SEC 2019-2020 discussion | Page 8 | The Boneyard

SEC 2019-2020 discussion

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Some great dialogue here that has me posed to comment in one main thread-
@cockhrnleghrn while I agree 100% on Missouri as I think there will still be lots of CHIPPY play even with Sophie gone. Kentucky actually is more curious to me as they were a huge surprise last year and certainly snuck up on teams. This year they will have expectations and I will be watching them to see how MM (who trained under MM) handles it.

In response to @MSUFan2003 and cockinham that regardless of when Blair retires, I don’t see Vic ever leaving MSU. This is HIS program and it’s not like Football where huge money that TAM has to entice, this is WCBB that it’s only incremental money that MSU would/will allocate to Vic if necessary.

My two other curious teams are Arkansas who came on strong at the end of the year and Georgia who underachieved last year so will they rebound?

Everyone will be watching LV so I have only passing interest.
I still view A&M as the favorite with SC at #2 and MSU at #3. I also really like Bibby and would love to see her in the hunt for SEC PoY!

Reaction Score
Unpopular opinion. My sec sleeper is still LSU....

Don't mind me. Just sparking this forum up lol.

GoDawgs4

MSU and All That Too
Reaction Score
Unpopular opinion. My sec sleeper is still LSU....

Don't mind me. Just sparking this forum up lol.

Certainly possible. LSU has been down some but historically they are good WBB program.
I always liked it when they were called the Ben-Gals. It was a great play on words and incorporated the LSU mascot into it as well.

DefenseBB

Reaction Score

I love and respect your enthusiasm...however misguided it may be... :rolleyes:
hopefully the free fall that your attendance has been in reverses and fans start coming back.

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
Certainly possible. LSU has been down some but historically they are good WBB program.
I always liked it when they were called the Ben-Gals. It was a great play on words and incorporated the LSU mascot into it as well.
I just checked, Nikki Vargas is still the coach so not possible! ;)

Reaction Score
I'd never set LSU ceiling to winning the SEC. But making noise??? I've never seen Fargas disappoint with that lol. She's definitely got her team that top 4 for the SEC tournament a few times.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
I love and respect your enthusiasm...however misguided it may be... :rolleyes:
hopefully the free fall that your attendance has been in reverses and fans start coming back.
Thanks, I think a lot of fans are excited about this new coaching staff. I think the attendance will be better.

Reaction Score
I'd never set LSU ceiling to winning the SEC. But making noise??? I've never seen Fargas disappoint with that lol. She's definitely got her team that top 4 for the SEC tournament a few times.

I think Nikki is toast if she doesn't have a big year this year. Speaking with other members close in the athletic department and the boosters recently, this is her put up or shut up year. She is in year 9 and has not made it out the first round of the NCAAT since 2014. Our last AD essentially gave up on having standards for the WBB program, this one is much different. If she doesn't have a good regular season w/ an NCAAT run that has us moving out the first round of the NCAAT, they are likely going to pull the plug. If the recruiting class for this year doesn't turn out as she hopes, its going to cut the rope even shorter.

Reaction Score
I think Nikki is toast if she doesn't have a big year this year. Speaking with other members close in the athletic department and the boosters recently, this is her put up or shut up year. She is in year 9 and has not made it out the first round of the NCAAT since 2014. Our last AD essentially gave up on having standards for the WBB program, this one is much different. If she doesn't have a good regular season w/ an NCAAT run that has us moving out the first round of the NCAAT, they are likely going to pull the plug. If the recruiting class for this year doesn't turn out as she hopes, its going to cut the rope even shorter.
And not making it out of the first round with Lewis, Jackson, and Mitchell was not a good look - way too much talent for mediocrity there.

Reaction Score
They need to pull the plug regardless.

Reaction Score
And not making it out of the first round with Lewis, Jackson, and Mitchell was not a good look - way too much talent for mediocrity there.
Pointer, Aifuwa, and Mitchell is a good trio. So if she fighting for a spot with them. She's toast. Her teams has been way too talented lately.

Reaction Score
You mean Raigyne Louis (formerly Moncrief), right?

Reaction Score

Coach Schaefer had a press conference today. Hopefully I was able to correctly attach the link.
Some of the highlights include his obvious excitement that Jordan Danberry was able to return for another season. He stated that she will be used in a variety of ways but he is hopeful that she can play the offguard but is ready to assist at the point if needed. He also stated that Mayh Taylor was the best help side defender and possibly the best on ball defender. This bodes well for her playing if she can not turn the ball over. However, she does need to improve on her free throws and outside shot.

Chloe Bibby is cleared for contact but simply needs to trust her knee. He stated that Promise Taylor basically had her ankle reconstructed similar to someone having their knee go through similar experience. He says that she has a difficult time getting through practice but that he is hopeful after next week she will be able to go through the entirety of a practice. He emphasized that she was their best low post threat and that he needed the others to gain more consistency. He would like to be able to sometimes play a front court lineup of P Taylor, J Carter and RvJackson in select situations.

He was especially complementary of Rickea Jackson but also emphasized the other newcomers were playing hard. Overall he gave the normal coach speak but tempered his expectations. Based on his comments I expect Jordan Danberry rarely leaves the floor but will swing between positions as others sub.

Reaction Score

Coach Schaefer had a press conference today. Hopefully I was able to correctly attach the link.
Some of the highlights include his obvious excitement that Jordan Danberry was able to return for another season. He stated that she will be used in a variety of ways but he is hopeful that she can play the offguard but is ready to assist at the point if needed. He also stated that Mayh Taylor was the best help side defender and possibly the best on ball defender. This bodes well for her playing if she can not turn the ball over. However, she does need to improve on her free throws and outside shot.

Chloe Bibby is cleared for contact but simply needs to trust her knee. He stated that Promise Taylor basically had her ankle reconstructed similar to someone having their knee go through similar experience. He says that she has a difficult time getting through practice but that he is hopeful after next week she will be able to go through the entirety of a practice. He emphasized that she was their best low post threat and that he needed the others to gain more consistency. He would like to be able to sometimes play a front court lineup of P Taylor, J Carter and RvJackson in select situations.

He was especially complementary of Rickea Jackson but also emphasized the other newcomers were playing hard. Overall he gave the normal coach speak but tempered his expectations. Based on his comments I expect Jordan Danberry rarely leaves the floor but will swing between positions as others sub.
Thanks, Mildog, for the status update. Sure hope P. Taylor is able to go by season opener time. Based on how she played Tee when she was at Ole Miss, I believe she will be the most physical player we have.

Reaction Score

I think what little support she had at that point was lost there. That was way too talented of a group to just get taken to the woodshed by CMU in the first round.

Reaction Score
Scoreboard from opening night:

South Carolina 103 Alabama State 43

Texas A&M 78 Little Rock 35

Kentucky 67 Mt St Mary's 44

Tennessee 72 East Tennessee State 68

Missouri 97 Western Illinois 89 OT

LSU 83 New Orleans 49

Ole Miss 72 Miss Valley St 53

Florida 72 Grambling 65

Vanderbilt 88 Jacksonville 66

Reaction Score
Interesting line for Jordan Horston

4 pts, 6 asts, 4 rebs, 1 stl, 7 TOs, 4 fouls, 2/6 shooting in 15 minutes.

On one hand very productive, on the other hand looks like a lot of mistakes.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Interesting line for Jordan Horston

4 pts, 6 asts, 4 rebs, 1 stl, 7 TOs, 4 fouls, 2/6 shooting in 15 minutes.

On one hand very productive, on the other hand looks like a lot of mistakes.
I can say this. She looks like a superstar. It's her first game. She has a few things to work on as all freshman do. Right now the outside shots are not falling and fouls. Once she corrects those things look out.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I can say this. She looks like a superstar. It's her first game. She has a few things to work on as all freshman do. Right now the outside shots are not falling and fouls. Once she corrects those things look out.

As you may have seen me post before, she was my favorite player in the class.

That line suggests she was extremely involved during her time in the game and that's good. But the turnovers, fouls, and shooting suggests it's not all there yet.

Looking forward to seeing her development.

Reaction Score
Arkansas - four 30+ point wins vs mid-major opponents. I will say they are living up to my billing of putting them in the dark horse contender group.

Kentucky - Have not exceeded 67 points in any of their four games thus far. Looking like scoring may be a problem for the Cats. I actually did not think they would contend as I thought they lost significant pieces, but I do think that some had them as a top group team because of their headliner and also I guess because of their coach.

Tennessee - a close call vs ETSU, but otherwise they have a win @ ND and two routs as expected. I think you'd have to say this is a promising start for the Vols, but losing Zay is a big blow, I think.

Miss State - I don't care who you are playing, scoring 120 points in back to back games is impressive in the box score.

Texas A&M - a one point win at Rice is concerning, but I'd have to say they are about as billed/expected.

South Carolina - It's looking like this team has elite defensive potential having given all of its opponents a very bad night. The offense remains a work in progress (though pretty explosive vs overmatched teams) and the youth certainly could be a concern as the calendar turns.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Arkansas - four 30+ point wins vs mid-major opponents. I will say they are living up to my billing of putting them in the dark horse contender group.

Kentucky - Have not exceeded 67 points in any of their four games thus. Looking like scoring may be a problem for the Cats. I actually did not think they would contend as I thought they lost significant pieces, but I do think that some had them as a top group team because of their headliner and also I guess because of their coach.

Tennessee - a close call vs ETSU, but otherwise they have a win @ ND and two routs as expected. I think you'd have to say this is a promising start for the Vols, but losing Zay is a big blow, I think.

Miss State - I don't care who you are playing, scoring 120 points in back to back games is impressive in the box score.

Texas A&M - a one point win at Rice is concerning, but I'd have to say they are about as billed/expected.

South Carolina - It's looking like this team has elite defensive potential having given all of its opponents a very bad night. The offense remains a work in progress (though pretty explosive vs overmatched teams) and the youth certainly could be a concern as the calendar turns.
Arkansas will need to get hot from deep against teams like South Carolina, Mississippi State, and Tennessee due to their lack of size. Aliyah Boston and Jessika Carter (SEC POW) are to players who who will give them headaches based off of how they’ve been playing so far. Ramirez, Dungee, and Tolefree can fill it up, which makes them so dangerous.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom