SEC 2019-2020 discussion | Page 4 | The Boneyard

SEC 2019-2020 discussion

Reaction Score
Gotcha. It’ll be interesting for sure. How come everyone has written Missouri off? They have some VERY talented freshman coming in and they have some good ones returning. Seems like Arkansas and LSU struggle more with consistent good play than Kentucky and Mizzou. Auburn will also have a sneaky good team as well.
Honestly because talent in the SEC does not outplay experience. Missouri will be fairly young and will struggle at times. They gonna win and exceed expectations, but they're gonna drop a few because of youth. Kentucky on the other hand. Can win the SEC. I think losing Murray and Morris is not as bad as ppl think. They are adding in transfers to replace them.

Reaction Score
Honestly because talent in the SEC does not outplay experience. Missouri will be fairly young and will struggle at times. They gonna win and exceed expectations, but they're gonna drop a few because of youth. Kentucky on the other hand. Can win the SEC. I think losing Murray and Morris is not as bad as ppl think. They are adding in transfers to replace them.

They have Amber Smith, Jordan Chavis, Jordan Roundtree and Hannah Schuchts returning plus Levy who made All Freshman. All those players have big game experience so I wouldn’t say they’re young.

For Kentucky Howard will likely be the leading scorer but they lack a PG next year and Patterson is unproven and the transfer Haines is no where close to being a player Morris was for them. Maci started since her freshman year and was top 3 in 3pt percentage since her sophomore year. I highly doubt Haines provides better than what they had with Morris.

Reaction Score
I will be interested so see if Kentucky's other freshman Blair Green can make a jump. She is a very solid player (made SEC All freshmen team) and for the most part was efficient last year whenever she tried shooting. If she can be more aggressive next year and involved offensively, I think she can help Howard out a lot. Patterson is unproven but definitely talented. Looking forward what she can do under Mitchell. I have difficult time judging players under Ashton.

Reaction Score
Who do y'all think will be the most improved team next year?

Also dark horses to win the SEC?

Reaction Score

Tennessee will be improved along with Arkansas and Kentucky. I think those three teams will be a tier below SC, A&M, and Miss St. that would likely be the top 6.

Arkansas and Kentucky could be the dark horses but I’m not sure if they can play at a high enough level to win the SEC.

Reaction Score
Tennessee will be improved along with Arkansas and Kentucky

Interesting choice. They lost some major contributions from Morris and Murray but return Howard and and everyone else. Their other freshmen Green showed some great flashes as a freshmen. Coach Mitchell seems extremely high on those newcomers, especially Deasia Merrill. I'm intrigued to see what Chasity Patterson can bring to the table, she was a top recruit out of HS. Of course she had zero coaching and development down in Austin so I expect her to do better at Kentucky. Defensively they will be really good but other kids will need to step up offensively.

Tennessee is definitely one to watch despite losing a couple key transfers. Curious how that team will play next year with possibly some better coaching and discipline.

Reaction Score
Tennessee will be improved along with Arkansas and Kentucky. I think those three teams will be a tier below SC, A&M, and Miss St. that would likely be the top 6.

Arkansas and Kentucky could be the dark horses but I’m not sure if they can play at a high enough level to win the SEC.
Arkansas's biggest issue, IMO, is their lack of height. They have three guards that can really fill it up in Tolefree, Ramirez, and Dungee, but whether those 3 can consistently play at a high level, and whether or not they can play with teams that have bigs is the question.

Right now, SC and A&M are 1a and 1b for me, maybe give SC the slight edge, but Chennedy Carter can really fill it up, and she will have some very talented teammates beside her. Carter with Aaliyah Wilson, Kayla Wells, N'dea Jones, and Ciera Johnson could be scary. Ty Harris and Herbet-Harrigan will be a deadly duo, but how much some of the freshmen can contribute will be a key.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score

Most improved:
  • A&M gets everyone back, they have great upside collectively and individually, and they're led by an outstanding coach. They should be top 10 for sure, possibly a Final Four team.
  • LSU gets almost everyone back and, while I wouldn't call their coach outstanding, they should be significantly better than last year's team that missed the NCAAs.
Dark horses:
  • Can MSU be considered a dark horse? Most are predicting they'll fall back behind A&M and SC, but Vic has proven his ability to reload without a down season. Plus he's getting his highest-rated recruit ever in Rickea Jackson.
  • Tennessee is a wildcard with its new coaching staff and the addition of Horston. I'll be very surprised if they win the SEC, but it can't be ruled out.

Reaction Score
Tenn will be most improved, if only because they will win a bunch of the games they should never have lost but in which they played like do do. I predict that the losing streak to Alabama is over.

Reaction Score

Most improved. LSU. Tennessee.

Dark horses. Tennessee and Kentucky.

I find A&M, SC and MSU are favorites. But I'm convinced that they can drop to Kentucky and Tennessee on any given night.

Best defense: LSU
Offense: Mississippi State.

Reaction Score
Arkansas's biggest issue, IMO, is their lack of height. They have three guards that can really fill it up in Tolefree, Ramirez, and Dungee, but whether those 3 can consistently play at a high level, and whether or not they can play with teams that have bigs is the question.

Right now, SC and A&M are 1a and 1b for me, maybe give SC the slight edge, but Chennedy Carter can really fill it up, and she will have some very talented teammates beside her. Carter with Aaliyah Wilson, Kayla Wells, N'dea Jones, and Ciera Johnson could be scary. Ty Harris and Herbet-Harrigan will be a deadly duo, but how much some of the freshmen can contribute will be a key.
I think SC biggest sleeper will be Amihere. She gets overshadowed by the other freshmen but I watched her highlights, her size and athleticism is amazing

Reaction Score
I think SC biggest sleeper will be Amihere. She gets overshadowed by the other freshmen but I watched her highlights, her size and athleticism is amazing

Agreed. She might be the best out of the bunch when it’s said and done.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Tennessee I like the new coaching staff. The team goes on European tour. So they get to play before the season starts. That will be helpful.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Agreed. She might be the best out of the bunch when it’s said and done.

Agree with this. I think Amihere has the highest upside of all of our freshmen. I think Beal is the one most ready to contribute on day 1. Boston is going to be that next great SC post player. Cooke is going to be very Asia Durr-like by the time she graduates.

Amihere gets overshadowed because nobody has seen her in over a year and she's coming off an injury (keeping her healthy will be a key), but prior to injury she was #2 in that class for a reason.

Most improved: Tennessee

Dark Horses: I think Arkansas. That Razorback backcourt scares the crap out of me.. it will be one of the highest scoring in the league IMO.

Right now I'd rank the league

1a - A&M
1b - SC
1c - Miss State

4. Arkansas
5. Kentucky
6. Tennessee
7. Misery
8. Auburn
9. LSU
10. Georgia
11. Alabama
12. Ole Miss
13. Florida
14. Vanderbilt

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Most improved:
  • A&M gets everyone back, they have great upside collectively and individually, and they're led by an outstanding coach. They should be top 10 for sure, possibly a Final Four team.
  • LSU gets almost everyone back and, while I wouldn't call their coach outstanding, they should be significantly better than last year's team that missed the NCAAs.
Dark horses:
  • Can MSU be considered a dark horse? Most are predicting they'll fall back behind A&M and SC, but Vic has proven his ability to reload without a down season. Plus he's getting his highest-rated recruit ever in Rickea Jackson.
  • Tennessee is a wildcard with its new coaching staff and the addition of Horston. I'll be very surprised if they win the SEC, but it can't be ruled out.
I understand your comment on MSU. Further they are playing well in Italy, much better than I would have predicted. They are also getting a lot of production from the freshmen. However J Holmes is still with the team this summer and her presence is huge, both on and off the court. I agree it’s hard to not think that Vic will continue his normal trend. However I can’t definitively point to the leader of this team once J Holmes is gone.

Reaction Score
I understand your comment on MSU. Further they are playing well in Italy, much better than I would have predicted. They are also getting a lot of production from the freshmen. However J Holmes is still with the team this summer and her presence is huge, both on and off the court. I agree it’s hard to not think that Vic will continue his normal trend. However I can’t definitively point to the leader of this team once J Holmes is gone.
I think MSST has a great chance to win SEC this coming season. I also was pleasantly surprised with MSST World University Games performance, I did not expect our freshmen to play so well. Agree we will miss Jazz and Big T but MSST has depth like we have never had before. PG play will, IMO, determine how well MSST does this next season.

Reaction Score
I think Miss State will be very good, but I'm not sure I think they'll have the best offense in the SEC. I'd question the shooting a bit, particularly since I do not anticipate teams will have to collapse around the post quite as much. I do think they'll rebound the hell out of the ball and Rickea Jackson just might be good enough to carry them even as a freshman.

Reaction Score
I think Miss State will be very good, but I'm not sure I think they'll have the best offense in the SEC. I'd question the shooting a bit, particularly since I do not anticipate teams will have to collapse around the post quite as much. I do think they'll rebound the hell out of the ball and Rickea Jackson just might be good enough to carry them even as a freshman.
They do return two players who shot >42% from three in Bibby and Espinoza-Hunter, both are the best returning three point shooters in the SEC. From what I understand, Rickea Jackson shoots the three well too. Potentially three starters who shoot the three really well, and AEH gets it off really quick and Bibby has a high release, so both can shoot without much time or space.

Reaction Score
Agree with this. I think Amihere has the highest upside of all of our freshmen. I think Beal is the one most ready to contribute on day 1. Boston is going to be that next great SC post player. Cooke is going to be very Asia Durr-like by the time she graduates.

Amihere gets overshadowed because nobody has seen her in over a year and she's coming off an injury (keeping her healthy will be a key), but prior to injury she was #2 in that class for a reason.

Most improved: Tennessee

Dark Horses: I think Arkansas. That Razorback backcourt scares the crap out of me.. it will be one of the highest scoring in the league IMO.

Right now I'd rank the league

1a - A&M
1b - SC
1c - Miss State

4. Arkansas
5. Kentucky
6. Tennessee
7. Misery
8. Auburn
9. LSU
10. Georgia
11. Alabama
12. Ole Miss
13. Florida
14. Vanderbilt

Your predictions are pretty spot on. I personally think SC has the advantage on both Miss St and A&M this year with both games being at home. We win both of those games then we have a greater chance of winning the SEC than anyone else. It’s time we started a new home winning streak this year.

Brea and Aliyah will start imo with Destanni, Ty and KiKi. Dawn will bring her spark plugs off the bench (Zia, LA, LeLe, Victaria, Olivia, and E). If Littleton is eligible she will likely start at 3, but for now Brea is my pick.

Reaction Score
Your predictions are pretty spot on. I personally think SC has the advantage on both Miss St and A&M this year with both games being at home. We win both of those games then we have a greater chance of winning the SEC than anyone else. It’s time we started a new home winning streak this year.

Brea and Aliyah will start imo with Destanni, Ty and KiKi. Dawn will bring her spark plugs off the bench (Zia, LA, LeLe, Victaria, Olivia, and E). If Littleton is eligible she will likely start at 3, but for now Brea is my pick.
SEC is going to be interesting next year. Home court is big and I agree SC does have that advantage against both MSST and A&M, however A&M has the more experienced team. Before Italy I thought both SC and A&M had the edge over MSST, now after see how well MSST is playing I think theses games will be a tossup.

Reaction Score

Most improved: tempting to go with Vandy, Florida, or Ole Miss because it would be hard for them to do worse than last year. ;)
More serious answer would probably be Arkansas. I think they are still flawed and losing Malica Monk will hurt, but making the NCAAs at all would qualify them for consideration IMO.

Dark horses:
The one I'm not seeing mentioned is Auburn. They lose their starting backcourt, IIRC, but my sense is that they tend to reload at guard in Williams-Flournoy's system and the other dark horse candidates have similar issues with attrition. Unique Thompson is good in the post. But mostly it's because their style of play on D drives other teams crazy. They always seem to be offensively challenged, but I keep thinking of the defensively oriented A&M and Kentucky teams early in Blair and Mitchell's tenures at those schools. Of course, Auburn hasn't done it so far, but I'm thinking they might benefit from turnover at other schools in both players and coaches giving them a better than usual chance to get the right combination of upsets and other teams knocking each other off this season.

A question for my fellow SEC fans: Does anyone know a source for who plays 1X vs 2X this coming season and who is home vs away. That could matter.

Reaction Score
SEC is going to be interesting next year. Home court is big and I agree SC does have that advantage against both MSST and A&M, however A&M has the more experienced team. Before Italy I thought both SC and A&M had the edge over MSST, now after see how well MSST is playing I think theses games will be a tossup.

Meh. A&M will still live and die by Chennedy Carter imo. While they return their entire starting five they will still have little depth off the bench. SC will likely be playing in front of 15,000+ so the pressure will definitely be on the away team. Also how can you say the games will be a tossup by simply watching Miss St? You haven't even seen what SC or A&M will look like yet you think it’ll be a tossup.....

Reaction Score
I think A&M will be much improved simply because all their starters last year were only sophomores and they add back Wilson, who is a really good shooter. A&M tends to live and die by Carter but I trust Coach Blair to improve that group and build on what they did last year. They should be great defensively with more to build on from a lot of youth last year. Washington can come from off the bench and

They went 12-4 in the conference last year, they definitely are in discussion to possibly win the SEC with SC. While SC should be good, we will have to wait and see how those highly touted freshmen translate to the college level. Losing Cooper, Jennings, and Cuevas Moore is still a bit of production.

Reaction Score
I think A&M will be much improved simply because all their starters last year were only sophomores and they add back Wilson, who is a really good shooter. A&M tends to live and die by Carter but I trust Coach Blair to improve that group and build on what they did last year. They should be great defensively with more to build on from a lot of youth last year. Washington can come from off the bench and

They went 12-4 in the conference last year, they definitely are in discussion to possibly win the SEC with SC. While SC should be good, we will have to wait and see how those highly touted freshmen translate to the college level. Losing Cooper, Jennings, and Cuevas Moore is still a bit of production.

I never said A&M wouldn’t be improved or good I just simply think they will live and die by Carter and they’re still lacking depth next year. I certainly think they’re in the discussion to win the SEC, I just think the matchup favors SC. I’m by any means not underestimating anyone here, both A&M and Miss St could win the SEC.

SC will definitely be young but they have a far tougher schedule than both Miss St and A&M next year that definitely will prepare them for the SEC. I look for players like Henderson, Saxton and Grissett to make up the loss of Jennings, Cooper and Cuevas-Moore.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I never said A&M wouldn’t be improved or good I just simply think they will live and die by Carter and they’re still lacking depth next year. I certainly think they’re in the discussion to win the SEC, I just think the matchup favors SC. I’m by any means not underestimating anyone here, both A&M and Miss St could win the SEC.
I'm not sure lack of depth per se is really the issue. None of last year's Final Four teams went substantively deeper than 6 except when forced by foul trouble or injury.

I also don't think the SEC race will come down to one game in Columbia. It's 16 games and I'd be shocked if anyone gets through it undefeated or with only one loss. The key will be consistency, something which young teams aren't typically known for. SC might well be the exception; we shall see. No doubt they have talent.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom