
Reaction Score
I noticed vandy just lost to uconn by 14 or so, but i expect tennessee will lose by much more. Bama has a nice 6 or 7 game winning streak on the lady vols. Lsu, georgia, and mizzou have been playing tenn really tough the past few seasons. Its going to be tough for tenn to even sniff that 6th place predicted finish.

Reaction Score
Tennessee 77 - Mizzou 66 - Mizzou hanging in this game probably is bad news for Tennessee, but then again maybe Mizzou is going to play a little better as the season goes on?

South Carolina 99 - Kentucky 72

I'm pretty astonished that South Carolina nearly scored 100 on any Kentucky team, but South Carolina simply dominated the boards and had too much size everywhere. And the pressure simply wasn't an issue.

Georgia 58 - Ole Miss 51

Miss State 93 - Florida 47

To me, Miss State's size and string of dominant stretches makes them the biggest threat to South Carolina. Have no idea what happened in this game, but putting this big a number and margin on a conference foe has my attention.

LSU 71 - Alabama 60 LSU plugging along.

Vanderbilt 77 - Auburn 55

I think Vanderbilt is probably the most improved team in the league this year and Auburn has to be the most disappointing.

TAMU 84 Arkansas 77 - I had this on in background. I sort of missed the flurry at the beginning that got TAMU separation. Arkansas could not really get back on even footing after that, but played them tough. I wasn't sitting and studying it, but it seemed like Carter played pretty well. TAMU has more pieces than Arkansas. I certainly view TAMU as capable of beating anyone in the league, though I'd still be a little surprised if they didn't lose three or four league games.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom