SEC 2019-2020 discussion | Page 5 | The Boneyard

SEC 2019-2020 discussion

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Who do you guys pic for SEC freshman of the year? Jordan Hortson is the highest ranked freshman in the class. Will she win it?

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Who do you guys pic for SEC freshman of the year? Jordan Hortson is the highest ranked freshman in the class. Will she win it?
This could be be a great race. By HG rankings, the SEC is getting 7 of the top 11 freshmen:

2. J. Horston, Tennessee
3. A. Boston, SC
4. Z. Cooke, SC
5. R. Jackson, Miss St
9. A. Blackwell, Mizzou
10. L. Amihere, SC
11. B. Beal, SC

Reaction Score
My vote is Rickea Jackson. Looks like Vic is going to make sure she gets plenty of playing time. Led the team in scoring during the World University Games. If she stays healthy, will challenge LaToya Thomas as greatest Lady Bulldog ever.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
This could be be a great race. By HG rankings, the SEC is getting 7 of the top 11 freshmen:

2. J. Horston, Tennessee
3. A. Boston, SC
4. Z. Cooke, SC
5. R. Jackson, Miss St
9. A. Blackwell, Mizzou
10. L. Amihere, SC
11. B. Beal, SC
Yes I agree.

Reaction Score
Meh. A&M will still live and die by Chennedy Carter imo. While they return their entire starting five they will still have little depth off the bench. SC will likely be playing in front of 15,000+ so the pressure will definitely be on the away team. Also how can you say the games will be a tossup by simply watching Miss St? You haven't even seen what SC or A&M will look like yet you think it’ll be a tossup.....
I felt like the top 3 teams in the SEC were 1. A&M, 2. SC, and 3. MSST. Still believe that is the most likely ranking as of today but having seen MSST play, IMHO, we are better than I thought. I saw A&M last year and they are bringing everybody back so as of today I believe they have the inside track for SEC. My opinion of SC is based upon the freshmen class they have coming in for next season, however, unlike MSST, I have not seen then in action yet. I believe the talent level for all 3 teams is fairly equal and that is why I said, IMO, those games will be a tossup.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure lack of depth per se is really the issue. None of last year's Final Four teams went substantively deeper than 6 except when forced by foul trouble or injury.

I also don't think the SEC race will come down to one game in Columbia. It's 16 games and I'd be shocked if anyone gets through it undefeated or with only one loss. The key will be consistency, something which young teams aren't typically known for. SC might well be the exception; we shall see. No doubt they have talent.

Are we going to act like those teams weren’t on a different level from A&M talent wise???

Each of those teams had multiple consensus top 10 players in the starting lineup. A&M only has Carter, who were top 10, with Johnson and Wilson top twenty. Wells was top 50 but Jones wasn’t. After those five they have a senior pg in Washington, another pg in Green who was rated 88th best player out of high school, and Hearn who barely played at UCLA. Not sure their quite on the level as last years FF squads.

I don’t think any team will go undefeated in SEC play and I don’t think SC will just run over every team they face. But I do feel The toughest matchups are versus Miss St and A&M, and both of those games for SC are at home this year hence why I feel SC has an advantage in those matchups. Had SC travelled to either school this year then I feel like it would be a tossup.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Are we going to act like those teams weren’t on a different level from A&M talent wise???

Each of those teams had multiple consensus top 10 players in the starting lineup. A&M only has Carter, who were top 10, with Johnson and Wilson top twenty. Wells was top 50 but Jones wasn’t. After those five they have a senior pg in Washington, another pg in Green who was rated 88th best player out of high school, and Hearn who barely played at UCLA. Not sure their quite on the level as last years FF squads.

I don’t think any team will go undefeated in SEC play and I don’t think SC will just run over every team they face. But I do feel The toughest matchups are versus Miss St and A&M, and both of those games for SC are at home this year hence why I feel SC has an advantage in those matchups. Had SC travelled to either school this year then I feel like it would be a tossup.
I wasn't equating their level of play. My point was only that a team with more depth doesn't necessarily have the advantage over a team with less depth.

My other point was that those marquee matchups might not be what decides the SEC race. It could come down to how consistently those top 2 or 3 teams play against the likes of Tennessee, Kentucky, Missouri, etc.

I'm not looking to recruitment rankings as the predictive factor. Kayla Wells was #86 by HG, but she's clearly proven way better than that. (Should've been all-SEC imo, for sure ahead of Rennia Davis.)

Reaction Score
I felt like the top 3 teams in the SEC were 1. A&M, 2. SC, and 3. MSST. Still believe that is the most likely ranking as of today but having seen MSST play, IMHO, we are better than I thought. I saw A&M last year and they are bringing everybody back so as of today I believe they have the inside track for SEC. My opinion of SC is based upon the freshmen class they have coming in for next season, however, unlike MSST, I have not seen then in action yet. I believe the talent level for all 3 teams is fairly equal and that is why I said, IMO, those games will be a tossup.

For the most part I agree with you. Those 3 will without a doubt be the best teams in the SEC next year. I don’t think A&M is as talented as SC, Miss St, or even Tenn for that matter. When you look at the entirety of each teams roster, A&M is not on the same level. They will benefit greatly from a team that has cohesion and a good coach.

I disagree however on your opinion on SC is based on the freshman coming in. While they are highly talented, SC’s success will come from its senior leaders Ty Harris and Hebert-Harrigan leading the way. Those two along with key returners Henderson, Saxton, and Grissett will be the biggest factors in how good SC will be next year. The freshman will just be an added bonus imo.

Reaction Score
I wasn't equating their level of play. My point was only that a team with more depth doesn't necessarily have the advantage over a team with less depth.

My other point was that those marquee matchups might not be what decides the SEC race. It could come down to how consistently those top 2 or 3 teams play against the likes of Tennessee, Kentucky, Missouri, etc.

I'm not looking to recruitment rankings as the predictive factor. Kayla Wells was #86 by HG, but she's clearly proven way better than that. (Should've been all-SEC imo, for sure ahead of Rennia Davis.)

I was pointing out the simple fact that those teams were able to survive without depth because the talent gap between them and everyone else was huge. Each had go to players and teams that could score and defend at a high level for 40 minutes. Not sure A&M falls into that category. Whenever Carter got into foul trouble last year, A&M took a nose dive in all categories. I just feel like they need more than 5 or 6 to be as effective and make the FF.

I’m not sure about Miss St or A&M but SC plays both Kentucky and Arkansas twice next year with Tennessee at home and Misery on the road so there’s definitely some tough matchups to say the least. As long as they take care of business at home they should be right there in the race to the top.

I didn’t think Wells would be as good as she was last year and definitely deserved at least second team All-SEC last year. Interested to see if she can take a even bigger leap next year. I usually don’t look to rankings to predict players either but for the most part the elite players usually live up to their hype.

Reaction Score
For the most part I agree with you. Those 3 will without a doubt be the best teams in the SEC next year. I don’t think A&M is as talented as SC, Miss St, or even Tenn for that matter. When you look at the entirety of each teams roster, A&M is not on the same level. They will benefit greatly from a team that has cohesion and a good coach.

I disagree however on your opinion on SC is based on the freshman coming in. While they are highly talented, SC’s success will come from its senior leaders Ty Harris and Hebert-Harrigan leading the way. Those two along with key returners Henderson, Saxton, and Grissett will be the biggest factors in how good SC will be next year. The freshman will just be an added bonus imo.
If you are correct, freshmen not deciding factor, A&M will definitely have the inside track. Before Italy I would have agreed with you on the freshmen being vital factor for MSST but I now believe we may have 3 or 4 freshmen starters by the time SEC play begins. As of today, I think Jackson and Hemingway will be starters for MSST and Matahru and Young will be getting major minutes. If SC freshmen are not significant contributors I believe SC will number 3 at best in the SEC, however SC freshman class is loaded and I suspect they will be vital to SC success.

Reaction Score
If you are correct, freshmen not deciding factor, A&M will definitely have the inside track. Before Italy I would have agreed with you on the freshmen being vital factor for MSST but I now believe we may have 3 or 4 freshmen starters by the time SEC play begins. As of today, I think Jackson and Hemingway will be starters for MSST and Matahru and Young will be getting major minutes. If SC freshmen are not significant contributors I believe SC will number 3 at best in the SEC, however SC freshman class is loaded and I suspect they will be vital to SC success.

Yes they will be vital but they need to be led like all freshman do. I think Beal and Boston will start from day one along with Harris, Henderson and HH but Grissett and Saxton off the bench will be just as key as those two in the starting lineup.

Reaction Score
Yes they will be vital but they need to be led like all freshman do. I think Beal and Boston will start from day one along with Harris, Henderson and HH but Grissett and Saxton off the bench will be just as key as those two in the starting lineup.
Your sleeper is Zia Cooke. I think she will be a major surprise for SC!

Reaction Score
Your sleeper is Zia Cooke. I think she will be a major surprise for SC!

I personally feel as though Amihere will be the sleeper since she’s the one that isn’t talked about much. Zia gets tons of recognition and should be a major factor but it’s Amihere that’ll blow everyone away one she steps on the court.

Reaction Score
I never said A&M wouldn’t be improved or good I just simply think they will live and die by Carter and they’re still lacking depth next year. I certainly think they’re in the discussion to win the SEC, I just think the matchup favors SC. I’m by any means not underestimating anyone here, both A&M and Miss St could win the SEC.

SC will definitely be young but they have a far tougher schedule than both Miss St and A&M next year that definitely will prepare them for the SEC. I look for players like Henderson, Saxton and Grissett to make up the loss of Jennings, Cooper and Cuevas-Moore.
Do you know something about our nonconference schedule that I don't know?

Reaction Score

I think its going to come down between Horston, Z. Cooke and R. Jackson. All three are the real deal.

Watching Miss St this past week in the tournament, Jackson showed me a lot and potentially is capable of leading a team even as a true frosh. Very few true frosh can do that but I think she is not the norm. She is the entire package and I enjoyed watching her play a lot.

Reaction Score
I think its going to come down between Horston, Z. Cooke and R. Jackson. All three are the real deal.

Watching Miss St this past week in the tournament, Jackson showed me a lot and potentially is capable of leading a team even as a true frosh. Very few true frosh can do that but I think she is not the norm. She is the entire package and I enjoyed watching her play a lot.
I'm not sure Cooke will have a big enough impact with both Henderson and Harris presumably ahead of her. Post players aren't typically FOY type impact players early, but I do think Aliyah Boston could have a big impact for SC. I also wouldn't count out Aijha Blackwell for Mizzou. For them to have a pretty good season, she will have to be playing close to SEC FOY level.

Reaction Score
I think either Hortson, Tiara Young, rickea or one of Mizzou players gonna win it. Based on the fact they'll be relied on and possibly starting day 1.

Reaction Score
I was mainly referencing to years past.
Fair enough. Our fans would like a stronger nonconference schedule. It doesn’t help that some of the logical opponents in Texas don’t want to play us. Last year, I believe our final rpi going into the NCAA tourney was actually better than I expected thanks to Rice making the tourney, USCw finishing stronger than expected, Syracuse having a good season, and of course beating Oregon State in Hawaii. Not close to playing Baylor and UConn.

I’m not sure how much of it is Blair’s preferences vs if there are other teams who don’t have us on their list of desirable nonconference opponents.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
For FOY I'm going with either Horston or Jackson.

Horston just because I think she is THAT good already, she could start on any SEC team and Jackson because Miss State is already her team, so that ball is going to come her way a lot.. so she'll get the jump on the rest of the candidates as far as opportunities.

I think Cooke is also capable of SEC FOY but I don't think she'll make that much of an impact early... her presence will be felt late in the season. Boston will likely start for SC, but post players come on slower usually.. so she'll have a chance to show her college readiness early.

Reaction Score
I think their biggest issue is toughness. They have good scorers, but probably give up too many paint points to an SEC team that plays a lot of contact. I'm guessing South Carolina and Mississippi State do that the most. And Missouri, but not sure what their team looks like now post Cunningham.

But I think Arkansas will get at least one key upset in the regular season in the SEC. I think their offense will get them that one upset catching a better team on a low scoring night.

Toughness only gets you so far when the tallest player who actually gets in is 6'1". I think their lack of size contributes to getting outscored in the paint more than lack of toughness.

Reaction Score
A few thoughts on Tennessee. There will be more size with Brown, Key, and Saunders. I think one player who can benefit from E leaving is Massingill. I think she will start at the point. When the season starts. I am excited about what Hortson can do. The other player who may I think could have a big year is Davis. If Harper can get them to play up to the potential. The team could have a really good year.
I see Zay Green making a big jump too. Her potential is high. Idk if she will stay at UT or transfer. But she's still there. I think she will be the second leading scorer

Reaction Score
I think either Hortson, Tiara Young, rickea or one of Mizzou players gonna win it.

Really excited about Young but she has work to. I have watched her play the last 2 1/2 years, her midrange game needs some consistency and she didn't play the best competition locally. That said she has a nice little jump shot which should be helpful next season. Curious if Nikki will actually let her team try to shoot 3's more, she actually does not like her teams to shoot that much from 3 but probably because she hasn't recruited many pure shooters. She prefers to have most the scoring done in the paint.

Reaction Score
Really excited about Young but she has work to. I have watched her play the last 2 1/2 years, her midrange game needs some consistency and she didn't play the best competition locally. That said she has a nice little jump shot which should be helpful next season. Curious if Nikki will actually let her team try to shoot 3's more, she actually does not like her teams to shoot that much from 3 but probably because she hasn't recruited many pure shooters. She prefers to have most the scoring done in the paint.
If they can take and make the 3. I'll put them over A&M any day. But you right. It kills me to not see them shoot much 3's. I think they have capable shooters. But..... Nikki gotta let them shoot it. They'll never have confidence in their shot if it's not being taken.

Reaction Score
Mingo-Young is may be very good for Mississippi State too. She was a 5-star recruit at one point, but underwent a series of knee injuries that put her in the back end of the top-100.

I saw her go up against SC's Destanni Henderson in Naples, FL the one year over Christmas, and she totally outplayed Henderson (I think Mingo-Young was a sophomore and Henderson a junior). Mingo-Young had 36 in an 85-74 win. Probably better than her ranking shows.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom