SEC 2019-2020 discussion | Page 7 | The Boneyard

SEC 2019-2020 discussion

Reaction Score
Geno isn't the most self-effacing guy around, so I don't think he would say that either -- even in retrospect.
No Geno wouldn't on an undefeated team he sat Stewie and Tuck for 35 minutes for not meeting his Standards.

Reaction Score
My early predictions

1. A&M-(return everyone, get back Wilson)
2. SC -return a core group of contributors with monster freshmen class
3. Miss St- a lot of inexperience but have a deep talented team, I don’t doubt Vic
4. Tennessee- I think somehow Harper will get this team to play better collectively than Holly. Horston will be a stud.
5. Kentucky- Howard and bulk of team return but will need returners to step up offensively. Patterson is the one to watch.
6. Auburn- Return many major contributors and those impact freshman are a year older.
7. LSU- Return 4/5 starters and add 2 top 100 recruits. Ayanna Mitchell expected to carry the team again.
8. Arkansas- showed major promise at the end of last year. Dungee is a stud.
9. Missouri- maybe they surprise us but losing Cunningham will hurt a lot
10. Georgia- Potentially could be much higher but offensively inept and lost a couple key players
11. Alabama- they do return a nice little group and have more depth but questionable coaching
12.Vanderbilt- Put up or shut up for white. A lot of new faces but I’m not sold on whites coaching.
13. Ole miss- they will continue to be rebuilding. Their 2020 class is great but it will take another year or two to get back.
14. Florida- I don’t know what the hell has happened to this program. It’s not looking good.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Here's my prediction:

(13-3)
1a. Mississippi State
1b. South Carolina
1c. Texas A&M

3 best teams last year. None of them should be upset in their conference more than once, at most twice with the talent that they have. Average team in this conference has one or two great players.... these 3 should have at least 5 with room to spare. If there's one of those who can win both the head-to-head games, they will be SEC champs, though SC plays both their rivals at home. Not sure if we play A&M twice or not, but if we play them only once..... it'll be in Starkville. The crowds at Columbia and Starkville are fierce, so Texas A&M is disadvantaged by that one extra rough wind they have to sail through.

(11-5)
4. Tennessee

I think with Warlick the team beat themselves a lot last year. With KJH, she might not elevate them in her first year, but I don't think she'll screw them up either, so 11-5 sounds about logical to the tune of the talent level that they have.

(10-6)
5. Arkansas
6. Auburn

I think Auburn is not getting enough credit. Not that I think they'll be elite, but I bet they'll be stronger this year with a solid nucleus of 3 or 4 players. Arkansas should be on the rise.... they can't play defense but they have enough offense to possibly give those 3 upper tier teams a good fight scoring 80/90 points.

(9-7)
7. Kentucky

I think Kentucky like Missouri will dive a little. I think both Kentucky and Missouri will be around 9-7/8-8. Both can win those low-scoring ugly games. Though at least they have that and were good at the physical contact/turnover battle game at times last year. But I think they'll be too low scoring to win consistently in this league.

(8-8)
8. Missouri
9. LSU

I think Tiara Young could offer some points and be like what Vivians was to Mississippi State in her first year, but the team probably isn't strong enough collectively to win more than that. I also think that applies to Missouri outside of one player, maybe two. Missouri lost 4 out of 5 of their top scorers so I don't expect they'll be that hard to beat for teams like A&M, MSU, or SC.

(6-10)
10. Vanderbilt
11. Ole Miss

I think Ole Miss is showing signs of improvement in their "decent" recruiting some ranked players probably passed over by bigger schools. I think they'll improve. Same for Vanderbilt, except they'll improve by 4 whole games.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(3-13)
11. Georgia

I think Georgia will dive the most.... I think they're headed towards irrelevant.

(2-14)
13. Alabama

I think they'll be worse, or at least no real forward movement so they'll slowly drift down flatly.

(0-16)
14. Florida

Gone their top 2 scorers, I think they'll be restroom soap.

LV conference schedule: thinking 12-4 — with W against Mississippi ST, Texas A&M, Kentucky, or South Carolina than surprise L against an unexpected team.

@ Alabama = W
@ Georgia = W
@ Mississippi ST = ?
@ Missouri = W
@ Texas A&M = ?
@ Vanderbilt = W
@ LSU = W
@ Ole Miss = W
Ole Miss = W
LSU = W
Vanderbilt = W
Arkansas = W
Auburn = W
Florida = W
Kentucky = ?
South Carolina = ?

My early top 5 predictions

1. A&M
2. SC
3. Miss St
4. Tennessee
5. Kentucky

Reaction Score
LV conference schedule: thinking 12-4 — with W against Mississippi ST, Texas A&M, Kentucky, or South Carolina than surprise L against an unexpected team.

@ Alabama = W
@ Georgia = W
@ Mississippi ST = ?
@ Missouri = W
@ Texas A&M = ?
@ Vanderbilt = W
@ LSU = W
@ Ole Miss = W
Ole Miss = W
LSU = W
Vanderbilt = W
Arkansas = W
Auburn = W
Florida = W
Kentucky = ?
South Carolina = ?

My early top 5 predictions

1. A&M
2. SC
3. Miss St
4. Tennessee
5. Kentucky

While I think Harper will be a huge improvement over Warlick I think it’s going to take her a little while to learn her team and understand their tendencies. Of course the Europe trip will definitely help but I think TN will finish after KY and Arky this year.

Reaction Score
Chennedy Carter piece. Interested in seeing her take the next step in her career. She’s definitely a player I root for when she isn’t playing SC.

Reaction Score
While I think Harper will be a huge improvement over Warlick I think it’s going to take her a little while to learn her team and understand their tendencies. Of course the Europe trip will definitely help but I think TN will finish after KY and Arky this year.
Kentucky, I agree,. Arkansas. Ehhhhhhhh I'm still not sold on them yet..... Idk why I just see them receive a lot of hype.

Reaction Score
Kentucky, I agree,. Arkansas. Ehhhhhhhh I'm still not sold on them yet..... Idk why I just see them receive a lot of hype.

Neighbors is one of the better coaches in the SEC, they have a SEC POY candidate in Dungee and they score the ball better than most teams.

Reaction Score
Neighbors is one of the better coaches in the SEC, they have a SEC POY candidate in Dungee and they score the ball better than most teams.
Maybe I haven't seen them enough outside the SEC tournament. They are a rising team. I just wanna see if they have someone to replace Monk.

Reaction Score
Maybe I haven't seen them enough outside the SEC tournament. They are a rising team. I just wanna see if they have someone to replace Monk.

That’s true, monk was one of the fastest players in the SEC and gave them a different element by pushing pace. Ramirez is a better shooter but I don’t think they’ll have that same tempo they had with Monk.

Reaction Score
That’s true, monk was one of the fastest players in the SEC and gave them a different element by pushing pace. Ramirez is a better shooter but I don’t think they’ll have that same tempo they had with Monk.
They’re different, but I think Ramirez means the impact of losing Monk to graduation will be manageable. Tolfree also seemed to improve a lot at the end of the season and in the SEC tourney. All this means is that G is not the biggest challenge for next year for Neighbors... size up front is what Arkansas fans are worried about.

But they had size issues last year too. I think they can take the next step in their rebuilding, which would be to get into the next tier in the SEC and make the NCAAs.

Neighbors just hired Chantal Osahor as an assistant, btw.

Reaction Score
Just noticing the away conference schedules for the contenders:

Texas A&M

Alabama, Georgia, LSU, South Carolina, Miss State, Arkansas, Tennessee, Kentucky

South Carolina

Kentucky, Vandy, Arkansas, Bama, Missouri, Georgia, Ole Miss, Florida

Miss State

Georgia, Ole Miss, Auburn, Kentucky, South Carolina, Missouri, Vandy, Tennessee

Tennessee

Ole Miss, LSU, Vandy, Auburn, Arkansas, South Carolina, Bama, Georgia

Apologies to Arkansas and Kentucky for not listing them, but I got bored.

Conclusion:

Texas A&M easily has the hardest path to winning the division at they will play every other contender away as well as the Kentucky, Arkansas, LSU. Wow, that might be the difference.

Reaction Score
Just noticing the away conference schedules for the contenders:

Texas A&M

Alabama, Georgia, LSU, South Carolina, Miss State, Arkansas, Tennessee, Kentucky

South Carolina

Kentucky, Vandy, Arkansas, Bama, Missouri, Georgia, Ole Miss, Florida

Miss State

Georgia, Ole Miss, Auburn, Kentucky, South Carolina, Missouri, Vandy, Tennessee

Tennessee

Ole Miss, LSU, Vandy, Auburn, Arkansas, South Carolina, Bama, Georgia

Apologies to Arkansas and Kentucky for not listing them, but I got bored.

Conclusion:

Texas A&M easily has the hardest path to winning the division at they will play every other contender away as well as the Kentucky, Arkansas, LSU. Wow, that might be the difference.
Wow. Of the seven other teams in the top 30 of the most recent poll Texas A&M plays all but Auburn on the road. However South Carolina got a great draw with both contender games at home and only Kentucky and Arkansas on the road. I think the top spot will come down to one or maybe two games difference and that road schedule could be a big deciding factor.
However it is great to see the SEC strong again.

Reaction Score
From the PNW, I see Texas A&M (barring injuries) as the clear favorite to win the SEC.

Reaction Score
Arkansas Road Schedule:

Auburn, South Carolina, Vandy, Alabama, Missouri, Ole Miss, Florida, Miss State

Kentucky Road Schedule:

South Carolina, Alabama, Florida, LSU, Missouri, Arkansas, Ole Miss, Vandy.

Reaction Score
The very last game of the season for SC will be versus A&M. That game will probably be for all the marbles in the SEC race. I’m glad SC only has to play both Miss St and A&M once and it’s at home because that gives them a better chance than anyone else to win the SEC.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Chennedy Carter piece. Interested in seeing her take the next step in her career. She’s definitely a player I root for when she isn’t playing SC.

The biggest issue for Carter and A&M will be if she will work to get teammates involved or if itll continue to be the Chennedy show. A&M has Final Four talent but Carter needs to be unselfish and get teammates involved or theyll fizzle out by Sweet 16 again.

Reaction Score
From the PNW, I see Texas A&M (barring injuries) as the clear favorite to win the SEC.

If I had to put money on it, I would go with South Carolina winning the SEC because they have the veteran PG and HH, a veteran and versatile player.

MSU is young, and the moment might be too big at times. I'm not sold on TAMU because Carter can be a real problem for that team.

Reaction Score

I don't think you can underestimate the bumps that occur with a coaching change. I don't expect a lot the first year after a coaching change. You can have a loaded team talent wise, but a regime change brings about its own set of challenges. Especially when the previous coach left the team in a bad place.

Plus, Harper hasn't proven she can compete at this level. There's actually nothing in her history to suggest she will ever be better than Warlick. I don't expect TN to be any better than middle of the pack next year.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Kinda how I feel about SC, I love Dawn both as a coach and more as a person, I feel SC is always MSST toughest opponent, in fact, I consider SC our main rival but a rival that I respect. No doubt I love for MSST to beat SC but against any team,other than MSST and UConn, I root for SC.
I'm with you; there are two teams I really don't like - Kentucky and Mizzou, mainly due to their coaches. After seeing the conference schedule, I think the Gamecock will win the regular season championship. We only play MSU, A&M and Tennessee once - all at home. This is a nice respite after last year.

Reaction Score
Just watched a short video of Bibby working out, she looks fit. Not as tall as Big Tee but very muscular. She should really help our physicality.

Reaction Score
Speaking of A&M, is Blair ever going to retire?

Good question and a question State fans are always interested in. I think Blair is contracted through 2021 or 2022. If Vic ever goes anywhere, that's the only place I can see him going. Vic has made moves that make it seem like State is a more permanent home. He recently bought some land outside of Starkville.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom