SEC 2019-2020 discussion | Page 10 | The Boneyard

SEC 2019-2020 discussion

Reaction Score
Dawn wins by 80 against South Carolina Upstate.

Why don't we hear cries of bullying when these powerhouses--Baylor, Mississippi State, South Carolina--pulverize the little sisters of the poor they keep scheduling?

I'd be so embarrassed if UConn scheduled that type of competition.

You do realize SC recently traveled to Maryland...

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Dawn wins by 80 against South Carolina Upstate.

Why don't we hear cries of bullying when these powerhouses--Baylor, Mississippi State, South Carolina--pulverize the little sisters of the poor they keep scheduling?

I'd be so embarrassed if UConn scheduled that type of competition.

Isn't most of your conference schedule made up of that type of competition?

GoDawgs4

MSU and All That Too
Reaction Score

I was going to mention that Connecticut plays only great power house teams in the Big East Conference they are in. Oh wait, they aren’t in the Big East anymore are they? What conference do they play in?

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score

No, unless you think SMU, Tulsa, and Wichita State are anywhere near as bad as Lamar, Grambling, Houston Baptist, Murray State, Troy, Jackson State, Appalachian State, SC Upstate, or Alabama State.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Think you folks are also confusing teams a program has to play with those they intentionally schedule too.

UConn drops a couple of conference games in order to player better non-conference opponents. They also only play the dregs of the conference once a year. That's all by choice.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
You do realize SC recently traveled to Maryland...

somebody is criticizing South Carolina's schedule?
scratch.gif
scratch.gif
scratch.gif
scratch.gif
scratch.gif
They play as tough a non-conference schedule as most anyone.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I was going to mention that Connecticut plays only great power house teams in the Big East Conference they are in. Oh wait, they aren’t in the Big East anymore are they? What conference do they play in?

Oh my god, what great questions.

UConn used to play in the Big East. Back then, there were years when the Big East was the best conference in women's basketball. UConn won 8 of its 11 national championships while in the Big East. Then, regrettably, UConn wasn't invited to join one of the big boy conferences and instead joined AAC. The AAC was a lousy conference for women's basketball but UConn still struggled to win 3 more national championships. Next year it's back to the Big East and we're very excited about that even it's not like the old Big East.

You're a Gonzaga fan, right? What conference does Gonzaga play in?

Reaction Score
Jessika Carter Mississippi state has been balling wonder if it translates over to SEC play and tougher teams

Reaction Score
Jessika Carter Mississippi state has been balling wonder if it translates over to SEC play and tougher teams
Honestly J Carter needs either P Taylor or Y Morris to step up so she can play the four or R Jackson to step up more in the rebounding category. Other than C Bibby she is getting no help down low. The best quote from Coach Schaefer tonight was talking about his frustration watching Y Morris power up for a layup but then gently reach for a defensive rebound like she was a kid chasing a balloon that kept bouncing off her fingertips.

Reaction Score
Honestly J Carter needs either P Taylor or Y Morris to step up so she can play the four or R Jackson to step up more in the rebounding category. Other than C Bibby she is getting no help down low. The best quote from Coach Schaefer tonight was talking about his frustration watching Y Morris power up for a layup but then gently reach for a defensive rebound like she was a kid chasing a balloon that kept bouncing off her fingertips.
One thing I know about him is he knows how to teach toughness, tenacity, hustle, heart, and defense. If you’re soft, you won’t leave Miss St soft. See Teaira McCowan, she was pretty soft her first two years. You couldn’t get a rebound or a layup pass her in the following two years.

GoDawgs4

MSU and All That Too
Reaction Score
Oh my god, what great questions.

UConn used to play in the Big East. Back then, there were years when the Big East was the best conference in women's basketball. UConn won 8 of its 11 national championships while in the Big East. Then, regrettably, UConn wasn't invited to join one of the big boy conferences and instead joined AAC. The AAC was a lousy conference for women's basketball but UConn still struggled to win 3 more national championships. Next year it's back to the Big East and we're very excited about that even it's not like the old Big East.

You're a Gonzaga fan, right? What conference does Gonzaga play in?

No I am a State alum/fan and that remark was tongue in cheek. I well know your issues with the conference situation. I was just poking some fun at you all. I do agree that our non-conference schedule is weak this year. As has been mentioned previously, we have had a hard time (particularly on the Men’s side) getting OOC teams to play home and home against us in basketball because some teams want to play us in Starkvegas. They will claim it is hard to get there (it is really not though as a commercial airport is 18 miles from campus). But regardless our SEC schedule is pretty difficult this season so we will see how good we are come January/February.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
South Carolina's schedule is much better than the Baylors, Marylands, and Mississippi States of the world, granted, but they still schedule a few of these 200-300 caliber teams.

Reaction Score
South Carolina's schedule is much better than the Baylors, Marylands, and Mississippi States of the world, granted, but they still schedule a few of these 200-300 caliber teams.
They can afford to because they don’t play them during conference. UConn can’t really afford to because they play a few 200-300 caliber teams during conference play.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
They can afford to because they don’t play them during conference. UConn can’t really afford to because they play a few 200-300 caliber teams during conference play.

The issue really isn't whether they can "afford to;" it's why they choose to play these teams. What do you get out of a game in which you beat your opponent by 70 points?

Between coaching jobs with the Fever and Kentucky, Lin Dunn used to go on twitter rants about the MOV in some of UConn's non-conference games. The games Lin tweeted about were not against teams like South Carolina Upstate or Alabama State. These games were against P5 teams or good mid-majors. She would tweet about the importance of growing the game. We need a similar voice.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
The Central Arkansas team that Tennessee fans were *thrilled* to beat by 27 is now losing by 30 to Tulane in mid-4Q.

Maybe Tennessee should consider joining the AAC after UConn's departure. That way they'd have a chance to win a conference title again.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score

UConn does not play anyone at the level of those programs I mentioned previously unless it's during exhibition. It's too bad Sagarin is no longer covering the women's game or I'd show you how off that comparison is.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
The Central Arkansas team that Tennessee fans were *thrilled* to beat by 27 is now losing by 30 to Tulane in mid-4Q.

I have been informed that teams like Central Arkansas and Tulane are comparable. Thus, UConn playing Tulane is similar to a P5 playing Central Arkansas.

Plebe

Reaction Score
I have been informed that teams like Central Arkansas and Tulane are comparable. Thus, UConn playing Tulane is similar to a P5 playing Central Arkansas.
:)

Anyone who tries to deflect attention from their cupcake OOC scheduling by pointing the finger at UConn's conference gets an honorary dunce cap. A fallacious argument on multiple levels.

Reaction Score
UConn does not play anyone at the level of those programs I mentioned previously unless it's during exhibition. It's too bad Sagarin is no longer covering the women's game or I'd show you how off that comparison is.
Ole Miss was #239 last year and on UConn’s schedule. Not like Geno has never scheduled a team in the 200-300 range.

Wichita State was #257.

Memphis was #232.

SMU was #231.

Can’t think of many teams who don’t have a few 200-300 games on their schedule.

Last edited:

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Ole Miss was #239 last year and on UConn’s schedule. Not like Geno has never scheduled a team in the 200-300 range.

Wichita State was #257.

Memphis was #232.

SMU was #231.

Geno did not schedule Ole Miss. The Rebels were part of a holiday tournament in St Thomas. No coach has any control over which teams play in those tournaments.

Geno has scheduled games against terrible teams in the past. Sometimes it was for recruiting and sometimes there was no good reason. The only thing that comes from games like that is a headache.

Plebe

Reaction Score

Wichita State was #257.

Memphis was #232.

SMU was #231.
Ole Miss wasn't selected by UConn either. That game was at the Paradise Jam.

Reaction Score
Aren’t like 3-4 of Geno’s non-conference games typically homecoming games? That doesn’t give a whole lot of flexibility either. Games like St. Louis, UALR, etc. Has Liv’s game been announced yet?

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score

Wichita State was #257.

Memphis was #232.

SMU was #231.

Can’t think of many teams who don’t have a few 200-300 games on their schedule.

Don't know where you are getting those numbers from. Massey?

Sagarin's last list from two years ago had the worst AAC teams from 120-199. Some of the teams listed above were in the 260's to 320's. Those teams would be 12-20 point underdogs to the worst AAC teams base on his rating system.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom